Attention Seeking Behavior

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2019

I have a student who demonstrates many attention seeking behaviors. I am looking for the best way to manage his behavior and not let it disrupt the class.

This student is a very capable student and completes all work in my class with quality. It is strange because my class is one of the only classes where he completes all work. He is not doing well in his other classes and I think it is because math is pretty easy for him. I am honestly shocked that he's learning so much and doing so well when his behavior is so bad. Here are the behaviors he exhibits:

-Giving the wrong answer on purpose or refusing to explain an answer when I ask him to
    -Yelling out in class when he isn't supposed to: for example, if the kids are chatty, I usually say 'I'm going to start writing down names of students who are holding us up" and he will yell "that won't help!" Last week, we did one of those worksheets where they have a riddle when you finish the problems. He finished it in 5 minutes and started yelling out the answer to the riddle to the class. Today, I was redirecting the whole class when they were too loud and said "it is too loud in here, we need to stay focused." and he yelled "I know, right?"
    -I had a sub on Friday and she said he was yelling out random things during classwork.
    -He has started having loud coughing fits on purpose while I'm teaching
    -I tell the kids every day not to recycle their work and put it in their binder. Most kids listen. This student instead makes a big deal about recycling his work anyways. He left his papers on the floor today. I made him pick them up before his science class at the end of the day. He made a big deal about it and said he will recycle it anyways.
    -He had a detention with me today. He completed his weekly homework early and then loudly asked if he could recycle it (before it was put into the gradebook). I said he could put it in his binder or the turn in tray. He chose to put it in the turn in tray.
    -His other teachers tell me that he is sometimes proud of losing work in their class and that he throws assignments that he is still working on in the recycling bin. They also say he is proud of his failing grades in their classes.
    -He was pretending to talk on the phone during detention (his phone wasn't out.) He obviously wanted me to come over and try to confiscate a phone. I chose to ignore it. (There were a few other kids in my room at the time, so he was likely trying to get attention.)
    -He was banging his desk and coughing loudly during detention.
    -Throws things in class (bits of paper, etc.)
    -Sometimes refuses to take his hood off. He doesn't refuse anymore because I told him that if he doesn't take his hood off, he won't be allowed to wear a hoodie. But he makes a big deal about it and I have to ask him every day.

He is constantly seeking peer attention. I feel bad for him because I know his home life is chaotic. But it seems like he is putting on a show every day. I seat him with the only student who will actually sit with him and work with him and they do a good job getting their work done. The social worker says that he likes the attention of being a "bad kid" and getting in trouble with the teacher.

He really struggles with peer relationships and most of the other kids don't like him. He was crying in class yesterday and told me after class that two girls were calling him garbage, saying he didn't shower, etc. He was apparently bothering the girls in science class and they've been spoken to.

I'm not sure if giving positive attention would work. He sometimes asks to sit independently and does a really nice job and I give him positive attention for it. But again, it seems like he likes getting in trouble with the teacher. He hasn't asked to work independently in a while. He is much better behaved and less rude when I am speaking with him individually compared to in front of his peers.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 27, 2019

Have you tried giving him a classroom job?

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2019

I don't have classroom jobs. I usually have two students collect Do Now's every day and another kid pass out handouts for the day. I usually let him help out but a lot of kids raise their hands to help so I don't call on him every day.

A classroom job might be a good idea.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    ms.irene likes this.
  5. JimG

JimG Comrade

Mar 27, 2019

Have you tried talking to him individually and being straight with him? “You are doing x, y, and z in class, and it is not acceptable because of a, b, and c. What do we need to do to get this behavior under control?”

6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2019

Yes. There have been times where he is so defiant that he has refused to talk. He’s been a little bit better about talking recently. The social worker said that it was great that he spoke with me about the girls making fun of him because usually he would keep that to himself.

