ARR Whats going on!? FTCE: Ele Edu k-6

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Toy_03, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Oct 13, 2010

Im back, but this time im taking the FTCE elementary education exam and I failed it 2 times already

The first time I took it...I used a 2006 book (REA Red book) and that did not help at all...when I took the test there were fractions and history questions that I did not know.

The second time i took it..I knew I did well with the language arts (I bought the CLIFF NOTES BOOK), but when I came to the history there were questions like : what woman lead the womans right vote and Potato famine question that WAS NOT IN THE BOOK. Science questions was horrible..I knew some but not really..and the MATH portion was nothing but fractions...

:(

Is there a book out there that ACTUALLY MEETS THE FTCE TEST! Cause when I took that test I was like "NON OF THIS WAS IN MY BOOK"

One thing that I did though...was I wrote down everything that I was having trouble with after the test (questions/problems) becuase I NEEEEEED/WANT TO PASS THIS TEST!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

If anybody can HELP please SEND ME AN INBOX MESSAGE....thanks in advance

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2010

Which of these areas have you looked up on the Internet or elsewhere?

I'd be very surprised to find that fractions aren't covered in REA's book for Florida's elementary education test.

4. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Oct 28, 2010

On the test there were differnt fraction problems that WERE NOT EXPLAINED in the REA (2006 edition)

Umm....for example they had a question that was 1 2/3 divided by 3/4 The REA book did not even show how to do division..and the CLIFF notes..."brifely (if that)" went over division....

Another example that I remember then having on the test was: What is equivalent to 175% <==Percentage problem

OR

1,4,2,8,4--Find the pattern..."Do you minus 2 or add 3...etc"

Not only the fractions but the HISTORY QUESTIONS on the test was not at all in the cliff notes book Such as :"Dred scott case" or the "miranda right?"

MOST OF THIS STUFF I HAVE TO SEARCH AND SEARCH TO DO...the book does not explain nuthing...

:mad: :mad: :mad:

IM GONNA BEAT THIS TEST! :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

*yess I signed up for the Orange county website that has all the subjects...and it has helped me a bit...Just a little..But not gonna stop using it*

*I know it can be looked at as a COMMON SENSE test...but OMG...some of these questions Im like "what?" :huh::huh::huh:

*Also got my scores back I made a 187 this time..up 7 points from first test.....missed it by 13 points* :( ..... :mad:

5. TeacherGroupie

Oct 31, 2010

If you need a more thorough review of a topic than an FTCE book provides, you might want to try using books that aren't specific to FTCE.

For help with the math you describe, try Practical Math Success in 20 Minutes a Day, published by LearningExpress. It will explain how to divide by a fraction, how to find decimal equivalents of percentages, and much more.

Libraries and bookstores are full of good overviews of US history that will certainly mention the Dred Scott decision.

You might also want to consider hiring a tutor to guide you.

6. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Nov 17, 2010

ARRRR what the HECK...I just took my test and not I have to wait..."Reciept of completion" ...This sucks :(

Now I have to keep on studying

*Anyways if your asking how i did...I feel good about it...better than the first time (which I did not study--180 score) and better than the second time (which I really did not study either...187)..This time I studied my brains off....

Its strange cause there were a lot of different questions, but there were A LOT of the E-X-A-C-T same questions on the test ( I noticed they do this a lot)...which was good and bad...Good cause...its good...bad cause I forgot to write down the question after the test (this time I remembered)...

The same dang math I was having trouble with was on there...but THIS TIME I knew how to do it...(Patterns 1,4,2,8,16, etc Do you add 3 mins 2..etc) The percentage was NOT hard...but took up my dang time :( Anyways I know I did much better than the last two times...(cause I studied), but I dont know if I passed :(

Anyways BACK TO STUDYING.....ugh....

7. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Nov 17, 2010

*Need to add something *

The Elementary k-6 online module...was somewhat of a help...But I found a site...(*I dont know if I should say it*) that was really good...you have to do a lot of google searches, but its well worth it....*Winks*

8. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Nov 17, 2010

See and I'm on the belief that a teacher shouldn't have to cram for a teacher entrance exam test. We should already know the basics when it comes to education...If you don't, then that could be a problem.

9. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Nov 17, 2010

:confused: What you mean by that? I didnt cram... o.o I just didnt study the first 2 times (wasted money) and studyied this time...

Perhaps Im confused by your reply?? :confused:

10. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Nov 30, 2010

AHHHHHH I PASSSSSSED! I PASSED! IM OFFICIALLY A TEACHER!
    (Thank you Lord)

*If you need ANY help with what is on the test...Please dont hesitate to PM me*

*Ugh now I got to do my resume...cover letter...and find a Job.... :(

*Back to work*

11. MsOpportunity

MsOpportunity Rookie

Nov 30, 2010

FTCE "Not Passed"

Hi Everyone,

I dont know where to start. You cant imagine my frustration. I've taken the test twice and I miss it by 5 points everytime. What am I doing wrong? I know that I am not a walking dictionary/history book but I feel like that is what they are asking me to be. I want this more than anything and I cant seem to grasp it. Am I trying too hard? I dont want to give up but the cost of the test is draining me. I think the math part may be my downfall. Which is interesting cause I took calc 2 in college. Am I overthinking it? I cried about this because Im not used to letting myself down, especially not twice. Any advice or help would work wonders for me.

Thanks everyone.

12. TeacherGroupie

Nov 30, 2010

Hugs, MsOpportunity. If you got through Calc 2 in college, then overthinking the math is entirely possible.

Do you get a score report that sheds any light on your performance subject area by subject area?

13. blessed2teach11

blessed2teach11 New Member

Dec 28, 2010

Congrats! I am currently studying for this test and failed the first time. What finally helped you?

14. blessed2teach11

blessed2teach11 New Member

Dec 28, 2010

Congrats! I am currently studying for this test and failed the first time. What finally helped you?

15. TeacherGroupie

Dec 28, 2010

Does your score report give any indication, or do you have ideas, as to where you're having difficulty?

16. MYKIDZ

MYKIDZ New Member

Feb 20, 2011

Help Need to pass the Elemntary K-6 before Apri any tips

Hi will like to know if you passed the test? can you give any good tips to pass this test thank you.

17. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Feb 28, 2011

http://subjectareatestprep.pds-hrd.wikispaces.net/

This is the site that HELP ME OUT THE MOST...like they told u what to study and what is on the test... almost the same thing is on every test...hear from me cause i took it 3 times :cool:

18. famulady

famulady New Member

Mar 1, 2012

Thank You Toy 03 your a life saver:rolleyes: :love: :hugs :.I Just took the test today i failed.But with the study hopefully i'll pass.Im going to study for 30 days straight.Wish me luck you guys.I cant wait to feel the joy that you guys feel when passing the test :wub:

19. famulady

famulady New Member

Apr 12, 2012

Update.I took the test again today.I PASSED.Yayyyyy!I couldnt of done it without the help of this thread.Love all u guys.Good luck.If anyone else needs help message me :)

20. New_teach2012

New_teach2012 Rookie

Apr 13, 2012

Ftce Elementary ed

Congrats famulady!! I did the test 2 days ago too and passed. I do agree that this thread has been very helpful. I must express sincere gratitude to Toy03 for her recommendations on how to study for the test.

21. teacher1224

teacher1224 New Member

Apr 28, 2012

Hi, I will be taking the FTCE Elementary k-6 test soon, any advice, tips, or study guides would be greatly appreciated. Congrats!!!!!

Thank you.