At what point do you start forgetting student names?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TrademarkTer, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Rutherford

Rutherford Rookie

Jan 8, 2018

Well, in my case, it is easy to remember names of students who were especially close to me(or perhaps my favourites). On the other hand, those who do not fall into this category, it takes me time to recall their names since most of them undergo growth changes in a short while

2. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Jan 8, 2018

I could probably remember all of my special ed kids' names (only 6 kids per class) but beyond that when I taught middle school, no way. Except for Chrissy. Yeah, I'll never forget Chrissy. She was a hoot. I even remember the autobiography she wrote saying she was just like Garfield because they both loved lasagna LOL

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 8, 2018

I'm like someone upthread. I will release students' names in order to make room for new kids. Sometimes I remember faces and personalities but not names. Sometimes I swear I have never seen a child before.

It happens quickly too. A week into Spring semester and I will have trouble remembering names. After summer break I might not remember if I taught the student the year prior or if it had been longer. I might even wonder if I actually taught the student or if he was a student's friend I saw regularly.

I have become too adept at focusing on the here and now though. Sometimes I cannot remember conversations about students regarding incidents or special needs that really should be kept until the kids graduate.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2018

Unless you have the student until they graduate HS, or think you will really need that stuff, print it out or save it on your Google Drive in a folder that you will know where it is, and then forget it!

5. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Jan 8, 2018

I usually have about 120 students a year also. I have taught in several different places. I've also taught several different subjects/grades. So oddly, I have had certain kids three or four different times. Also, due to my schedule now of teaching two (to three some years) of different subjects means I have some kids THREE times a day. I always remember these kids sometimes many years later.

There are some kids like the frequently absent whose names I am shaky on. Often, these kids miss picture day so I can't "study" their image on my seating chart. What I am really bad at is when two kids look alike and are in the same class or very similar names in the same class. Oh, Katie, Kaitlin, and Katelyn in the same class drive me insane.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 8, 2018

If the students look like they did in third grade when they’re in their mid-twenties, then I’ll remember their names. Otherwise, they have to tell me. With the name and a good look at their eyes, I remember them then.

7. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2018

I have an incredible memory and I forget some by the end of the Summer. It really depends on how much the student interacted with me in class.

Gotta leave room for important trivia about 1980s sports records and all that.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 8, 2018

Whose age?? Who are you talking about? And how am I passing judgement?

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2018

Linguist, the wrong reply button was hit. Waterfall was speaking of her father, and that is the "he". Answered that one on my cell phone in the ER - I hate texting, fond of real typing. I am certain that your age is wonderful! :peace:

Linguist92021 likes this.
  10. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Jan 9, 2018

If I count student teaching, I can remember 5 years of students. I definitely remember all their first names, but I can't think of a few last names. None of mine have aged enough that I wouldn't recognize them, but some are getting there!

I remember very strange things. Names, for example, I'm excellent at. I can also remember what clothing I was wearing for various events, the names of other people's pets, what time of year something happened, etc. But I'm awful with future meeting schedules, phone numbers, grocery lists, where I put things, etc.