Today, I spoke with him about how the yelling is unacceptable. He completed a reflection form in his detention. But he really just responds “ok” but isn’t willing to actually have a conversation. It is really strange. I’ve had a conversation with him before about defiant behavior and he said “i like being defiant and I’m always defiant.”

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 27, 2019

I think he's bored.
    Also, even if you don't have classroom jobs, can you find something for him to do? For example he got his work done early and did it right, have him staple papers, do anything he could do.

8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2019

We aren’t allowed to do this but I have challenges when they’re done early.

9. JimG

JimG Comrade

Mar 28, 2019

It sounds like you are making progress with him which is great! Keep building that relationship.

Since you mentioned he has a social worker, I’d imagine much of his sense of control in his personal life has been stripped away which is sad. I would argue that much of his defiant behavior is rooted in trying to regain some control in his decisions, even if it means negative decisions. You might try to come up with two to three options to redirect his problematic behavior, as long as you are okay with whichever option he chooses.

10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2019

He was very badly behaved today. He refused to remove his hood, was yelling, and was imitating me as I was teaching. I wrote it up and admin talked to him. They told me to call the office if these behaviors continue tomorrow.

11. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Mar 28, 2019

What grade is this?

12. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2019

6th

13. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2019

I am still really struggling with this,

-Today, he refused to take his hood off. I called the social worker and she took his hoodie since this has happened so many times. I’m wondering if I should just let it go...I feel like he wears his hood up to get attention.
    -I passed back a graded classwork before the kids took their test. I told the kids to keep it in their binders and that they can correct or complete it if they finish their test early. He got out of his seat and yelled “I’m going to recycle it!” He makes a big deal of recycling things in my class when because I tell the kids not to recycle stuff until the unit is over. He takes pride in tossing his notes in the recycling bin on his way out of my room every day.
    -We took a test today and he was picking off pieces of his privacy folder and throwing tossing them. I told him that he would have to fix the privacy folder after school today, at which he yelled, “do you have tape? I would need tape!”
    -A few kids were talking when I was, so I said “I’m talking now.” He chose to yell “oh really!”
    -He didn’t come after school. I called the social worker (because she has him after school today) and she sent him. I had him pick up 5 things off the floor and clean up the pencil sharpener area...I figure this is a.m natural consequence of being destructive? He seemed to like the attention again, as I had other kids in my room.

14. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Apr 2, 2019

A program that might be worth your time not only for this student but, also, whole class is Responsibility Training. RT uses the peer group to monitor behavior. RT makes a hero out of alienated students, especially ones who want to be popular but don't know how.

15. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 3, 2019

called mom today and was told that she does not want to receive phone calls about his behavior every week...sigh

16. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2019

That’s how this student is. The other kids don’t really like him but he wants their attention.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 5, 2019

Well, then maybe her special snowflake should shape up! The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, obviously!

Teacher234 likes this.
  18. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Apr 5, 2019

Yep. Negative attention is better than nothing. If his peers didn't snicker, roll their eyes, make snide remarks etc. his behavior would likely extinguish quickly. If you try to ignore his antics it likely will have little effect since reinforcement from the peer group cancels out ignoring as a strategy and delivers his reward. This is not the kid to try lectures or heart-to-heart chats with either. If you do pull him aside it merely verifies that his behavior is getting to you and, again, more attention for the wrong behavior. What grade levels do you have at your school?

19. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2019

^
    6th-8th. He has a detention with me next week but again, I think he likes detentions.

20. rpan

rpan Cohort

Apr 6, 2019

Detention could be a ‘safe haven’ for him, especially if he feels his home life is rubbish (seeing as his mum doesn’t seem to care too much), then why wouldn’t he want to spend more time in school, with a teacher who has taken notice of his actions, even if they are bad.

21. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 7, 2019

The science teacher said that he used to keep asking if he would get detentions for his behaviors. His attention seeking behaviors are really bad in detention. Lots of banging tables, talking, etc. After he shredded his privacy folder, I made him come after school and pick up stuff off the floor as a consequence and he seemed to like it again.