Are we lost without technology?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by swansong1, Aug 20, 2016.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2016

A couple of recent threads had me wondering...it seems that teachers now expect their class to run on technology and don't know what to do if their technology malfunctions or they don't have any in their room.

Since I've been teaching since the dinosaur age, I know how to teach using a chalk board or a whiteboard, and I know how to teach using technology.

Are colleges now turning out teachers who can't find a way to teach if they don't have all the bells and whistles? And are our children being shorted if teachers rely solely on technology (as nice as it is) to teach?

a2z and Leaborb192 like this.
  3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2016

Speaking as someone who graduated in 2014 and then got my first classroom in AZ, I can honestly say I was gobsmacked :eek: when I walked into the room and there was nothing but a document camera that our secretary said "was like a Smartboard." HAHA How? I will say that my college had this very egocentric view of education, pushed technology integration into the classes and our lessons, and just assumed that the world was NY in that every classroom has well "connected" schools, which isn't always the case. Because they never stopped to teach us what to do when you don't have access to it. I will say -- with exceptions-- that a lot of the young teachers really do expect classrooms to have Smartboards, Ipads, laptops, etc. I got really good at using what I had, but also can teach using "old school" methods too so I'm pretty versatile. When I try to explain that to Districts, though, they just look at me like I have five heads. They don't understand what it means to teach in a technology waste land either. o_O I visited my friend's classroom and we chatted with one of the teachers who told us how some of the classes are going to 1:1, they just updated her computer, and they got bought the new NY edition of Mymath. I just scoffed. It was fantastic, but seriously... our schools in AZ spent like nothing on education and we were seriously lacking. But a good teacher is flexible, creative and makes it work.
    That said: when tech is available, use it. And older teachers need to "connect" and learn how to effectively teach it to the students, because it's the 21st century.

:) :thumbs:

4. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Aug 20, 2016

I'm going to assume this was is response to the thread I started. I have no problem using my whiteboard to teach. I do it all the time. I think lots of people are capable of that.

But in the age we are in, a lot of teachers are under pressure to utilize technology in the classroom - from parents, admin, fellow teachers and students.

We go to all of these trainings and PDs and are shown how to make are lessons more engaging, effective. thorough and fun for students and guess what they all use - technology!!

In my district, it is the expectation that we use those interactive notebooks with fancy foldables and creative notes. It's so hard to build those on a whiteboard! They give us lesson ideas with kahoot, jeopardy games, and whatnot.

So yes, I can teach my students with the 6 expo markers I was given, and try to stay within my small paper budget. Or, I can try to find ways to use the technology I do have to save those markers and paper for when my kids will really need it.

5. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 20, 2016

My Smartboard has flaked out on me a bit this past school year and I've just gone and done plan b. I'm quick on my feet to think so it hasn't been a problem. I graduated in 2007 so I was at the end of the before smartboard existed era, so my dry erase easel can get used if needed for lessons. Of course I prefer my doc cam and smartboard but if forced I could def teach without.

6. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Aug 20, 2016

I might as well be teaching without tech right now because I don't have an adaptor for my macbook to the smartboard... so I stick anchor charts on it. :laughing:
    I agree that there needs to be an ability to teach without tech, because sometimes it just doesn't work and if your whole plan for the day depends on technology and you don't know how to make do without, good luck. I love using technology but I'm not dependent on it for my lessons because it fails, I can't get something connected, or it's just in a weird location in my room (the other issue with my smart board and doc camera). But I also agree that there is an expectation for technology to be used because it's the 21st century and that's just the world kids live in now. They're surrounded by it all the time and if school is supposed to prepare them for real life, they also need to be exposed to technology in a way that's educational (because otherwise it's just turning their brains to mush).

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 20, 2016

Though I am very tech-savvy, part of being a tech-savvy teacher is knowing how to fix tech issues when they arise, and if all else fails, what to do when tech is not usable or the best option. Tech is just another tool to use and doesn't have the be the main thing.

I will say however, I prefer to use digital versions of things purely because it's easier for me to store things in digital format, and have access to it from everywhere. But I've taught at schools were tech is very flaky, so I've learned how to break out the textbooks or the whiteboard if needed (though my handwriting is horrible), or just have kids work on some unplugged activity.

a2z, yellowdaisies and Bunnie like this.
  8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2016

I teach in a highly wired district but yes, I can and do teach (with and) without tech support. Technology is a TOOL. it's not a replacement for good teaching whether old school or 'new fangled'.

mkbren88, a2z, yellowdaisies and 3 others like this.
  9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2016

Exactly. Simply showing a fancy power point and saying "My kids learned" means nothing. HAHA

a2z and nstructor like this.
  10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2016

That's true of old school as well. Just because one 'covers' something doesn't mean meaningful understanding occurred

I have issues with those who state they "can't teach" if tech is down or there's no SB, etc.

a2z and Peregrin5 like this.
  11. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 20, 2016

I'm old school and can definitely teach without technology. I love using my document camera and powerpoints, though!

