Back-to-School Clothes

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jul 31, 2016.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Jul 31, 2016

I tend to buy myself a new belt, shoes, and some slacks and shirts (I guess a little bit of everything). I try to not spend more than $300 (I do splurge on things throughout the year, though).

I got my nephew a monogrammed backpack and lunch bag. He's a 2nd grader and specifically requested "nothing with cartoon characters!" :(

3. miss-m

miss-m Cohort

Jul 31, 2016

I got myself a couple new professional outfits for this year, with the plan of buying some more professional clothing after the school year gets going. Getting new stuff for a new start is always fun. :)

I'm sure your nephew will be styling with his fancy monogrammed gear, though it's kinda crazy to me that a 2nd grader wouldn't want anything with characters on it! At least it'll be good for a while instead of just something he'll like for a little bit.

4. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Aug 1, 2016

Same. I always get myself a few new outfits and shoes. I tend to get many coupons this time of year and use them to their full advantage.

5. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Aug 1, 2016

I always buy a few new things but this year I'm starting out 7.5 months pregnant so I had to get maternity shirts. I'll have to go shopping again once the baby is here.

I think my favorite part of back to school shopping is shopping for my kids!

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Aug 1, 2016

I bought two pairs of dress pants and two dresses. I've bought several light cardigans. We can't wear sleeveless anymore, and most of my wardrobe is sleeveless.

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2016

I updated my wardrobe from the Goodwill. I bought professional button downs, practically brand new, name brands for like $5 a shirt. It was CRAZY! I look at it and think, "Wow this shirt would be at least $30 in the mall!"
    :eek:

And it's not like they're all misshapen or full of holes and stains. It's just somebody had a brand new shirt that they didn't want and decided to make room for their new shopping spree. So I lucked out. WOO! It's too bad the nearest Goodwill now is over 100 miles away since I've moved. :(

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 1, 2016

When returning to work, I like to get:

- shoes
    - few to several tops, but I don't need any this time...I have to put what I have in the cleaners
    - 2-3 bottoms
    - definitely make sure makeup is stocked enough for the 1st 1-2 mos at least

Don't need jewelry, handbag, or watch normally.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  9. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Aug 1, 2016

I go for another pair of shoes - I'm hard on them, or they are hard on me, but they have a limited lifespan. My sister will take me shopping when I go out at the end of August - her fashion sense is wonderful, mine makes no sense to anyone. So some new tops and maybe slacks. I was quite ill over the winter, and lost about 20 pounds, so most of my tops still fit, but I am in between on quite a few of my pants. Not complaining about losing weight, simply know that it is easier to buy clothes when not in between sizes. New watch battery is a must. Thank you, Ms. I for putting that on my to do list.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 1, 2016

I'm just happy that, as a tutor, I don't really need much of anything. I tutor at a tennis club so the kids all are kind of half naked (tennis garb is quite form fitting these days) so I figure anything I wear will pass muster. I did grab some leggings and tunic length tops, though.

janlee and vickilyn like this.
  11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2016

I always pick up a few things before the beginning of the school year. This year I'd like to get some new shoes and some more tops. I've noticed that I'm not happy with hardly any of my tops when I go into my closet. Will be going shopping this weekend with my little! She's going into 7th grade so needs some new clothes as well.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  12. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 2, 2016

I tend to buy some new tops, I wore out many I had from last year. I'm in the process of losing weight so my hope is I get to buy new pants. I'm good on shoes, sweaters, cardigans and such. Maybe I'll buy a dress for the first day. But I still have more than a. Month til school starts.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Aug 2, 2016

When losing weight, take that weight loss as far as possible before investing in new clothes. Trust me - been there! :)

14. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 2, 2016

Oh I know! I'll wear my pants until they give me what I call "diaper butt". I've been down this road more than I care to admit.

Backroads and Upsadaisy like this.
  15. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2016

I've got myself a few things this year, but I also have the benefit of using clothes from two years ago as last year back-to-school I was shopping for professional maternity clothes. Now I can use "new old clothes."

Upsadaisy likes this.
  16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2016

Our dress code was changed this year (new P!). So, everything I bought over the summer is no longer suitable. I bought one outfit for open house tomorrow and we have next week off so guess what I'll be doing?

Backroads likes this.
  17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 4, 2016

swansong1, wow, everything you bought all summer is no longer good! Hopefully, you kept the tags on most of them to return them.

I actually start at a new district, so I wonder if we can wear jeans. I'll just have to see how everyone else dresses in the first couple weeks.

QUESTION: What kind of casual shoes are extremely comfy, but dressier than sneakers or flats, yet goes w/ practically ANY outfit?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  18. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 4, 2016

I know you said no flats, but I bought these crocs on sale and I really love them. they're nicer than traditional flats.

19. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 4, 2016

I'm on a really tight budget right now, so I went to Ross. I had never shopped there before! It's obviously not the selection of a regular store, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that I found some things that I really liked. I got four tops, a dress, and a pair of pants for around $60!

Upsadaisy likes this.
  20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Aug 4, 2016

Bargains are good!

I paid full price for a pair of jeans this week and I never do that, but these fit perfectly and make me look better than I am...so that's good.

21. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 5, 2016

I seriously believe you can't put a price on better than great fitting jeans.

ms.irene and teacherintexas like this.