Are teachers mean to you?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Teacheraa, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Teacheraa

Teacheraa Rookie

Mar 13, 2009

Is it just my school that is mean to student teachers or have you experienced the same thing? What is with this?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2009

Teachers at the school where I did my student teaching were nothing but nice to me. I think the main reason why is because I had been a student there and there were still some of my old teachers there. I'm sorry you are in that situation.

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Fanatic

Mar 14, 2009

My co-op teacher for my practicum is nothing but absolutely wonderful. The office staff are never anything but pleasant when I come in for my observation hours. It is my old school, so I'm comfortable there.

Some of my classmates are NOT getting along with their co-ops. The teacher won't let them look over the plan for the day, doesn't want to talk about procedures in the class, and just generally make them feel unwelcome. We have to teach three lessons; some of the teachers are making it difficult for my classmates to get everything done within the time frame (Some have heard "Oh, this is too difficult for you, I don't want you to mes this up, blah blah blah)

5. MrsCheerio

MrsCheerio Rookie

Mar 14, 2009

I've had a fabulous experience at my school. However, I know that others in my cohort have had problems. I guess it just really depends on the school dynamic. I'm sorry you're going through this! Student teaching is hard enough, I can't imagine what it must be like having to deal with negativity on top of it.

6. Historygeek

Historygeek Companion

Mar 14, 2009

I would hope that this isn't widespread. I am not student teaching yet but I am hoping for experienced teachers to help me by giving great advice and guidance. Sorry you are having problems!

7. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Mar 14, 2009

I understand what your talking about. Teachers are really mean to me sometimes. Like they don't want to help you and wonder why you are there. Luckily the school I am at now I am not having that issue but I completely understand what you are talking about.
    The office staff especially are ALWAYS RUDE.

8. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Mar 14, 2009

I find in many cases it depends upon how the student teacher is assigned. If the school asks for volunteers to accept a student teacher the experience usually goes better than if the ST is forced upon a cooperating teacher. I also find much depends upon the attitude of the ST. I have had some who were wonderful and came to observe,help out,teach lessons and learn.I have had a few who came in with an attitude that they know more than their cooperating teacher and have made no attempt to hide this. These don't work out well with their cooperating teacher. The office staff that is rude to the student teachers is probably rude to the regular staff as well

9. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 14, 2009

When I started my field experience my sophomore year in college, I had a teacher tell me that I looked like I belonged in kindergarten myself (I was taking a kinder class to the bathroom and she was walking down the hallway).

Just because someone is a teacher doesn't mean they're all sunshine and dafodils! I had a mentor teacher in my practicum give me a long lecture about how I should reconsider teaching because she wishes someone had warned her. She told me that I should get out while I could and have a back up plan. She was bitter.

10. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Mar 14, 2009

I interned in a school, so I was there everyday for an entire school year, and the atmosphere of the school in general was just awful. Teachers were not willing to offer advice or help, they literally looked the OTHER WAY when you walked down the hall, and they would be waiting to leave in the front hallway before the last bus was even loaded, just to name a few things. They labeled me as argumentative within the first few weeks without even knowing me, because if they had they would know that I am in fact one of the most agreeable people you will meet. It was an awful year, and the second I had the opportunity to student teach elsewhere, I grabbed it. The school where I student taught, the staff was completely wonderful, my CT was terrific and friendly and so willing to offer advice. People said HI in the halls! Now I am working in another school and again, EVERYONE is so kind. So I would say that yes, there are schools out there that are not nice to newcomers, whether it be because you are someone new to teaching or invading their personal space. But realize that there are also truly, truly wonderful schools out there as well.

11. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Mar 14, 2009

I understand your pain.

Back when I was student teaching, we had to have 2 different student teaching grades. When I was in fourth grade, my teacher and the staff was nothing but wonderful. When I had t start my eighth grade placement, I felt SO UNWELCOME and in the way. It's a tough situation; I've been there!

12. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Mar 14, 2009

Teachers who are rude to me are just wasting their time.
    I ignore them and do my own thing.
    I look at it as......
    EVERY DOG WILL HAVE ITS DAY! :D
    They just might not know any better,
    Rebel1

13. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Mar 24, 2009

Most schools I've been at have been very kind and welcoming to me. I was ST once at a high school though and another teacher said a snarky comment and I just let it roll over my shoulders.

Some people are just miserable and you have to learn to not let them get to you, it's just the way they are.