AR Bulletin Board

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by bigcat, Aug 4, 2006.

1. bigcat

bigcat Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

Hi...I'm a reading teacher for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade (lower end students) and I need a bulletin board. I'm thinking something to do with AR that all grades can be involved in......or just a reading bb. Any ideas are greatly appriciated. :thanks:

3. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 4, 2006

Do you have any kind of theme? I do a lot of reading bb's, give me a little more info and I'll brainstorm for you!

4. heart4kids

heart4kids Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

I have an AR bulletin board that I keep up all year. I have each six weeks' AR goals posted and each student has an object with their name on it (depending on our school theme--race car, star, etc.) This is moved across the board as they reach each goal. This year I am going to use the students' pictures on their object to make it more personal.

5. Mrs. Porter

Mrs. Porter Rookie

Aug 5, 2006

Carson Dellosa has a race track with mice cars "On track with Good Behavior" is what it is called, but my team is going to have a AR race for each quarter goal. So we will change the title up to fit AR. We might even buy another track to make it longer and more like a maze. Our school theme is who moved my cheese, so we are trying to make it more like a maze with mice and the cheese at the end is the goal for the quarter. Jen

6. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 5, 2006

We did the race car theme for the classrooms in our unit. Our title was "Race into Reading." We've done stars, "A.R. Stars" and each kid's name is on a star that we put up when they meet their goals. I usually do a monthly AR bb in my classroom that has a reading slogan that is appropriate for the month/season, and each kid gets some kind of cutout with their name on it. We do one sticker for each 100% correct test, and a prize at the end of the month for the student with the most stickers.

7. bigcat

bigcat Rookie

Aug 5, 2006

AR Bulletin Boards

Mrs. Mom...I left you a private message.
    Thanks to all the ideas posted everyone.......I really appreciate it. If there are any more out there.....I'd love to hear them.

8. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

bigcat, here are a few thoughts so far...

I leave my bb's up for one month, and use a theme appropriate for the month or season. Your idea about the flower/bug theme is cute, although I might save it for spring and use a slogan like "Good readers are blooming everywhere" (focus on the flowers) or "We're Buzzing about Good Books" (or something like that, focus on the bugs). Like I said, I always use a cut-out of something that fits my bb theme and put each student's name on it. Then I buy the mini stickers that are appropriate for the theme, and they put on one for every 100% correct test. Obvious fall theme "Fall into a Good Book" decorate with autumn leaves & use leaf stickers, or "Nuts About Books" use a squirrel/nut theme, probably still use leaf mini stickers. October, "Batty About Books", "Books are Spook-tacular", Nov. "We're Always Thankful for a Good Book", Dec. "Tis the Season to Curl Up with a Good Book", Jan. "It's Snow Secret We Like to Read", Feb. "We Love to Read"......

Does any of this help??

I am using a baseball/sports/team theme for my room and A.R. this year. My big A.R.wall display will say "Reading-The Sport of Champions". I just found a website that has cute sports/reading clipart (link attached). I'm going to make a transparency of the baseball one and use it to draw a larger image to make my wall display. PM me if you need more info or have questions!!

9. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

10. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Aug 7, 2006

Mrs. Mom,
    These are the cutest ideas for bb themes! I was trying to think of changes I could make to my boards but keeping the same subject and you have such great ideas! I'm going to be using a lot of these sayings! Thanks!

11. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 7, 2006

Glad you can use them!

12. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 7, 2006

We do a prize when a student reaches their AR goal and then make a new goal. 3rd grade students get in the drawer and get a package of red licorice and share a stick of licorice with each of their classmates. Each classmate tells them:Thank you and Good Job or Glad you reached your goal OR anything nice and encouraging.

We don't make AR a class competition. We make it a self achievement.

Any test with an 80% or better score counts.

I think to do both individual and competition against other classrooms would be good.

13. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 7, 2006

We do a lot of AR rewards...it is self achievement, class achievement, as well as somewhat competitive! We also have a large trophy that goes to the classroom with the most points/highest percent correct (book level is figured in there, too, I think) every month, and that's a big deal to all the kids. It is a traveling trophy. Hescollin, I only do the bb challenge in addition to the numerous other self and classroom challenges...I find that my kids work harder to get 100s instead of settling for 80s when there is a sticker involved! I hope I didn't sound like we make AR a bad thing!!!!

14. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 7, 2006

Oh, I forgot to mention the licorice idea is great! I've never heard of anyone doing that....of course, we are now "candy free" at our school, so I guess I can't steal that idea. Darn....

15. Mizz Lucy

Mizz Lucy Guest

Aug 7, 2006

I read last fall at this forum how a teacher made a board into a grid with letters across the top and numbers down the side. As students passed an AR test, they wrote their names in any box such as D3 or E9. Once filled, she drew for prizes. "The winner of this gum is H5!"
    I plan to use this with rewards such as eating with the teacher, free cut in line, no homework pass, etc.

16. read2me

read2me New Member

Aug 8, 2006

Wow...I keep checking back and you guys keep coming up with great ideas. Thanks so much.

17. TeacherKay9

TeacherKay9 Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

Planet jumping for AR point tracking

Last year I had a spare black board that I drew the nine planets and the sun on with colored chalk. I took each students' picture and pasted it on a clipart astronaut with a magnet on the back. Each student had an individual goal based on his or her reading level. When a child achieved 10% of their goal they got to move their astronaut to the first planet, etc. 100% achieved put them on the sun. I kept it up all year even though the solar system was only my beginning of the year theme. I liked that each student goal was based on a realistic goal for their reading ability. I had some low readers who were of the first few each quarter to meet their goal. I can email pictures of the board to anyone who's interested.