Assigned seating or not?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by a teacher, Aug 3, 2016.

1. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 3, 2016

I've been known to sit my biggest talkers with each other. They talk each other's heads off, but they leave everybody else alone. Of course, it was a last resort, but there are actually some kids who can talk and get their work done.

GPC0321 and 2ndTimeAround like this.
  2. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Aug 3, 2016

Ok, so what I'm getting here is that if you let them choose their seats, they will be happier with you, but will talk too much. I don't want to risk that, and also if they never got to choose their seats in the first place, they won't get upset when you have to move them.

But how do I get them seated when they first come in? Someone mentioned giving them numbers, but wouldn't that be random as opposed to alphabetical?

Also, I still need recommendations for a seating chart program, please.

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2016

I do horseshoe seating and boy girl boy girl until I run out and then just randomly pair the left overs. I don't do alpha because I never plan on keeping them that way. What I may end up doing is printing out their pictures and posting them on the desks to help me. :) I had these desks so I wrote their names in chalk marker. It was fantastic.

[​IMG]

4. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 3, 2016

I have student names on index cards placed at the assigned seats. Students walk into class and find their seat. Bellringer for day 1. I then collect the cards and save them in case I find the need to change assigned seats.

a teacher likes this.
  5. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Aug 3, 2016

Okay that makes sense. What's "Bellringer"? Also, doesn't it take time to make all the index cards for 100-200 students?

6. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Aug 3, 2016

How long does this take?

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 3, 2016

I know this goes against everything most of you are saying but I do let them choose their seats. First day they come in, I tell them to have a seat. If most of them are trying to sit in the back, I ask them to move closer, I don't need every seat in the front filled, I'd actually rather have some empty seats here and there, but I don't want everyone trying to avoid the front.
    I tell them we do have assigned seating, but FOR NOW where they're sitting is fine. They like it, because I'm letting them sit where they want. They sort of feel like I'm treating them as adults.
    I do let them know, and emphasize it, that that seat does not belong to them, and any time I see fit, I will move them and they will move without a question.

This has worked for me for 3 years. I don't think that students look at me as giving up control, I think they see it as being reasonable. I have moved student of course, but there are those students who don't care where you seat them, they will talk to anyone and everyone, and those are the real problems, not the majority.

This year I will not know most of the students so I'm gonna have to learn a lot of new names and fast. Assigned seating actually helps with that, and it makes taking attendance so easy.

yellowdaisies and fjaravata like this.
  8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2016

How long does what take?

9. Mr.Literature

Mr.Literature Companion

Aug 3, 2016

Are you at the high school level? The level of maturity is different. I definitely think what you do is valid for high school students. But I've tried to give my students the opportunity to sit where they want, and it just doesn't work. They have such little self-control because of their age. I don't blame them, I just avoid unpleasant situations by assigning seats.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 3, 2016

Those of you who let your kids choose their own seats, how do you handle seating accommodations from a kid's IEP?

Just curious.

11. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Aug 4, 2016

Writing everyone's name on every desk every period.

12. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Aug 4, 2016

Aren't you inviting problems as kids who sit with their friends may talk to them while you are giving instruction as well as feel entitled to sit where they chose and challenge your authority when you decide to move them?

13. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 4, 2016

I had this issue when I allowed my senior class last year this privilege...

That won't happen again.

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 4, 2016

The only seating accommodation I've seen on an IEP is preferential seating, which my sped teachers have explained to me as meaning a seat that works for the student. It doesn't have to be at the front.

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  15. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 4, 2016

I only do this for my sophomore classes, so at most I have 75 cards. I have written out cards myself when I have a smaller amount. Best way for as many as you have would be to have students write or decorate their own on the first day of school (so no assigned seats this day). By "Bellringer" I mean warm-up activity--some 3 minute thing (for me usually a question relating to the previous day or homework assignment) for students to do at the bell while I take attendance and such. I find the younger high school students need this.