We lost power a few years ago, for about two hours. I was teaching atomic structure. I simply walked to the whiteboard closest to the window, had the kids bring their notebooks and sit close to me. I used white poster board to reflect the window's light onto the whiteboard and I taught at the board like my teachers taught me eons ago. Turns out I was the ONLY teacher that taught during that time. In the whole school. Pretty darn sad.

a2z and Leaborb192 like this.
  12. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 20, 2016

I think many educators might be!

Speaking for my own school, I find myself terribly behind on the technology they push there and I certainly don't consider myself a Luddite in the classroom. I daresay there is a faction in education who are all for a fully technological classroom experience. We are urged to often use the iPads and Chromebooks, urged to use the internet, urged to make it the computer lab, urged to use apps for the whole class to teach, urged to make PowerPoints... and this is in 2nd grade. I'm not entirely criticizing it, but it does make one wonder.

Technology wasn't a huge part of my college experience and I frankly feel quite confident teaching without technology. But it's not the movement I see.

13. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2016

I heavily rely on my smartboard which I use as a projector more than anything. If I had an overhead projector, I wouldn't be so upset when my smartboard goes out.

The other main issue I have is when I plan to do a webquest one day and the internet goes out. I don't use the internet every day, I don't have students use laptops every day, but when I specifically plan for one day and the internet is out or the laptops don't load, it is frustrating.

I taught abroad for three years without any technology. We didn't have anything in our classrooms more complex than a white board, I even had to bring in my own laptop. I did what I had to do, but I certainly appreciate having a projector, doc camera and wifi!

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 20, 2016

I can go either way. I graduated from my credential program in December 2011. My program talked a lot about tech, but the schools I student taught in didn't have much. My current school has quite a bit. I love using it with the kids, but sometimes we use paper, whiteboards and sticky notes. Sometimes my kids will make posters or skits and sometimes they'll make Google slides presentations or videos. I try to use a little of everything, because I think both low and high tech approaches are important.

Backroads likes this.
  15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2016

I'm one of the oldest teachers on staff (actually, with some recent retirements, I may be the oldest!), and I'm one of the teachers who uses technology the most while relying on it the least. Every time I plan a lesson that uses technology, I have Plan B in mind in case something doesn't work or isn't available. I have a ceiling-mounted projector in my room, purchased my own document camera several years ago and share a cart of 20 Chromebooks with another class. I recognize that technology is a tool, just like any other; it isn't the be-all-and-end-all. Technology doesn't, in and of itself, make lessons more engaging--filling in an electronic worksheet isn't any more interesting, or useful, than filling in a paper one.

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2016

Technology certainly enhances both teaching and learning....Can we do it without technology? We can...but, in today's world, why would we want to?

fjaravata and Backroads like this.
  17. TheGr8Catsby

TheGr8Catsby Rookie

Aug 22, 2016

While I do rely a lot on my projector especially, I am 86 years old at heart. There have been days when I didn't exactly turn on anything electronic. Of course, we are evaluated on technology integration, so if I'm being evaluated I definitely need something on.

That just goes down to we are using technology for the sake of using technology, not student learning...

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  18. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 22, 2016

I agree. There's really no sense in balking against technology. I don't think that means a teacher must absolutely drag in the latest-and-greatest gizmo into the classroom for no sake other than tech, but in this world, is it really so wrong to be teaching the kiddos about the common technology?

And there is a lot of good stuff.

Funnily enough, as expo markers eventually drive me nuts with 2nd graders and all the running out of ink and all that, I Donorschoose-d myself a set of lap chalkboards (and so far am loving the difference.) My intentions were less chaos with the markers and expense of chalk vs makers plus what seems to be better motor skill practice and nothing to do with being "retro" but now I'm a novelty for my chalkboards. I'm so vintage!

19. TheGr8Catsby

TheGr8Catsby Rookie

Aug 22, 2016

That's cool, and I bet they're loved! I hate the feeling of chalk, though. It gives me the heebie jeebies.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  20. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2016

I graduated from my MAT program in 2006, which seems relatively recent, but when you think about how much tech has changed in those ten years, it does seem like a long time ago! My first teaching position was in a school with almost no tech -- we had no wi-fi and I still had an old-school overhead projector! I learned to teach the old-fashioned way, with a textbook, whiteboard, and modeling. I enjoy using tech and the possibilities it provides, but I won't do something just because it's tech -- it needs to add value in some way.

Last year we lost power for half the morning and I didn't miss a beat, just pulled up the blinds, held up my textbook and went right back to teaching (despite a few pleas of "we can't learn in the dark!"). So I guess I am lucky to have gotten the best of both worlds!

fjaravata likes this.
  21. TheGr8Catsby

TheGr8Catsby Rookie

Aug 22, 2016

Oh yeah. When I was in 5th grade 2 years before then we didn't have projectors in school (as in from the computer, we had overheads). We had PCs in the classroom, but they were IBMs from the 90s. It's crazy how different it is.