As a p/t aide, how do I make myself indispensable???

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by thesub, Jan 8, 2018.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Jan 8, 2018

Hi all: I am a 50-yr old, p/t aide in an sped classroom and my job this year was to assist four students mainstream into gen ed (elementary). Recently 2 students were completely mainstreamed and the remaining two are generally ok in specials but need help in academics.

Now I do have periods where I have nothing to do in the sped class since the students are getting OT/PT services. Then I usually help the librarian out (checking books in etc).

I have been a sped aide for about 4 years (always p/t but sub the other half), always willing to go the extra mile and help the teachers and in evening school events. What else should I do to make sure I always have an aide job?? We get tense every May as contract time comes around. I am not teacher-certified as you might have guessed.

Thanks so much

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 8, 2018

Always ask the office if there’s anything that needs to be done when you are free should do the trick.

4. thesub

thesub Comrade

Jan 11, 2018

Ok thank you

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 12, 2018

Always ask if there's anything you can do. You don't want to be seen as doing nothing, and haven't asked. We have a new sped aide this year and he already stood out by developing great relationships with the kids and being an authority figure (during lunch and morning supervision it is very obvious), and it's interesting because he looks about 18 himself. He is also great in the classroom (based on what I've heard). We have another aide in a different classroom and he's not as proactive. If one had to be cut due to budget, obviously this second one would be the choice.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  6. thesub

thesub Comrade

Jan 12, 2018

Thank you, Linguist92021, for your valuable feedback.

7. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jan 25, 2018

My special ed. aides (RSP) would frequently be called to the office to help with a variety of things. By becoming chummy with the secretary and principal, they were often called away leaving me to fend for myself - had to put up with this for over 30 years! Aides at different schools would even use my room to collect money from students for school fundraisers. I could tell that these "team players" were indispensable to the office staff and didn't have to worry about their job security.