Are you allowed to eat/drink during class?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by orangetea, May 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 6, 2012

:agreed:

There's nothing particularly wrong with asking staff to go 38 minutes without a drink of water. I would not like it, but it works for that school. I would assume that if a a faculty member had a legitimate, medical need, the school would accommodate.

2. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

May 6, 2012

I'm in total agreement with you. And I'm also surprised with those who put up with it.

I would seriously be re-evaluating my place at a job that didn't allow me to drink water when I wished.

"Culture"? Hah. Okay. To each his own.

3. JustMe

JustMe Guru

May 6, 2012

^ That. Exactly.

4. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 6, 2012

(I know you know) but it seems like lately threads become "well, so and so said 'this' so I'm going to agree with him/her and it becomes more of "agreeing" what has been said, than actually posting what you think.:sorry: this is not true to most posters on this forum.

5. bison

bison Habitué

May 6, 2012

I work in one district and volunteer in another. Neither has rules regarding drinks for teachers. I don't think there are any rules regarding food except in cases where there have been issues with bugs/pests. I don't eat during class, but I always have a small snack during recess or snack time. I usually stay with the kids during this time, so we're all having something. I wouldn't be able to make it until lunch without feeling faint otherwise. I think a ban on water is unreasonable, especially in hot weather.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

May 6, 2012

I could make it for an hour without water, but I couldn't make it from 7:15 to 12:35 without any liquids. I'd have to get a doctor's note if I worked in that district.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 6, 2012

The school in question is a private secondary school with 38 minute classes, who's teachers move from room to room depending on what classes they're teaching (much like the way college professors don't have their own room).

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 6, 2012

I think my problem with the whole "no water" rule would be that many admins and secretaries would never go without their cups of coffee or water or whatever on their desks.

9. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 6, 2012

I don't think Orangetree said there was a certain number of minutes per class or passing periods but I need to look back at the previous posts.

Not that it matters, but did Orangetree also say that this was a private school?

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 6, 2012

Kat, unless I missed something, there was only one poster who said that even water wasn't allowed in class and that was Aliceacc. She's mentioned multiple times on various threads, including this one, the length of her classes. They're pretty short, so even though I wouldn't like it much, the rule in her school isn't all that unreasonable.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 7, 2012

I'd say that yes, it's okay for a school to have this policy. In the same vein, a school may adopt any number of policies for its staff and students. Many of you wouldn't "be able" to work in a school in Ontario because all have a policy that no nuts or nut products are allowed. Is it a mild inconvenience for those who love peanut butter or a handful of nuts as a snack? Perhaps, but we all accept it and move on.

12. bison

bison Habitué

May 7, 2012

I don't think nuts and water are comparable. One is merely giving up something one enjoys for the sake of the safety of others. The other is giving up something we all need throughout the day to stay healthy and hydrated. The consumption of water doesn't impact anyone else. I know I get woozy on hot days (they happen year round in SoCal) when the AC gets wonky if I'm not sipping water throughout the day. I wouldn't work in a school that controls adults to that degree, but obviously others feel differently. I can still feel that it's unreasonable if others don't. :) I don't understand why people (not pointing at anyone in particular) get so defensive about harmless opinions like this.

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 7, 2012

My school has no restrictions, and I drink a lot of water daily.

I really have a beef, however, with the teacher next door to me who allows no water or snacks for her fourth graders, but whose husband drops off Starbucks for her several times a week in front of her class.

14. greendream

greendream Comrade

May 7, 2012

I have my coffee over the course of my first two periods, and drink about 3 bottles of water the rest of the day. Other teachers drink soda, but I stay away from sugared drinks (because it's the fastest way to gain weight). I would like to see someone try to take my water away.

15. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

May 7, 2012

This is a little off-topic, but it goes along with discussion of student snacks. Do any of you have students that bring uncooked Ramen noodles as a snack? This is like THE snack to have among our 8th graders. They simply open the package, sprinkle on the powdered flavor pack, and eat them raw and crunchy. I had never heard of anyone doing that before teaching at this school. Just wondered if it was a nationwide epidemic lol.

16. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 7, 2012

That would drive me crazy! I can't stand chewing and it sounds like that would be loud. (And it seems a little gross, to be honest.)

I have a no food/drink policy for students, except for water. That's our school policy. And I don't have my own classroom, so I do not want my students to mess up someone else's room.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 7, 2012

It was a bit of a fad here about 10 years ago or so--I haven't noticed it at all lately.

18. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 7, 2012

My boyfriend used to love doing that. I haven't seen him do it in a long time (probably because he's no longer a poor college student!) but it was sooo gross!

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

May 7, 2012

I remember my 2nd grade teacher bringing a Big Gulp to school every single morning. She wasn't a coffee person, but she sure did love her soda!

20. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

May 7, 2012

Your second grade teacher had the right idea! I could never make it through a day of college without a Big Gulp!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.