Back to School Goody Bags

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by ThirdGrade123, Aug 8, 2006.

1. ThirdGrade123

ThirdGrade123 Companion

Aug 8, 2006

I usually put together back to school goody bags. In the past, I made Back to School Survival Kits. However this year I have 27 children and I'm afraid that I'll become broke making them!

Do any of you give back to school goody bags or gifts in general. If so, what are they?

Thanks!

3. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Aug 8, 2006

I usually do a survival kit as well. This year I have 23 on my list (usually have 19) so I am just going to do a smaller bag for each student.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 8, 2006

I used to, but now I don't. They get so much new stuff anyway that it doesn't seem to make much of a difference to them. If you teach low-income students, though, it might be helpful. I'd still probably just stock the room really well with extra supplies.

5. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Aug 8, 2006

Just curious, what do you guys put in your survival kits? That is such a great idea!!!

6. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Aug 8, 2006

To stick with my jungle theme I ordered my items from Oriental Trading company
    they had the jungle/zoo bags, erasers, notepad, pencils, stickers, and bookmark
    the jungle card will say:
    A Warm Jungle Welcome To Our Class
    Eraser: Because we all make mistakes and that's ok
    Smarties Candy: For how smart we are
    Stickers: We'll stick together
    Notepad: We'll have fun writing
    Pencil: We'll be a sharp bunch
    Bookmark: We'll read lots of great books

7. 4shawnee

4shawnee Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

I give the students a "ticket coupon" to bring back the first day of school at our assessment day. The kids come the week before school starts for 30 minutes to meet me, pick out their desk, bring their school supplies and do a reading and math assessment.
    At the end, I give them the coupon and on the first day of school they get their goodie bag. This year, I put a notebook (small spiral), stickers,fun pencil, and bookmark. I struggled with ideas too- so let me know what you're doing- thanks!
    Shawnee

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 8, 2006

I make goodie bags, but most of what I put in there is what I would normally give them. (5th grade pencil, bookmark, and sticker; highlighter (They "write their name in lights" by highlighthing name, number and date to make sure they put them); large eraser, pen, and other bookmarks I would normally give, in addition they get - sucker, bag of Cheezits, activity pad, and keychain rubiks cube).

9. bonteach

bonteach Companion

Aug 8, 2006

For 3rd, I usually give a pencil, a pen, a cute eraser and a magnet that has my name and number on it. I also give a bookmark. I cant think of what else, but there may be one other thing.

10. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Aug 8, 2006

Oh - thanks for reminding me! Here's mine:

A Student Survival Kit - The items in this bag have special meaning:
    * The cotton ball is to remind you that this room is full of kind words and warm feelings.
    * The chocolate kiss is to comfort you when you are feeling sad.
    * The tissue is to remind you to help dry someone's tears.
    * The sticker is to remind you that we all stick together and help each other.
    * The star is to remind you to shine and always try your best.
    * The rubber band is to remind you to hug someone.
    * The penny is to remind you that you are valuable and special.
    * The toothpick is to remind you to "pick out" the good qualities in your classmates.
    * The bandage is to heal hurt feelings in your friends and in yourself.
    * The gold thread is to remind you that friendship ties our hearts together.
    * The eraser is to remind you that we all make mistakes, and that is okay.
    * The Life Savers are to remind you that you can come to me if you need someone to talk to.

11. Mimi223

Mimi223 Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

I always give goody bags. What I do is leave of crayons from my school supply list and then inside the bag I give the students a box of 24 crayons. Then I fill it up with pencils, erasers, candy etc etc
    Crayons are .20 at Target and I only have 19 students.

12. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Aug 9, 2006

Hear hear!
    (I don't understand why teachers give so much to their students.. If they are low income then maybe they could borrow some things from school, but unless...? Nope.)
    Starting school is already a big shopping sprea for them..

