Asked the P if I should start looking....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Mar 11, 2019

I just straight-up asked the P if I should start looking for a job. He said that, at this exact day and moment, he can’t answer the question. He also said he wasn’t considering making any decisions on anyone who is non-tenured. He did say he likes what he sees with my teaching so that’s a positive..... I then told him about how I was handed my “thank-you-for-your-service” letter at the last minute on the last day from one principal and another principal told me that he “strongly recommended that I look for another position.” So I just wanted to get ahead of the information... Just being professional and trying to figure out what my next step would be without any surprise. Given how my current P didn’t say to start looking must be encouraging. But then he told me that any non-tenured teacher would be crazy if they’re not looking around. So maybe I didn’t get the answer I was looking for. Last year, a former P asked me in January if I planned on coming back. Two years ago at a different place, the P said to look... From what I wrote above, does it feel like I should around? To me, it feels that I am safe?

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 11, 2019

That's really bizarre. Asking, and especially asking like that, gives the impression that you should be worried. You should be a strong, confident teacher. Even when I was nontenured, I never asked as my observations were all good so there didn't seem to be anything to worry about. If anything, I would just ask what I'm teaching next year, and if the answer is nothing, they should tell you that.

4. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Mar 11, 2019

Hey, I wasn't worried one bit during my first go-round. After 3 years, everyone said don't worry, you'll be tenured. Didn't happen.... So now, I'm just gonna flat-out ask. If they're gonna let me go, I'd rather know now than late May.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 11, 2019

I just would have phrased it differently to get the same information. Maybe a general question about when teachers find out their status for next year.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Mar 11, 2019

Let’s just say I followed the example of another teacher who I worked with at the middle school. He basically asked, “Should I start looking?” point-blank 3 straight years. The 1st 2, our P said you can work here as long as you want to. The 3rd year, a new P said it’s always good to be looking and to keep your resume updated. Guess what happened to both of us that year. ;). I forgot to mention that my P also said, “I see no reason at this point to make any changes.”