Are you a Know-It-All???

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Master Pre-K, Jun 30, 2007.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 1, 2007

Dunno whether they can still be bought.

2. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 1, 2007

I saw it - on eBay. There was a set of six, sold long ago. It is soooo adorable, I love it!

Here's my dream: someone throws me a teacher shower (see my prior thread), and I get two gifts: an Oxford English Dictionary and an "Eruditer" button. Hahahahaha!

3. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2007

I had to get my Oxford English Dictionary out and look up "Erudite" in 33+ years of teaching I had never heard or read the word!

In wood shop I get words like Paduak, Goncalo Alves, Ipe, Jatoba, Makore, Morado and Pau Amarillo (exotic lumbers) I guess I am not a "know it all" after all.

4. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 1, 2007

And the award for funniest A-Zer goes to...... Irishdave!!!! ROTFLOL! I still have that image of you putting coins and dollar bills under bits of wood in your woodshop to get the kids to clean up- priceless!!! I told that one to dh (non-teacher) and even HE thought it was hilarious.

5. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2007

Now I know How Sally Field Felt. (upon accepting her 1985 Best Actress Oscar):D

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2007

we are also sarcastic and masters of put-downs

We can insult people and they don't even realize it!

"Of course I wouldn't ask you to do that dear. I know it is too much for you."

People who have a few cards less than a deck get upset with us, and always want to have the last word...ah there is a new post! People who insist on having the last word!!!!

Having the last word doesn't make you right.

Just makes you last!

Weren't you there already?? :D

(folks say I missed my calling. I should be a librarian...or a stand up comic!)

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 1, 2007

Dr. Phil has two sayings that I just love:

"Are you kidding me?"

"Do you want to fix this, or do you want to just be right?"

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 2, 2007

The thing is, this is a real toss up at times. lol

9. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 2, 2007

Yeah, but mostly, we bossy teachers want to be right. :D

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2007

Yeah, Tasha and OtterMom mostly we want to fix it too! Afterall, we are the experts! :rolleyes:

I always say in a job interview, the one characterisitic that best describes me is I am resourceful. If I can't do it, I can sure find out how, or get somebody who will do it and show me.

Taking a mental health day. Well my back was hurting. Taking a "I-need-a-break-to-figure-out-my-next-move" day. I know they want to fire me, and they can't do it if I am off.

11. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2007

I am a little bit of a know it all

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2007

join the club... and stand tall ....we are the few,

the proud...THE TEACHERS!

We are entitled to be know-it-alls!

Just don't be a pain, take a day off and let somebody pretend they can do something! :d

13. sdzbgdr

sdzbgdr Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

The original question was "Are you a Know-It-All???"
    I suspect the people who have input on this site know a lot, but do not have another place to express themselves. They are to nice to others in their personal contacts, even nice to "know-it-alls."

One big deal for me was moving to the big city. For some reason it seemed like the city people were better than everyone else - they were wealthy, they had better scores in school, they were everything. As it turned out, they somehow just made us country farmers think that. For example, I noticed that they didn't really learn the academic material as well, they thought easy physical labor was difficult, they weren't better at much of anything. I think it was just their money and their socializing that made them seem so intimidating.

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2007

OIC...I lived in the big city, and the small towns too. It is a big difference in attitude, isn't it!

Which will probably take you over to my NCLB, hate it, love it, doesn't affect me thread. You see, if we were all given the same opportunities in education, the big wigs downtown would not be so quick to point fingers, and name names. There is a lot to be said for practical learning, as you pointed out. Some people think less of others, just because of where they grew up.

should not be the case.

we were talking about people we meet (yours truly) especially teachers, who always have the last word, and think we are experts on everything...including brain surgery!

when one person becomes that obnoxious, we step back, and see ourselves in a whole new light.

I like to clam up every now and then, just to see what somebody else knows...or does not know, which is usually the case!

If you talk all the time, you don't give others a chance.

guess I've talked long enough :lol: