Are you teaching the grade/subject you originally intended?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by eternalsaudade, Jan 7, 2013.

1. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Jan 7, 2013

Are you currently teacher the subject and/or grade level that you originally wanted to teach? Is there a grade level or subject you expected to hate that you ended up enjoying? Or perhaps one that you expected to love but ended up not liking so much after all?

My Answer: I started off teaching two-year-olds and toddlers and was certain that I didn't want to work with kids any older than that. Then I taught in a home daycare setting with several older preschool age students and really enjoyed my 4-5 year olds. Now I am teaching 3rd-5th graders and while I don't think it is my ideal, I am enjoying a lot more than I expected, I love being able to hold conversations with my students. I am still very wary of older students- I will have to do an 8-week placement in either a middle or high school for my SPED license and I am terrified at the prospect. :unsure:

So, what about you guys?

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 7, 2013

Short answer is no. I always wanted to teach 3rd or 4th grade, nothing lower then maybe 2nd grade, nothing higher then 6th grade.

Life happened & I ended up working day care instead of subbing. My 1st teaching job was K. When my P asked me to move to 3rd, I thought he was crazy. He told me to give him a good reason not to try it, I couldn't & loved it. When he asked me to loop to 4th, I was able to give him reasons why I didn't want to go to 4th. It's actually how I ended up teaching 2nd for a year.

My current P sees me as a lower elementary teacher. I'm hoping to teach something other then K next year!

When asked which is my favorite: K or 3rd, my response is I like them both. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 7, 2013

I am now. I'm actually even in my favorite grade level. However I started off as a k-5 sped teacher. I really wanted to be a classroom teacher and I did NOT want to teach higher than third grade. I essentially took the job because it was late summer and my only option. I ended up liking it a lot. I still don't think I'd want 4th or 5th graders in a classroom all day, but I enjoyed having them for just parts of the day. I do enjoy being a classroom teacher more, but it wasn't a bad first job at all.

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jan 7, 2013

I wanted to teach ESL but instead, ended up as a regular elem ed teacher. I always wonder what if.....? Too old to switch tracks now..

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2013

I'm not. I actually started my career teaching the extra subjects and grades I wanted to teach. I LOVED it! But there were other factors to the environment that caused me to switch schools. I think I've taught grade K-high school now and most core subjects to boot. The strange thing: I've enjoyed them all.

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jan 7, 2013

Nope. I wanted high school biology. Last year I taught 3rd-8th grade science, biology and physics. Don't know what I'll have this year, hoping they at least take away the 3rd-5th graders! I'm just not good with the little uns.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 7, 2013

Yes. I wanted to teach lower elementary, and I'm teaching grade 1. I taught grade 3 for a year and LOVED it, and I taught grade 6 for a year and survived it.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2013

I'm teaching exactly the subject and grade level that I wanted.

10. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jan 7, 2013

Not even close. I started out teaching preschool. My goal was to teach kindergarten ... and now I'm in 8th grade!

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 7, 2013

I aimed for junior high and student taught in 7th grade. That being said, I am so happy teaching seniors!

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 7, 2013

YES! I've always known (since 2nd grade, actually) that I'd end up teaching 2nd grade!

I taught 1st grade my first year teaching, 2nd grade for the next five years, then got "bumped' to middle school last year. Thankfully, a 2nd grade position opened up this year, so I jumped on it!

13. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Jan 7, 2013

I am! In my college classes anytime we had to design lesson plans/units, I always wrote mine for 2nd grade. It was my goal. My first job out of college was teaching 4th grade, which I loved, but after 4 years took a job teaching 2nd grade. I'm now in my 4th year of 2nd grade, and love it too! I've always thought that my niche is 2nd, 3rd, 4th grade. I could very happily teach any of those three, but I probably wouldn't be happy teaching anything younger or older.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2013

I had no clue what I wanted to teach. Even when I was almost done at the univeristy, I still had no clue what I wanted to teach and even thought about continuing to get a degree in another field such as math or science. (didn't end up doing that).

I ended up teaching kinder, 5th, and math resource.

Now, due to lack of jobs, I'm a para--- DEFINITELY not what I expected. While the pay is pretty lousy, it's not a horrible job. Pretty laid back, fast paced, and a TON of freedom. I also pretty much get whatever I ask for in regards to supplies, so that's nice.

15. DanteLover

DanteLover Rookie

Jan 8, 2013

Not really. I am teaching at the grade level that I enjoy, but I'm not teaching the subject I prefer. I teach ELD and CAHSEE English. Teaching CAHSEE is the hardest job in the world! The content can be dry at times. You also deal with the lowest performing students and the students with behavior contracts. I really enjoy my ELD class, so that makes up for 80 minutes of horror. I must say though, it is rewarding when they pass. My dream would be to teach Senior English.

16. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2013

I wanted to teach English. Now I love teaching math and actually chose it over English when given the choice a few months ago.

17. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2013

No. I have always wanted to teach high school but have taught either 6 & 7 or 7 & 8 grade every year since my first (when I only taught 7). Middle school is not for me.

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2013

No, thank God.
    I wanted to teach kindergarten. And then I was a sub!
    Still not happy in 5th (although it is more my team than my kids). Happy to be moving down to 2nd in a week and a half! I've wanted 2nd or 3rd for a while now!

19. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 8, 2013

:rofl:

Okay...Good Story: So I briefly worked in Pre-K as an assistant, did aide work in 3rd grade, and student taught 2nd grade. I spent my first year teaching in 3rd again.

I swore I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER go to middle school. In fact, I hid my middle school endorsements on my resume cause I was scared some principal was gonna put me in 2nd or 3rd and then suddenly move me up. I was, after all, a bona fide early childhood teacher.

Now I teach 6th grade SPED. :lol:

I'm LOVIN' it!!!! I do imagine I will float back to intermediate someday...3rd and 4th is my heart. But it was not what I thought it would be. I'll probably never do K-2 again. After 6th, I have no patience for the littlest people. They can't do anything. :p

20. AndreGreen

AndreGreen Companion

Jan 8, 2013

No, currently I am teaching 3rd Grade. My intended grade was Kindergarten or 1st Grade. I LOVE 3rd Grade, but the testing is annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2013

I am teaching first grade right now which I really like. I have taught at least some in every grade up to eighth except fourth. I have liked them all in some way or another. I never had a set grade I wanted to teach when I went through for my credential. I had more experience in the upper grades to start with and was thinking I preferred that until I got switched to first and found out I really liked it.