Awaiting moderation before being displayed publicly.

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & FAQ' started by Xerographica, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Xerographica

Xerographica Rookie

Feb 16, 2017

Hi,
    I made my first post yesterday but somehow it got stuck in moderation. I wanted to send a private message to one of the moderators but I wasn't able to figure out how to do so.
    Assistance would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

3. miss-m

miss-m Cohort

Feb 16, 2017

You can't send a pm until you have a certain number of posts. I wouldn't worry too much since apparently you're able to post now! :)

4. Xerographica

Xerographica Rookie

Feb 16, 2017

Hi miss-m, thanks for the reply! Yup, it sure seems like I can post now... but the first thread that I posted is still in moderation. So... ? I should just be patient? :)

Secondary Teach likes this.
  5. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Feb 16, 2017

Welcome to A to Z! Are you attempting to post a URL, link, image, photo, or video in your thread? Your thread may be awaiting moderation, because those attachments need to be reviewed.
    :)

6. Xerographica

Xerographica Rookie

Feb 16, 2017

Secondary Teach, thanks for the welcome! Yeah, my first thread did contain a bunch of links. But the system preventing me from posting it. So I removed all the links and I was able to post it. Sometime later I was curious about the total lack of replies and I realized that nobody could see my post because "Awaiting moderation before being displayed publicly."

I suppose the "guilty until proven innocent" policy reflects the fact that too many new posters are spammers? I swear I'm innocent! :D

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 16, 2017

That post sounded like it was promoting Google tools or other products. Combined with the fact that it was an unusual first post, that caused me to refer it for moderation so the site owner could decide whether or not to reinstate it.

Do you want to ask me a question here?

8. Xerographica

Xerographica Rookie

Feb 16, 2017

I appreciate the explanation Upsadaisy. Well... yes... my post does strongly promote Google tools (email, docs, sheets, slides and classroom) for students. These tools are super awesome and it's really important for students to know how to use them. I was about to say that these tools are all free and then I realized that I have no idea if the school has to pay Google some sort of licensing fee. ???

But clearly the school made the decision to make these tools available for their students. And for sure it's not like I get some sort of commission for promoting Google's tools. Sadly, I don't work for Google. :(

I have to admit though that I'm a bit surprised that this was the reason for the moderation. I guess I'm the first person to sing the praises of Google tools for students? Well... then... at least nobody can accuse me of preaching to the choir!

So now I suppose that the fate of my thread lies in the hand of the site owner. That's certainly fair! But in my defense I did look at the FAQ first. I saw the warning about not posting anything overtly political... but didn't see anything about Google.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 16, 2017

No, nothing taboo about Google or Google tools. If you search the forums, you will see other discussions about their use. It was your fervor about the topic that was unusual and that your intent wasn't clear. Did you want to discuss the use of the tools by other teachers? Ask for additional ways teachers have used them successfully? Compare notes with others? The reason the post seemed a bit suspicious was because no interaction with other members was requested.

I suggest that you continue to familiarize yourself with the site and the style of communication here that seems to generate conversation or solve problems. That is the purpose of the forums.

10. Xerographica

Xerographica Rookie

Feb 16, 2017

Too much passion for the subject? :/ Not sure what to do about that!

No interaction with other members was requested? In the beginning I mentioned that I was looking for blogs (with posts by students) to link to my friend's blog (and vice versa). I also mentioned that my friend was looking for "share pals" for her students. And at the end of my post I asked if anybody was interested in collaborating and whether anybody had any questions.

But I do appreciate that my post was primarily about sharing information. It was basically a presentation on how my friend and I have been working together to try and provide her students with an awesome learning environment. Of course I was simply guessing and hoping that at least a few other teachers would find the information and ideas useful. If not, then oh well! Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

But for sure I'm just as interested in learning as I am in teaching! :D

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 17, 2017

Then you will feel at home here. Sorry I missed those requests. The overall tone kind of masked them. I do appreciate your enthusiasm, though. You know, sometimes you post a thread and it gets little response and other times, when you don't expect it, you post and get tons of responses. It isn't always a reflection on your thread; sometimes it is more about the timing and how busy other members are. Enjoy!

Xerographica likes this.
  12. Xerographica

Xerographica Rookie

Feb 17, 2017

You're right that the number of replies a thread gets doesn't perfectly reveal interest in the threads. Sometimes I'll see a thread that I'm interested in replying to but then I never get around to replying. That's why the "Like" button is useful... it's a quick and easy way to express interest/appreciation.

Although, I have to admit that I'd be rather curious what would happen if members had the option to grade each other's threads (A - F)!

So... my thread is still in moderation... is the site owner still mulling it over?

Upsadaisy likes this.
  13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 17, 2017

I think I can reinstate it. I'll check.

Xerographica likes this.
  14. Xerographica

Xerographica Rookie

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:29 AM

Thanks! Would it be okay if I put the links back? Let me see if I can even create links yet... Classtopia. Nope. How many posts do I have to have under my belt before I can create links?

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:10 PM

At least 30 in education forums.

16. Xerographica

Xerographica Rookie

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:25 PM

Wow! That got a chuckle out of me. That's at least a gazillion standard deviations from the norm!

17. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:31 PM

Xero, while it's nice that you're interested in posting and reviving your thread, your ambitiousness and persistence does seem to give off the wrong impressions here. It seems like Upsadaisy was right, in that you're likely here to promote Google educational and classroom tools. I don't know, but it does seem to be the case here. If I were a moderator, I don't think I'd approve of the thread, even without the links. Best, Secondary Teach.
    :)

18. Xerographica

Xerographica Rookie

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:41 PM

Secondary Teach, I AM here to promote Google educational and classroom tools. Is that a problem? If so why, exactly, is it a problem? Have you used these tools? Are there issues with them that I'm not aware of? If so, it would be great if you could inform me as to what these issues are. Like I said, I'm just as interested in learning as I am teaching.