Author's Purpose books

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherlissa, Aug 23, 2007.

1. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Aug 23, 2007

I need some book suggestions for AUTHOR'S PURPOSE- persuade, inform, entertain. Does anyone have any good texts (picture books)? I can figure out the inform and entertain but I can't think of any persuasive books right off the top of my head. And I would definitely take suggestions for the inform and entertain. I teach 3rd grade. :)
    Thanks!

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 23, 2007

I'd have to re-read to be sure, but what about Click, Clack, Moo for persuasion, and also Dear Mrs. LaRue.

4. Mrs.A

Mrs.A Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

Some of what we used for entertain were examples of basic Junie B. Jones, Magic Tree House, etc. For persuasion I believe we used The Wreck of the Zephyr (sp?)and Just a Dream (author is persuading people to take better care of the environment). I wish I was at school-we have a list of different books for different purposes that we used last year. If I find it I'll post again.

5. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Aug 23, 2007

Thank you so much! I would to have the list you have at school if possible. Thank you!

6. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2007

WOW, to persuade????? What about The True Story of the Three Pigs by Scieszca (sp?)? It is the story of the Three Pigs written in the voice of the big bad wolf. The children basically have to listen to his side of the story & decide who's story they believe. My kids LOVED it!!! He's definately trying to persuade the reader. Check it out!:2up:

7. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 24, 2007

Excellent suggestion!