Back to School After Christmas Break

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teaching4God, Jan 2, 2010.

1. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jan 2, 2010

Anyone here do something special for your kids after you some back from Christmas break?

3. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Jan 2, 2010

Not really...I ease back into things, though. I know this upcoming week will be a little rough for me as well, so I try not to go too hard on them right after a break! :)

I teach an honors class that finished reading To Kill a Mockingbird and tested on it right before break, so we'll be watching the movie this week and doing some activities with it.

My other classes are starting on new units, so notes and into activities for them.

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 2, 2010

I say "Good morning, I'm Mr. dfleming... I will be your teacher for the rest of the year while Mrs. Smith is off going to school herself. I'm so excited for everything we're going to learn together! Let's get started"

Or something like that.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2010

"It's great to see you all! Here are your essays and stories that I marked over the holidays. You all need to have a book for independent reading this week and you have a reading journal due this week." I'll do a writing mini-lesson on apostrophes (they made a lot of mistakes with this) and they'll do an entry in their writing journal. We need to hit the ground running.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 2, 2010

Umm, we are going to take writer's workshop on a more formal level SO I told my kids they get special writing tools when they come back from the break. I told them they already get presents before the holidays so I was saving this for after the holidays. They ate that up.

Basically I am giving them cute plastic tote boxes that stack with their own pencil boxes inside (that we haven't used because we have community supplies) filled with new colored pencils, decorative pencils, pencil erase toppers and the pink kind and pencil grips. Then I am putting a nicer folder in there (translation: plastic not as easy to destruct kind). Then they will have 2 new trays. One is for new journal paper and the other is for finished work. Nothing else goes in these trays. This paper was introduced to them right before the break. It is special too. It's just paper I got from a school I observed. It's almost identical to what they were already doing but loose leaf and a box that defines the drawing area. We will review the writing process including the editing part I just taught before the break. Then I will break out the cool official writing tools they just got. They have become good readers. We have a space for guided reading and a space for independent reading. Now we have to have tools and space for becoming authors. We studied Eric Carle so I will point out his studio and how he had all his writing and illustration tools organized and set up ahead of time. We will talk about how to take care of their tools. Then I will let them go "play" with them as they do their first entry with their new box.

Is that the kind of thing you were thinking of? Hehe.

There is a teacher that cracks me up because she has her kids thinking that spelling activities is actually rest time. They get a blanket, the lights are slightly dimmed and they lay on the floor for a specified timer time. The kids ASK for the rest time. They do the work and look forward to it but they think they are resting. They are quiet too! That's an added bonus.

7. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jan 2, 2010

Sounds nice. :)

8. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jan 2, 2010

It's funny how we convince kids to do some things. :)

9. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jan 2, 2010

We are going to practice procedures and review what we learned the 2 days before break. I'm going to introduce new social studies and science concepts.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 2, 2010

I'll continue working at 3 schools w/ the same LSH students I did when we returned from the Thanksgiving break.

I can't believe we return the day after tomorrow already...no! :eek:

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2010

I'm getting 6 new students - all boys!!! So, sounds like procedures, procedures, procedures.

12. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 2, 2010

Nothing special. I will give hugs, acknowledge the new year, and go over rules again. We have some new things going as far as rewards and consequences. I'll make good upstanding fourth graders out of them if it's the last thing I do! :thumb:

Although from the looks of the weather station, we might actually have a snow day Monday.

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 2, 2010

I posted this in the kindergarten forum, but it fits here too ;) On the first Friday back we have a winter celebration - we ask the kids to bring their winter clothes (mittens, scarf, jacket, whatever) and we have a sight-word snowball fight (write the words on white paper, crumple, toss, the students pick up a word and if they can read it they get to toss it) and have chicken soup with rice (we read the chicken soup poem for the month every morning). It kind of bridges the fun of all the holidays while keeping it educational.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2010

"Hey guys, Happy New Year! Anyone who wants their trimester exam grade can see me before or after school.

OK, now before the break we were talking about...."

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2010

Sounds like fun, Tasha!

16. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Jan 3, 2010

I think reteaching expectations is extremely important, so I have a refresher PowerPoint I go through with each class on the first day after break. After that we go on a "tour" of the school to practice hallway behaviors. From start to finish, it only takes twenty minutes of time but gets us started on the right foot. Then, to work we go!

17. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 3, 2010

Reviewing rules & procedures & delving right back in.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2010

We'll have a sparkling apple cider toast, some goal-setting for the new year and then plunging right into some new units of study.

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 3, 2010

Because of bad weather, my son's IEP date got changed 3 times and now has been scheduled for tomorrow (our first day back) and so I have a sub for part of the day. I am revving up writer's workshop but nothing else new.

20. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 3, 2010

I'll show up. LOL

Seriously, I'll hit the floor running, there's a lot of skills to cover and this is my favorite time of the year for teaching. There's little time off for holidays, so there's a lot of continuity of curriculum.

I'll have the students write their goals for the new year.

21. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2010

Yay dfleming!

I love that idea, czacza! I think my co-teacher is planning on doing New Year's resolutions on Tuesday (we have special during writing tomorrow), so maybe I'll pick some up for Tuesday if you don't mind me borrowing that idea ;)

As for me, I'll be starting right back up with my reading and math lessons...from where I left off right before the fun days before break. My co-teacher in 3rd is taking the slower route this week, so in the other subjects, I'll be following her lead since she usually teaches them.