Are Substitute teachers allowed to read books on their phones or tablets?

Discussion in 'High School' started by James Williamson, Dec 13, 2017.

1. James Williamson

James Williamson Rookie

Dec 13, 2017

Using the phone at work seems to be taboo at some places but I thought after a sub takes attendance the rest of the class time is pretty much downtime, so are subs allowed to read books or books on their e-book app on phones or tablets?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2017

I wouldn't read during class time or when you are directly supervising students, but during a free period or at lunch it shouldn't be a problem.

Caesar753 likes this.
  4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 13, 2017

Instead of asking on this forum, why not ask at the districts you are subbing at? However, you might want to leave out the part where "after the sub takes attendance the rest of the class time is pretty much downtime." Some schools may very well resent that. What you do about using your cell phone when you are not in charge of students is totally up to you, unless asked to do some other kind of job while in the school.

And no, I don't think you should be reading on Kindle or your cell phone when you are supposed to be teaching. Additionally, if students are denied the use of phones, I would recommend bring an actual book if you want to read, assuming that the district green lights this.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Upsadaisy likes this.
  5. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Dec 13, 2017

Where I sub we are encouraged to teach lessons in the elementary level. I know high schools and some middle schools we have assignments to give to the students but there is not much "Downtime" in order to relax and read but It could be different in different districts.

6. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Dec 13, 2017

Um...no, don't use your cell phone when you are to be supervising students. Ever. Also, I don't know why you consider everything "down time" after attendance. You wouldn't make it as a sub using the phone or any other e-reader at my school where you are expected to teach lessons that were prepared by the teacher for you to teach.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 13, 2017

I personally never use devices during my subbing jobs unless they're called for in the lesson plan (as a timer, for quick research to answer a question, etc.). As a substitute "teacher" I should be teaching. Now, some teachers leave plans that essentially mean that students have "downtime" after taking attendance (when they just have to watch a movie for instance), but you are still required to constantly monitor. For example, I did a job today where I was just told to show them an hour long youtube video, but if I took my eyes off of them for a minute, things would be sure to be flying around the room or someone would leave their seat to go bother someone else. I don't think any district imagines that they're paying subs to sit on their phone or tablet to read books in the same room as a student.

Get up, talk to students about what they're learning in their tasks. Check for understanding. Learn about their lives. Sitting and reading a book while they should be working is just as bad as playing games on your phone or watching youtube videos while you should be subbing imo.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2017

Not if you want to be invited back.

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2017

As a sub, I didn't use my phone in class unless it was urgent or if I needed it for something school related. You can usually do whatever you want to on your planning period and I used my phone. In elementary school, you are expected to teach so you won't have time to read or anything. In middle school, the day got very boring often and if it was a good class, I sometimes read a book while they worked which was acceptable in my district.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 13, 2017

No.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 13, 2017

I have independent reading time for my kids. I have a couple classes that are really small (5 and under). I know my subs sometimes read with them because it's very easy to keep an eye on them. However, we're a pretty unique environment in a lot of ways.

12. James Williamson

James Williamson Rookie

Dec 14, 2017

What about hard copy books instead of books on your cell phone or tablet?
    I read that for high school subbing, there's not much to do except take attendance and give them assignments or show them a movie.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2017

As a sub, you should be prepared and plan to teach a class. Yes, many secondary teachers will leave activities that students can do on their own, but it may not always happen. Even when it does, your responsibility is to actively monitor students, circulate the room, and ensure that they're on task. You can't do those things while you're reading a book, even if it's a hard copy book.

I've had small, excellent groups of students who could be trusted to work on task even with a sub. In those situations, I personally wouldn't be upset about a sub reading during class, as long as he kept a close ear on students. Most classes, however, require a lot more supervision, even during something like an educational video, and I would expect a sub to be actively supervising.

During unassigned time like free periods or duty-free lunch, I should think that it's perfectly acceptable for a sub to read or play on his phone.

14. James Williamson

James Williamson Rookie

Dec 14, 2017

Was that for high school students? Did you stare at them while they were watching the video?

15. James Williamson

James Williamson Rookie

Dec 14, 2017

If you read on the condition that you circulate the room every 5 to 10 minutes, would you be okay with the sub reading when not circulating the room?

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2017

No.