AWOL Students/no more restroom breaks?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by RussianBlueMommy, Feb 9, 2018.

1. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Feb 9, 2018

Does anyone ever get AWOL students? The roaming students who leave for the restroom and never return.? Due to the recent influx and propensity of so many students to do this- it was becoming an epidemic, Admin told us today that from now on, there will be no more restroom breaks for kids during class, immediately and until further notice.

I am of 2 minds in this. I have a list of kids in my mind that I do not let leave, because they have notoriously burned me umpteen times and never returned. Several kids I work with on a regular basis are on administrative/ARD orders to not leave the room without adult accompaniment. But now it seems the whole student body is being punished?

What are your thoughts on this? I feel as if even the students who are legitimately needing to go to the restroom will now have to hold it or have an accident? They do get 4 minutes between class, but we have a huge campus.

It seems unfair to punish the whole student body for the actions of some.

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 9, 2018

Punish the ones that abuse the breaks. Keep a list up as NO GO like stores keep names up of those who can't write checks. You don't punish everyone by not allowing the good folks to not write anymore checks because Joe Blow and Jane Doe keep bouncing theirs. You stop taking checks from Joe and Jane. You don't keep the real restroom needers from going because the AWOLs run off.

Obadiah likes this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Feb 9, 2018

We have had to do this in the past.

We had an issue with kids vandalizing the bathroom, cutting themselves, smoking, etc. that we had to prohibit restroom use during class time. Classes were only 55 minutes long, so it wasn't like they were asked to go long periods without a break. And if a student did insist on going during class time, he/she had to go to the main office. They signed them in and out.

5. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Feb 9, 2018

My classroom is right across the hall from the bathrooms, so if a student seems to be up to shenanigans and not actually using said facilities, I can follow them as far as the class door area and watch them enter the bathroom.

To your situation...

Ideally, you punish the miscreants.

But it also sounds like this has evolved into a situation where that's sadly not reasonable for most of the average teachers. I generally try to avoid group punishment, but I am aware of a school of thought that does it, admits it, but also says it's part of being in a team--one person screws up, it affects the rest.

6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 9, 2018

That policy will be out the door as soon as one parent complains.

Backroads likes this.
  7. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Feb 9, 2018

We only have 45 minute classes... I would venture that the average teenager could hold it.

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Feb 10, 2018

How old are your students?

Obadiah likes this.
  9. TeacherFails

TeacherFails Rookie

Feb 10, 2018

One of my former schools had this issue right after they got rid of hallway passes. My current school still requires the use of hallway passes - the hallway pass for my class is an old football helmet filled up halfway with concrete. Tends to make them not run around so much. :)

Of course there is nothing that is stopping them from roaming around while carrying the hallway pass, but it's easier to root out the bad ones whenever they would roam off without it. "I'm sorry but you can't use the bathroom because <student> hasn't returned the hallway pass yet."

No better punishment then that from their peers.

10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Feb 10, 2018

It seems like another way to monitor this would be hall passes with time limits... Three minutes to go and get back or you get detention, or something like that.

11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 10, 2018

I would have had an issue with this in HS. We had 5 minutes between classes, but since everything got their own "wing" (math wing, science wing, english wing, etc.) that guaranteed that none of your classes would be next to each other. Add in super crowded hallways, and there wasn't time in between classes to go to the bathroom and get to the next class on time.

I remember one teacher who I particularly disliked who constantly told us that if we couldn't figure out how to get to her room on time, she'd practice walking our route with us after school to prove how quickly it could be done. Sure, in empty hallways it can be done quite quickly!

12. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Feb 10, 2018

I am fine with letting my students go to the bathroom. If they ask (in their mode of communication), they can go to the bathroom (usually without an adult).

---Unfortunately, that is usually the case. A few students do something wrong, then all students get punished.
    *You could limit all students to 1 hall pass a week. (If the students take longer than a reasonable amount of time, maybe have the students stay after school to make-up missed time.)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  13. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2018

As most of you know, I work in a private school with a SPED population. Our classes are only 42 minutes long, but the passing time is 1 minute. We can't have more than one student of the same sex in the bathroom at a time. We must literally call and put our students on the list, and students wait to be called out. SMALL SCHOOL, so not for everyone, but if OP's school could identify the students who have abused the bathroom policy, perhaps a call out for those students would work until a better solution is found. It will require personnel to make it work.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Backroads likes this.
  14. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Feb 11, 2018

Kids do test the rules. It's part of growing up. Most learn to follow the rules but there's always a few that don't conform. Restricting an entire group gives these nonconformists a lot of undeserved power. They not only learn that they've altered the course of function for an entire population, but the administration has shown they are powerless to stop them. Perhaps a better solution would be for a random hall monitoring by available staff, perhaps just 5 or 10 minutes to sweep through the halls, and AWOLers receive restrictions.

15. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Feb 11, 2018

1 minute passing time???? (unreasonable, if you ask me.)

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2018

Unless you have seen the building and how it is set up, don't judge.

17. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Feb 11, 2018

I'd believe it in a small school. (My niece attends a three-room school house).

18. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 11, 2018

We've had to do this before. Kids with medical needs get exceptions. We have some very vocal parents that tend to get their way a lot, but usually not with school wide rules that have a safety component. When I have had students that took advantage, usually a conversation with a parent takes care of it.

19. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Feb 11, 2018

Oh, sorry.

20. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2018

Not being snotty - it is all SPED, small classes, short distances, locked doors. If they aren't where they are supposed to be in that minute, we are calling for them. Too much freedom breeds trouble.

21. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Feb 12, 2018

Ok, that makes more sense. have a good day,