Autism

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MSYPLA, May 29, 2016.

1. sjanew15

sjanew15 Rookie

Apr 9, 2017

This year and last year I had a child with autism and ESL needs in my classroom. He would cry at the drop of a hat, was sensitive to noise, smell, weird sensations, and needed directions spelled out for him very clearly. I, too, am on the spectrum and was an ESL student in the past, so I could relate to him. I even taught him how to trick people into thinking he is looking them in the eye (it's a trick I was taught by a sped teacher/ex boyfriend). I taught him how to socialize, use tools, and interact with others, but I made sure other people knew how to talk to him. We modeled social behavior and interactions as a class whenever possible, so children would know they needed to make an effort to be inclusive. It gets tiring for one person to always be thinking like everyone else, and it's nice when someone else gives you the processing time you need to be yourself. I used a lot of visuals in my classroom, lists with visual aids were big, and he always received checklists with visual aids to help him complete projects. I chunked everything into small bits, and we summarized activities after every page or after certain goal posts, so he wouldn't get confused and cycle back to a totally unrelated topic. It actually also helped me focus and stay on topic this year a lot, too. I also have a german student who is as sweet as can be, and she was his buddy until he moved back to his home country (dad was military and retired). She was so accommodating, mature, and was able to help him out when he got stuck on an idea. He also got a seat right in the front and center of the classroom.

He just needed a lot of processing time. He also really avoided eye contact, and the kids were very good about that. He felt best when he knew how to follow rules and had a friend who had his back.