August Birthday - When to Celebrate?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by time out, Aug 6, 2012.

1. time out

time out Comrade

Aug 6, 2012

Hi guys.

I have a student whose birthday is on August 8th and our first day of school is on August 21st. Should I celebrate her birthday sometime during the first week of school or at the end of the year, along with my summer birthdays?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone do a monthly birthday celebration for all birthdays during that month? Well, I don't really mean celebrating but rather, acknowledging.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2012

Our school calls birthdays out on the morning announcements. Summer birthdays are called out before we leave for break.
    I don't do anything special for my kids in class. They can bring a treat if they wish.
    My sister is an August baby. She always celebrated her 'half' birthday at school in February.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2012

I would ask the students what he/she prefers. If he/she wants to celebrate at the beginning of the year, great. If she/he wants to wait until the half birthday or the end of the year, great too.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 6, 2012

I would do it he first week. My school calls our birthdays. All the August birthdays are done in August and the June/July birthdays are done over the last few weeks of Mat. Whatever day they call it out is the day I give them their crown and things.

6. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 6, 2012

I am an August birthday, so I feel for the kids who have summer birthdays! I have done it many ways: half birthdays, summer birthdays in May, August birthdays in September and June/July in May. The favorite of the kids was the half birthdays.

7. time out

time out Comrade

Aug 6, 2012

Hmm...I've never heard of half birthdays. What a fun way to celebrate summer birthdays.

I think I will go ahead and ask the student what she would prefer. Thanks.

8. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2012

I do half birthdays.

9. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2012

I do half birthdays for kids who celebrate over the summer. I'd probably do the same for a kid who celebrated two weeks before school started. It's always so hectic at the beginning of the year anyway. The kids really like celebrating their half birthday.