Are you ready for a world without antibiotics?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2010

I heard about it last week on Dr. Oz. Just now I read this article. Terrifying....

3. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2010

This is very scary, and indeed I don't know that any of us are ready for it. And it's pretty certain, pretty soon, and looks quite severe.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2010

First, stop loading livestock with antibiotics in order to keep them from getting sick when they're all crammed in factory cages. Of course, that entails not keeping them crammed in cages. And that means every pays more for meat and poultry.

Unfortunately, people don't want to pay more for meat and poultry, and agribusiness doesn't like the idea much either.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 12, 2010

Well, and there's also not using antibacterial soap. Plain soap, properly used, does the job just fine.

And there's not insisting on a prescription of antibiotics for colds and other viral infections. Viruses don't flinch at antibiotics - but the local bacteria figure out the drill, develop resistance, and spread it to their neighbors.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2010

It often astounds me to hear how frequently antibiotics are used--my almost 20-year old son has been on antibiotics twice in his life, my 16-year old daughter, never.

7. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 12, 2010

This is so true. It seems that antibiotics are easilly prescribed for a lot of things without looking carefully at other things.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 12, 2010

Doctors are sometimes too ready to prescribe, but patients are also sometimes too ready to insist.

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2010

I don't know. If I asked for medicinal marijuana to treat my ADHD, I don't think my doctor would prescribe it. Even if I insisted.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2010

Interesting read but very scary. Very.

I was given my sister's left-over penicillin as a child when I had parent-diagnosed strep. That may be the only time I've been on antibiotics...I remember having a bad reaction to it. I very rarely take so much as an Advil.

It's the doctor's responsibility to prescribe drugs in the appropriate manner, I believe.

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2010

A few years back, my doctor insisted on treating a sinus infection without antibiotics. It worked too.

12. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2010

Animals are the livelihood for farmers - without healthy animals, a farmer is out of business. Just as teachers would be jobless without students, well, sort of like that. Animals get sick for many reasons but farmers take care of them and sometimes that means antibiotics. If your dog needed one, you would go to a dr. and get it for him. You will get no antibiotics in the milk you buy. Milk is tested 18 times before it gets to the grocery shelf. If a farmer accidentally milks a cow that has been treated with antibiotic (as many breast feeding mothers can attest, infections happen) and adds that milk to his bulk tank therefore polluting the truck's milk supply that has come from up to 15 farms, that farmer will pay for the entire tank of milk (1000's of $s). No farmer can afford that mistake. Great pains go to keep milk supply safe.
    A huge majority of farming is still done by families. Some of them are incorporated adding to the statistics about corporate farms. The movies and websites designed to scare people about farming simply wouldn't be very impressive if they filmed 90% of the reality of farming. It's simply hard work by people who care about the animals and crops they raise.
    Now climbing off my :soapbox:

13. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2010

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2010

Yes, Mary, you are correct (assuming, of course, the testing is accurate). We milk the cows on antibiotics, but the milk is dumped before heading to the tank and the jar and lines are rinsed. I was talking to my brother on the phone while he was milking last week about all of our mother drama and he came thisclose to forgetting to dump a cow's jar of milk. Just the thought upset him. Again, you are right in that the farm cannot afford that mistake.

That said, I don't feel those documentaries and websites are simply creating information. The data, footage, interviews...those are real. Obviously used in a way to share the intended message, but still... There are crappy things happening on farms. Not that you said otherwise. :)

15. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 12, 2010

I remember seeing a segment on 60 Minutes a few years back about how limited the anitbiotics we have left to treat a simple staph infection are. The germs mutate-we only had 2 left at that time. Very scary.

Mary-I agree that not everything on film is true-it is a fact that there are farms (and I'm not saying all farms) give their chickens antibiotics because they are kept in such cramped conditions that they fight with each other and are prone to infection-it's in the meat people eat. That's why "cage free" chickens/eggs are an option. Unfortunately the more chickens a farmer can sell for meat, the more money they make-I completely believe that happens out there.

16. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2010

I won't pretend to be an expert on how beef or chickens are raised and how much antibiotic is used. I do know that the majority of farms are still family farms. They aren't cozy little "Old Mcdonald" farms that we learned about in preschool - those exist as hobby farms but aren't necessarily profitable.
    I know more about dairy farming (thanks for backing me up JustMe). My brother and his son (both college grads, btw) run the family dairy farm where I grew up. They use current science and researched practices to operate safely for consumers and for the environment. Most farming is highly regulated.
    Just please, think when you see something out there about whether both sides are being presented. Oprah had a show yesterday and didn't have 1 representative of the farming industry.