Assigned seating or not?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by a teacher, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2016

I didn't write everyone's names on the desks every period. I taught third grade so had my kids all day.
    If you did teach MS/HS, you could simply write more than one kid's name on the desk. That's what I did when we swapped kids for math & ELA interventions.

2. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2016

I have a much different teaching assignment than most of you. I have grade 3 to grade 8 in my room. Even when I have had nuch younger students, I have never assigned seats. I tell them from day 1 that I reserve the authority to move seats if a problem occurs. Most of the time the teacher glare solves any issues.

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2016

[​IMG]

Mr.Literature likes this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2016

That's it :)

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2016

I don't assign seats the first day. When the students arrive, they are invited to take any one of the seats where they will be able to work. I learn a lot about the students as I watch them find seats--who the friends are, who everyone wants to sit with, who no one wants to sit with, who doesn't have any friends in the class. I let the kids know that I will move them if they have chosen a spot where they aren't able to work.

I do new seating arrangements at least once a month; sometimes I choose where the kids sit and sometimes they make the choices. I do like to give them as much ownership of their learning environment as I can.

GPC0321, Linguist92021 and fjaravata like this.
  6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 4, 2016

I let mine choose their seats for the first couple days. It allows me to get a feel for personalities and class dynamics. I know immediately who to separate. Usually they're really good for a little bit. In 5 years, I've only had to move people once in that first week. I usually end up assigning seats for most of my regular sophomores, but everyone else usually demonstrates they can behave and sit by their friends.

I am exceptionally good with names though too.

If I assigned seats, I would hand out cards that matched with a seat so we didn't waste any time.

fjaravata likes this.
  7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 4, 2016

Usually by the time I get them in high school, they sit according to their plan because they know it really does help. If they don't, I usually talk with them and sometimes with the SPED teacher.

teacherintexas likes this.
  8. fjaravata

fjaravata Rookie

Aug 4, 2016

I also let my 5-8th grade students to choose wisely and freely--with the emphasis on wisely of course.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  9. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Aug 5, 2016

Can someone please respond to the issue of friends talking from day one and interruptions? It seems most of you let kids of all ages sit together with friends. But what is the payoff for you? You risk having to discipline a child when if they were in a random seat of your choosing they would not be talking to a friend when you are giving instruction. Is there something wrong with alphabetized seating?

Also, I know many of you must have digital seating charts. WHAT are you using???

10. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Aug 5, 2016

Most of the LMS I know of have seating charts options in the Class Management section.

11. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 5, 2016

I use the seating chart in my grading program (Genesis). I then project it to the class when I want them to change their seats.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2016

I honestly don't have much more of a challenge with students having off-topic conversations if they choose their seats than if I do. I let the students know that there will be many opportunities in my classroom to collaborate with others, but that one of the main expectations I have of them is that they are quiet when someone (anyone) is addressing the class. If the conversations become a challenge, I don't hesitate to move seats--in the middle of a lesson if need be.

As far as a digital seating chart--I don't use a specific program. I create a template in Google Sheets (or Excel) and change names around as needed.

GPC0321 likes this.
  13. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Aug 5, 2016

One of my very good friends who is far more tech-savvy than I am created her own program for seating charts based on Excel. It was really cool because she had 2 versions: the daily sub sheet and a second sheet with notes on each student that she used in creating her lessons. I plan on using it if I get a classroom, because more knowledge is more power.

14. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Aug 5, 2016

I never liked it when my teacher allowed students to choose sides for dodgeball. Best and most popular were chosen first. Runts were last. The teacher could have created a plan to prevent this but, instead, left it up to the students.

Most experts agree a reason many teachers have discipline problems is because they have a hand in creating them. In terms of classroom management, seating is something a teacher can do proactively before students arrive. If the goal is to create a classroom environment with as few distractions-interruptions as possible no one should apologize for trying to prevent socializing with neighbors, the number one discipline problem in any classroom.

Given the choice, most students do not choose a seat for learning. They choose a seat for socializing. Now that they are sitting next to their friend and talking guess who will have to put a stop to the gab fest? If you give away the furniture you will have to deal with discipline problems you helped create. It is not their classroom. It is not their furniture. On the first day of school everything you do will either send message "This is a work class" or "In this class you get to kick-back and do your thing".

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    a teacher likes this.
  15. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 5, 2016

I don't teach secondary, but I let my 5th graders choose their seats - they switch multiple times a day. I also have flexible seating, so the "seats" vary from chairs at tables to a couch to beanbags on the floor.

It works for me.

I say do what works for you.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Peregrin5, Leaborb192 and bandnerdtx like this.