Assigning class numbers?

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Momma5, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Momma5

Momma5 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012

Is this good to do or not? Should I assign them based on size order? Like line up the class, give them their numbers that way and that number would be placed on all their folders, etc when I need to collect stuff. Or just have them do stuff by rows, which is how they will be seated. My 2nd grade teacher I ST with used numbers, and the kids still had no clue after 2 months who went where in line.

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 5, 2012

I've been thinking about doing the number thing as well, but I'm in 3rd. My ST co-op teacher did it and the kids knew their numbers. I wouldn't have them line up like that- I think that's a little too "anal" personally, but she did it mostly for confidentiality reasons. She had the numbers on the behavior chart on the board for when kids flipped their cards- so that other kids or people walking in couldn't just look up and see who was in trouble by the names. She also had them put their numbers on papers, so that she could grade them and have a student put them in mailboxes (also numbered, obviously) without that student being able to see other student's grades.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 5, 2012

I'm in high school but I give my bigger classes numbers to put on their papers because it makes it easier for me to input grades. It's easier for me to put them in numerical order than do it alphabetically.

5. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Aug 5, 2012

I am numbering my students. On their desks next to their nameplate is their student number. I assign them alphabetically. I use the numbers for my grade book & for my behavior chart. It goes by number instead of name. They will put their numbers on their paper along with their name. I haven't decided if they will line up in number order or not.

6. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Aug 5, 2012

I number my kids alphabetically in the class, then have them line up alphabetically as well. When I have new kids join, I just give them the next available number. I begin week 3 tomorrow, and my kids are doing a great job with lining up in the right spot. We are still having a few issues, but it's expected with Kinder. It cuts down on a lot of the "that's my spot" issues when they each have an assigned spot to stand.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2012

I number them alphabetically by last name. Lining up in 'number order' is always a good threat when they are misbehaving.

Just a tip- you may want to start the threads in the elementary education section, instead of 2nd grade (unless it specifically pertains to 2nd). Not as many people check the grade level forums, especially if it is not a grade level that they teach. You will get more feedback that way :)

8. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 5, 2012

My students get a number based on their height. I use a hanging shoe bag as my HW collector and the first row is somewhat high. Thus the taller students would get numbers 1 - 4. Never had a problem. They also use the same numbers for their cubbies.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2012

I number alphabetically as well. Makes it easier to check that you have all papers and enter grades.

10. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Aug 5, 2012

I number my students according to their last name, so the numbers are in the same order as the students are listed in the online grading program. They put their numbers on their papers next to their names (or at least they are supposed to) and their backpack hooks, books, and cubbies are labeled with just their numbers. I have only made classes line up in number order if they can't manage to line up nicely on their own. I also list numbers on the board for missing work, which keeps things confidential when it comes to other people being in the room, but the students do pretty much know each other's numbers, so it's not confidential within our class.

11. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 5, 2012

I number alphabetically. It makes organizing things A LOT easier.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 5, 2012

I do this too. It helps cement alphabetizing because they can see how they fit into the whole.

I have new line leaders each week and the kids line up in alphabetical order and they work through the order so everyone has a week of being first, second, and last.

13. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Aug 5, 2012

For those who number alphabetically, are you in a high turnover area? Last year, I had about 20 students (teach 2 groups of ELA) join or leave our school. I want to number to help with the gradebook, but I am not sure if it will help with that many joining us throughout the year......
    Any ideas?

14. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 6, 2012

I number my students alphabetically. It's VERY handy and helps with confidentiality when it comes to my grade book, behavior management, etc.

15. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Aug 6, 2012

I decided I want to use number this year, and I've been thinking about this too. I think if I have new students, I'll assign them a letter as well. So if a student alphabetically falls between kids who are 5 and 6, he'll be 5b. I haven't figured anything out for kids who move away yet :unsure:

16. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2012

That's a great idea! I have turned the order around or mixed it up at trimesters, but this one will work even better. :)

17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2012

I don't like using numbers because I hate to have them out of order when new kids come (pretty regularly).

I'm pretty anal about organization :)

18. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2012

I use them.
    I often say things like "odd numbers please get the folders while even numbers get the markers".

It's also a quick way to make sure everyone there like in a fire drill, field trip, returing from recess, etc
    "1 here 2 here 3 here 4 (missing)".

19. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 12, 2012

I love "numbering" my students for many reasons:

I can label anything or pass out numbered supplies quickly.
    Assigning students numbers makes alphabetizing a breeze.
    I can have my class "count off" or line up by number and count them quickly.
    I can make "odds groups" and "evens groups" to line up.
    I can call small groups to me to check homework ("10-15, come see me."

20. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 12, 2012

When I number kids and new kids come I just place them at the bottom of the list. I can usually remember this with little to no problems. Occasionally a student will move or switch classes and when another student comes in their name is close enough to fit into the space that was empty. We are not a very transient school, thankfully. Last year was probably my worst for that. I started with 23 kids. One never came from the first day. One moved to another class. Two were moved back to the prior grade. A new student came. A student moved. A new student came and then moved. Another new student came. Usually we get one or two new students throughout the year, though.

21. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2012

I too usually add a new student to the end of the number line unless a student left and that number is open. My online gradebook allows me to move the sequence of my students.