Are Substitute teachers allowed to read books on their phones or tablets?

Discussion in 'High School' started by James Williamson, Dec 13, 2017.

1. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 14, 2017

I actually expect the subs to work. If you were not taking care of my kids, you’d be placed on the do not call under any circumstances list.

You can read on the teacher’s prep period and lunch.

2. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 14, 2017

No. You are the teacher for the day, you should be circulating and teaching. Get to know the students and build a rapport - it will help with managing behaviours.

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 15, 2017

Yes. Because what they're waiting for is your eyes to be off of them for two seconds so they'll have the chance to throw erasers at each other.

4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 15, 2017

I don't know. I don't expect the sub to teach high school math for me so the work I leave can be completed independently. Additionally my students are generally quite well-behaved. I don't think it would be an issue if a sub read a book, as long as they weren't completely zoned out to what was going on in the room. I think elementary would be quite different, but I've seen many subs in my building reading books and newspapers.

5. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Dec 16, 2017

For me, there are two components to this. Are they allowed is only part of it. Is it advisable would be the other component.

In my high school, I would say that if the classroom is managed and students are being productive, no one would get fired for reading a book while substituting. (I would also say that I virtually never see a supply teacher doing this at my school because they are always working with kids and have productive work to engage in.) So it is "allowed" to the degree that you are a strong multi-tasker and have a strong sense of what is going on in the classroom you probably won't get sent home. (I would say that for most new teachers this is an area of growth - so I would question if most supply teachers can actually manage a classroom, know what is going on/how kids are doing and confirm that students are being productive while reading a book).

However, my question would be - do you want to get your own classroom at some point? If you are not planning on supplying for life I would strongly discourage it. Reading a book rather than building relationships with kids, circulating, asking them about their work, etc sends a clear message about what you prioritize and in most cases this would not bode well for future applications where I work.

6. James Williamson

James Williamson Rookie

Dec 16, 2017

Do they also read on smart phones and tablets?

7. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 16, 2017

I don't see a lot of that, but I also don't view it as much different.

8. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Dec 17, 2017

This is a field where optics are very important. No matter how mind numbingly boring it is to supervise students at times, as a fellow sub, I would never read on a device since the content of what I'm reading is not obvious. I also would avoid ever being seen with a video camera in hand and many devices today are also cameras. If you choose to potentially look as though you're not supervising them and read - and I've known a few cases in secondary where I can see that logic - at least protect yourself and go with paper.

vickilyn likes this.
  9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 17, 2017

One of the best answers addressing aspects OP hasn't considered, for sure. Well done.

CherryOak likes this.
  10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 17, 2017

I work in a school where we are not ever supposed to have our phones out for the reason of privacy laws and student confidentiality. No taking pictures with a private device. Our students are not allowed to have cell phones or internet access. If students were to get access to a teacher's phone, it could have serious repercussions. Mine is locked up when I arrive, and only unlocked after students leave for the day. Many of our students are paranoid, so if they see you on your phone, they would be quick to accuse you of recording them. NOT worth a text message or two when you consider having to answer to admin why you needed your phone out.

11. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 17, 2017

Wow, that sounds like some real paranoia! We are encouraged to use our phones for tasks such as attendance and entering grades. We are also encouraged to have students use phones for research, accessing teacher websites, and participating in class activities such as Kahoot.

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 17, 2017

Private school, 100% classified. Enough said? Our subs all work at the school full time - they know the rules. Sometimes your students are patients first, students second. It changes every thing.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 18, 2017

That kind of culture is very foreign to me. I mean I understand it. When I first started teaching my school was kind of like this. It wasn't that the principal didn't WANT pictures of the kids doing cool things. It was that she was afraid that without signed permission, we would get in trouble for posting student pictures anywhere. I helped write and implement a photo release form that all parents signed at registration day so that we ended up being more free to take photos and post them to our website, for Donor's Choose projects, our school Twitter, etc.

14. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Dec 20, 2017

My school has some high profile parents who don't want their kids' pics on anything as it could potentially endanger them. I get it.
    Each school needs to do what is right for their students and families. Privacy means different things to different people. People who are termed millennials tend to think differently about a digital presence than people who would be considered boomers. Not to generalize too much, but that also comes into play in this discussion.

15. James Williamson

James Williamson Rookie

Dec 20, 2017

Would laptop be okay since it doesn't have a camera on the back of it?