Approval of Public Schools at an All Time High

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tyler B., Sep 5, 2017.

1. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Sep 10, 2017

I used to feel this way, not even long ago. But I've watch NEA sit by and do nothing while my state falls apart—do nothing more than collect dues, that is. The few ads they run are so timid and cautious that viewers have nothing to counter the garbage coming from the other end of the spectrum.

NEA isn't going to protect education. They will, however, collect dues and publish newsletters.

2. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Habitué

Sep 10, 2017

People who support public education should be politically involved. By this I mean they should vote and contact their lawmakers. The only thing that speaks louder than the millions in the charter/voucher industry are voters who make their opinion known.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2017

Can I sign up to speak at a rally for charters and vouchers or would you frown upon that?

Backroads likes this.
  4. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Sep 10, 2017

I'm much happier with the NEA than I was with the AFT. NEA seems more reasonable and level-headed, while the AFT is more combative... Of course, this is all based on my personal experience. I'm not claiming that it's true across the board.

Tyler B. and AlwaysAttend like this.
  5. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Sep 10, 2017

You're probably in a great state that supports its teachers. I am not. NEA has failed Indiana miserably. NEA has failed a lot of states.

It's not just teachers being destroyed. When we take away services or replace a traditional level of service with a substandard one so that suits may make a profit, we are wrecking the lives of our kids. We are giving away the services we are paying taxes to get—AND STILL PAYING THOSE SAME TAXES!!!

So, I'm past level-headed. NEA should play to win, or get out of the game, but perhaps there's too much money to be made, collecting all those dues without providing services. Huh....Just like my state and its collection of taxes.

Tyler B. likes this.
  6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

7. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2017

But there is $$$ to be made. Profit above all else.

Tyler B. likes this.
  8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2017

That's because salaries go up. The same level of taxes is required to support less people since they now cost more.

bella84 and Backroads like this.
  9. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Habitué

Sep 10, 2017

I don't think you can put the blame for the gutting of Indiana public education on the NEA. Politicians had to allow or even encourage the destruction.

bella84 likes this.
  10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2017

At least the failings in Indiana will help advocates in other states force a narrowed scope. You should only qualify for a voucher if you'd otherwise have to attend a failing school. Unless I'm wrong, it doesn't seem like that is happening in Indiana. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

11. DAH

DAH Companion

Sep 10, 2017

One person's garbage is another person's treasure.
    (I couldn't resist.):)

12. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Sep 10, 2017

I certainly do not put all the blame on NEA. Primarily, the blame lies with legislators who have sold out an entire nation to satisfy their own personal greed and ambition. Then there are the corporate interests who are demanding a nation of slaves. NEA has done little to nothing to influence public opinion in favor of the public education our taxes is supposed to provide. In Indiana, NEA rolled over and played dead while legislators publicly demonized teachers and took away labor rights. They did tell us we had to picket outside the state house—while they collected dues.

NEA did not gut public education, but they've done little to fight for it.

13. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2017

Is there a chance some of these people are doing it because they believe it's the right thing to do?

14. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Habitué

Sep 10, 2017

I respect your opinion, but what I think you are saying is the defenders were too weak. Shouldn't you be more angry at the attackers?

I share your grief at the decimation of Indiana schools.

Maybe, if parents and teachers unite and become politically active, some of the damage can be reversed.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  15. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Sep 11, 2017

My state doesn't support or not support teachers... It's not really an issue here. Our schools are controlled by local school boards, for the most part. I mean, of course, testing, standards, and funding come from the state, but our school board determines our salaries.

NEA does exactly what I want them to do. Keep me and other members up to date on issues. Provide resources and support where need. Lobby the federal, state, and local governments. And, otherwise, lay low and let me determine how much or how little I want to take advantage of what they offer to me.

Backroads and AlwaysAttend like this.
  16. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Habitué

Sep 12, 2017

Another new survey about what parents want regarding education was just released; conducted by the highly respected Hart Research Associates. Here's their top 5 findings. Are parents sharing thoughts like these with you?
    1. Parents say public schools are helping their children achieve their full potential and expanding opportunity for low-income and minority children.

2. Parents want access to a good neighborhood public school much more than increased choice of schools. Their highest priorities for these schools are providing a safe and secure environment, developing their children’s knowledge and skills, and ensuring equal opportunity for all kids.

3. Parents worry about several trends in education today, including inadequate funding, excessive standardized testing, class size increases, cutting non-academic subjects, teacher turnover, and shifting resources from regular schools to charters and vouchers.

4. Parents disapprove of Betsy DeVos’ performance as Secretary of Education and reject her “choice” agenda. They express little confidence in either DeVos or Donald Trump as education leaders, instead looking to teachers, principals, and parent organizations for the right ideas for public education.

5. Parents’ education agenda focuses on investing in traditional public schools, with particular emphasis on expanding access to CTE programs, reducing class size, supporting struggling neighborhood schools, including art and music in curriculums, and providing health and nutrition services. They strongly oppose shifting resources from traditional public schools to fund either charter schools or vouchers.

17. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Sep 12, 2017

While I am for public education, this particular survey was conducted by the AFT, therefore extremely biased. I highly doubt that parents (the population in general) are as enthused about public schools as the AFT wants everyone to believe. Just sayin...

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  18. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2017

No need to ruin the story.

19. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Habitué

Sep 12, 2017

I share your skepticism of information from biased sources. However I checked out Hart Research Associates and they are the real deal. Even if the information is biased, it's interesting that voucher legislation usually goes nowhere when the public votes on it. When vouchers are passed by a well-lobbied legislature, few parents take advantage of them. Most often it's parents whose kids already go to a religious school.

I think the survey is spot on when it says parents want a good neighborhood school.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  20. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Sep 12, 2017

great news!