Back to school activity for students with Learning Disabilities?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teacher girl, Jul 28, 2013.

1. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Jul 28, 2013

I am a first year LD teacher... and I am having trouble with thinking of a back to school activity/ break the ice/ introduce yourself to the class activity.

I need something that is engaging, but not too difficult for my students. I keep finding stuff online but it incorporates alot of reading and writing on behalf of the students, and I'm not sure if my kids would be able to do that independently, any suggestions?

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 28, 2013

What grades?

4. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 29, 2013

What grades? What kind of classroom? Co-teaching/Inclusion? Resource? Self-contained?

5. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Jul 29, 2013

K-2 resource

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2013

How about using a pre cut out shape...(I've seen tee shirts, sneakers, footprints for example)... Then have kids decorate with pictures and words about themselves, what they like, their favorite school subjects...have kids share when finished and hang up on bb with saying such as:

Tee-riffic students
    Stepping into a new year
    Off on the right foot...

7. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Jul 29, 2013

I love that idea !!! Thank you : )

8. FourSquare

FourSquare Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2013

I had students do collages of people/things that inspired them. I hung them up on part of our wall and referred to them throughout the year when work got difficult.

9. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Jul 30, 2013

I like that idea as well : ) I think that would be cute to get them to make their own collages and that they are able to reflect on them throughout the year.

10. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jul 30, 2013

I like that idea as it would give me an opportunity to know them. I can have them write a paragraph about their collage to assess their writing.

11. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 30, 2013

I'll be getting ten new students this year. So I came up with my own ice breaker. I'm going to split students up into two teams. I'll supervise one group and my aide can supervise the other one. Each team will be given a large set of paper letters, glue sticks, and a piece of colored construction paper. I velcro their nameplates to their desks so they'll have those too for reference. When I blow the whistle, the TEAM (with our help) will choose a new friend on their team and looking at that person's name plate will re-create their name on the construction paper with the paper letters. I'm still trying to figure out a way to reward the winning team without making the other team mad (VERY TRICKY in K-2). Afterward, we'll go around the room, everyone will introduce his or her new friend and hold their construction paper name up. Then I'll take individual pictures of the kiddos holding their names up (for center pictures) AND take pics of them with their new friends - so they can take a picture home to show their folks.

Sounds kinda complicated but it's a way that each student can make at least one new friend and no writing involved. Just letter sense, gluing, and copying skills.