Avatar and post relation reasoning

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & FAQ' started by Subpyro, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Subpyro

Subpyro New Member

Dec 29, 2016

Hello,

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering why is there a 10-post necessity in place for users to be able to upload an avatar?

Truthfully, the only potential concern would be, in my eyes, if bots were to start massively creating accounts and uploading avatars, unnecessarily taking up space. But I have yet to see a spambot or alike upload an avatar.

Hence the only real reason would be to slightly encourage some new members to participate on the forums. But don't you think that would simply encourage more members to post spam in order to hit those 10 posts as soon as possible?

As for what made me create this thread, well, I am curious in knowing the reason, that's for one and two, I've been looking around settings for about 10 minutes and googling XenForo forum software avatar uploading ways, only to find out that there isn't a way for me to upload an avatar. Having a notice in the settings somewhere regarding this matter would be nice.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 29, 2016

Hmm. I believe there were notices in the original forum that might not have transferred over or might have changed since the switch to the new platform.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 29, 2016

Welcome to A to Z, Subpyro.

You haven't seen a spambot upload an avatar here? Good: the system is working. The restriction on very new members plays a role in that (and saves us moderators - we're all volunteers - a great deal of work).

Some of your questions we moderators can't answer. Take them up with the site owner, using the Contact Us link at the bottom right of the page. I'd recommend including your username in the email.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2016

Ten posts is nothing. Chill out and stay a while. Good things (avatars) come to those who wait.

6. Subpyro

Subpyro New Member

Dec 29, 2016

There's no use in a system if everything works exactly the same without one; as said in the OP, I have yet to see a forum board on the internet in which spambots uploaded avatars.

Well, it is no complaint, really, was just curious. And as there is no forum such as Forum Questions, Feedback & Suggestions or alike, I thought I'd create a thread here. I'll keep a notice about the Contact Us for potential further cases, though.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2016

There a FAQ. What exactly are you seeking.