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 9, 2006

Again, most of what I give is things that I want them to have and that they might not have day 1 (I live and teach in a very low socioeconomic area). I guess you're right I don't "have to" give them anything. I choose to do so to be nice. I've never considered doing otherwise. I remember getting small things from my teachers and they meant a lot. I guess that's why I continue to do so.

14. 3rdgrdteach

3rdgrdteach Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

On another message board I found a cute/inexpensive "goody bag" for students. The teacher put Lucky Charms cereal in a bag with the following note attached:

Welcome to ___ grade!
    This special treat is to remind you that I’m glad you are in my class. Search the bag, and inside you should find:

A yellow star to remind you to always shine.
    A pot of gold to remind you that you are worth a million.
    A colorful rainbow to remind you to always do your best.
    A blue moon to remind you that sometimes we will all make mistakes.
    A green clover to give you luck as you start fifth grade.
    A purple horseshoe to remind you that U matter!
    A red balloon to remind you to soar above the clouds and try new things.
    And most importantly, a pink heart to remind you that as your teacher, I care about you!

I thought this was a cute idea with an inexpensive price tag, and I plan to use it to start school with my 5th graders this year. Have a great year!

15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 9, 2006

I make goodie bags with the following and pass them out the first or second day.
    pencil top eraser with smiley face: we all make mistakes but it's not the end of the world
    book mark with study skills listed:enough said
    4 or 5 stickers: they can reward themselves for hard work when they want
    a pencil: Welcome to my class or something else on it
    a few smaller sticky notes: They may need to remind themselves of something important

I try to keep the baggies smaller and the objects practical. The symbolic things are nice, but I never know what to do with them later. I'm sure the kids wouldn't either and that most of the stuff would eventually find its way into the trash bin. Not how I want to spend my money.

16. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Aug 9, 2006

This is a great idea. I don't know how many kids I have yet but maybe I'll try to put something together for the first day, or maybe even the 2nd day, which is a Monday so I get an extra two day to make them.

17. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 9, 2006

I like all those ideas. I think it will make the kids feel special,--most of them will remember for years to come that Mrs._____ gave them that goodie bag in _______ grade. My second grade teacher gave us all buttons that said "Kids are special people too!" (it was after pictue day and she glued the tiny picture of each of us on the back of our pins). Most of them are going to be nervous about their first day and this sounds like a wonderful way to get them to calm their nerves.

18. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

I teach in a low income area also, so I make sure my students have some things. I usually make them a bag that they can take home at open house or on the first day if they don't come to OH. Inside, I just put a pencil, some candy, and a sheet of stickers. On their desk on the first day, I have a gallon ziploc bag with a pencil, crayons, and scissors. At our school we're supposed to provide crayons and scissors.

19. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 9, 2006

wow - maybe i'm mean but i don't give any 'goodie bags' out - i do, however, make sure all my students have all the supplies they will need for school - in my room - we share everything. i send a letter home to parents saying, in my room, no supplies are needed, but do have a wish list of items for the class. i also tell them not to bring anything in they don't want to share. i spend all my money making sure there are crayons, markers, pencils, erasers, glue, scissors, etc. for each child to use and share. i do give them each a bookmark the first day - but that's it.

20. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 9, 2006

i love the lucky charms idea.....
    i have only given small things that first day....i teach first and i stress that our classroom is filled with smarties (readers and writers) each letter i write my class is entitled dear smarties and they get smarties throughout the year. i just start it that first day!

i do think kids like to receive things....it isn't a must but they remember if your class had a niche.

21. 4shawnee

4shawnee Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

I don't think it's a common thing to do...I truthfully don't know of many teachers in my district that do, but I agree, if it's something you'd enjoy doing, by all means go for it! I have more fun giving it then I think the kids have receiving it...It's kinda like a hostess gift- fun way to end that first day of school I do agree, it's a nice little ice-breaker- I'm so stealing the lucky charms idea- easy and adorable! I am going to stick a note in the bag saying "Michael" had a great first day of school! I remember my sons first grade teacher brought that little note home, and it was a nice feeling :)
    Here's to goody bags! Have fun:p