Are you allowed to wear jeans?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Mathemagician, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Aug 3, 2012

At my old school, it was unofficially not allowed. The P couldn't make an official dress code because then we would have had to have gotten a "uniform allowance."

At my new school, dress is very casual. Sometimes I feel over dressed wearing business casual clothes, and my old suits haven't been touched once.

2. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 3, 2012

I don't find it extreme or crazy. It sets a standard of respect for an academic institution. None of us are mad about it, so I don't know why you would be. Most slacks with pockets on the outside of the butt are made of thicker, more denim-like fabric. We can wear chino-style khakis, just not the more casual ones that look like jeans. I don't find the dress code to be overly prohibitive at all. We are modeling for our students how to dress professionally.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2012

I have a hard enough time finding pants that fit me correctly without having to worry about my pockets!

I'm glad it doesn't bother you.

It's not the IDEA that would bother me, but it would be nearly impossible for me to find pants! I think all of my pants right now have 'inside' pockets, but some of them have flaps.

4. Avalon

Avalon Rookie

Aug 3, 2012

I am surprised at some of these strict rules. I guess California is very casual. I'm pretty sure our union would have something to say about it if any administrator in our district tried to enforce a dress code.

Teachers can wear jeans, shorts, flip flops, pretty much anything. That being said, everyone in the front office wears dress slacks, dress shoes & tie/jacket (men) or dress/skirt/nice slacks with dress shoes (women).

I always dress business casual - skirt & jacket (not necessarily a suit), dress shoes, everthing ironed and matching. I never wear denim, t-shirts, or flip flops.

And although unspoken, I do believe we are judged on our professional dress.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 3, 2012

The flaps are fine, as long as they look like dress pants and not like jeans. I have a few pants with the flaps, I just make sure they are always ironed down flat and are neat.

6. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 3, 2012

We can wear jeans on Friday with a school shirt, or any other day during the week with a jeans pass. You earn jean passes with perfect attendance, meetings, volunteering for PTA nights, etc. I personally wouldn't want to wear jeans everyday at work even if it was allowed. There's just something to be said about looking put together and professional, just my opinion.

7. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 3, 2012

I agree with that last sentence.

I know, for me, I FEEL different when I'm at work in button down shirts, slacks, and dress-work shoes than when I'm in jeans and a t-shirt. I feel more professional.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 3, 2012

I get what everyone is saying about looking professional, but lots more companies in "industry" are going to casual attire and/or casual days. I don't think jeans necessarily means unprofessional. I've seen slacks, dresses and skirts that are anything BUT professional!

9. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 3, 2012

we used to be allowed, but not any more. :( but teachers wear sweat pants, that is allowed? insert eye roll here!

10. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 3, 2012

The district I worked this past year was very strict. No jeans or sneakers - ever. In fact, no denim of any kind so if we had post duty, they didn't want us wearing denim jackets either.

They also had a rule against open toe shoes, but everyone broke that rule once it started to get hot. :)

11. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2012

I really feel that I look more put together in a dark boot cut or trouser jean with nice shoes and a pretty top than I do in slacks.

When we got a new principal a few years ago, another teacher called me up one evening in a panic - "What if we aren't allowed to wear jeans anymore!?!"

12. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 3, 2012

Definitely agree with this one! I just know for me personally I tend to feel more confident and put together when I'm not in jeans all the time.

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 3, 2012

Fridays and field trip days only here

14. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 3, 2012

We do not have an official dress code. It was explained to me when I started that we could wear jeans on payday Fridays. It has evolved to every Friday or special day, field trips, etc. They try to do fundraisers before Christmas and at the end of the year for our staff flower fund. It used to be $1 per day to wear them, then changed to $15 for the month. I don't always pay because I often have meetings with parents and dress more professionally then. I won't pay $15 to only wear them 3-4 days. I pay $1 per day that I do wear them, as long as it isn't payday Friday. I don't think I should pay to do something I'm allowed to do all year. Sorry, personal rant...

I sometimes wish we had an official dress code because I tend to get sloppier with my dress without guidelines. I'm a rule follower so I'd definitely follow a dress code if I agreed or not.

15. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 3, 2012

Jeans Friday were BIG in my last district (can't speak for my new one yet.) We could wear them every Fri, and both my principals would give out jeans coupons for any day of your choice as prizes at staff meetings. I really hope jeans are okay on Fridays in my new school.

One of my principals said that if we looked appropriate for a bank teller job on casual Fridays then she didn't mind. It's a strange concept, but I thought it provided a good visual when getting dressed.

16. Avery

Avery Rookie

Aug 3, 2012

This exactly!

17. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Aug 3, 2012

starting new school and I don't know if we are allowed to wear jeans - my contract says "professional dress" so I'm guessing no, and I LOVE wearing jeans. I always wear button up shirts but I also don't tuck in. I hope I can get away with pants and untucked shirts at new school. I try to dress up when meetings set with parents. (skirts - or more conservative slacks) I view that as a sign of respect - but honestly - I am the sloppiest person in world and jeans with button down is dressing up to me! I tend to kneel next to students, jump around, move a lot. I have what I call my teaching costumes!

18. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 3, 2012

We can wear jeans every day if we want.

19. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 3, 2012

I agree with this. Most of my jeans are dark and boot cut. I typically wear them with a dressy button-down top and it ends up looking nice. Dressy pants make my back side look a little bit too big.

20. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 3, 2012

My job is in special ed. We dress a lot more casually than the gen ed staff because of the physical demands. The teachers and paras often wear jeans throughout my district, especially when working with younger kids. Some even wear sweat pants, which I'm not personally a fan of, but I understand if you're constantly having to move and be spilled on in the younger grades.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.