Approval of Public Schools at an All Time High

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tyler B., Sep 5, 2017.

1. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Habitué

Sep 9, 2017

I think that teachers have a duty to remain politically active and counter the anti-teacher, anti-public education voices.

AmyMyNamey and DressageLady like this.
  2. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Sep 9, 2017

I respectfully disagree. I have a personal interest in doing so... I enjoy taking up educational policy as a hobby. I like to read about policy and research, and I like to engage in conversations about it. However, I disagree that all teachers have a duty to do this. For one thing, not all teachers share the same opinions about what is considered "anti-teacher" and "anti-public education".

I believe all teachers have a duty to maintain their credentials and be committed to providing a high-quality education to their students. Anything beyond that is going above and beyond and is a matter of personal interest and individual values.

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2017

That's not what the post she quoted said. What do you mean by politically active beyond voting? How should we counter voices? By yelling at people at board meetings?

Backroads and bella84 like this.
  4. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Habitué

Sep 9, 2017

Can you single out an element of the poster's discussion to refute? I thought some good points were made. I might be wrong, but it seems you are attacking the poster and not the poster's opinions.

5. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Habitué

Sep 9, 2017

This was exactly my view as well. Then the corporate reform movement started attacking my profession using misinformation. I could not stand by silently while this was happening. We educators need to have counter arguments handy and stand up for our profession.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2017

Pretty much all of it. Let's start with "actual teachers". As if anyone who disagrees isn't a "real" teacher.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2017

Different opinions and facts aren't an attack on you or your profession.

Backroads, DAH and bella84 like this.
  8. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Sep 9, 2017

That's fair, and I respect you for standing up for what you believe in. But I disagree with the expectation that all teachers should feel that same as you do, as well as the expectation that any teacher who does happen to feel the same as you should get politically involved. Again, I respect anyone who shows integrity and stands up for what he/she believes in, but I strongly disagree that this should be considered a "duty" of all teachers.

SageScience and 2ndTimeAround like this.
  9. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2017

I would agree with bella, in that while it's important that we are supportive of each other, of the educational process, etc..., and of course being highly effective teachers, that I think beyond that, it's actually more effective that teacher stand up each for what they believe in based on what they feel most strongly about.

For example, I'm not comfortable with entering the world of politics, even around education. However, I'm perfectly comfortable and enjoy standing up for my philosophy towards driving success with independent reading and math mindsets, outside of my own use and effective teaching of each.

Backroads, bella84 and AlwaysAttend like this.
  10. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Sep 10, 2017

And this would be fine, but for the fact that politicians and their corporate backers are entirely comfortable entering your world and destroying it.

There is no hole deep enough to hide from this level of evil. I doubt anyone is expecting we all run for office, but instead have sense not to pretend our problems do not exist, nor turn the other cheek when confronted with lies and misinformation.

11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2017

Many of our problems are self inflicted

SageScience and bella84 like this.
  12. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2017

I suppose that's where I allow my union dues to go to work...
    Even if they are comfortable entering my world, I know I'm not the best to send in the ring to fight back. If a big defensive end is coming at my quarterback, I'm going to put someone there to block him that feels comfortable with it and has the skills needed!

SageScience, bella84 and Backroads like this.
  13. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2017

And what if the teacher doesn't agree with every little thing? What of teachers who support school choice? What if they want to stand up for the rights of homeechoolers or private schools?

14. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2017

Oh please. Not the argument for oligarchy trotted out. People of different views arent smart enough to know what's good for them, right? Heaven forbid we allow diversity.

15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2017

Like this guy.

bella84 and Backroads like this.
  16. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Sep 10, 2017

Right. I'm fairly anti-union when it comes to the field of education... I assume that my stance would be considered "anti-teacher" or "anti-public education" by some. However, I'm anything but those two things.

greendream and AlwaysAttend like this.
  17. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2017

I have zero experience with unions. They sound great and all, but at the same time I've always been happy with agreement between employee and employer. Does my contentment mean I am anti-teacher or anti-public education? Does the fact that I think public education is a wonderful thing that should be supported mean I'm not allowed to cheer on homeschoolers and private schools?

AlwaysAttend and bella84 like this.
  18. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2017

Come to Fla. Most of our problems originate in Tallacrappy. Morons making policy. Ive been teaching in Fla since the 70s. They are determined to prove the "schools are failing" Most are in love with that Devos where we divide the $$$ up among every little charter and church school till the public schools are done. Funny, our state constitution says the opposite.

AmyMyNamey and AlwaysAttend like this.
  19. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2017

The narcissism that it takes to call everyone else blind while one goes about believing they alone know the truth is mystifying. However, this is the same person that claims anyone who doesn't toe her line must not be a teacher so it is to be expected at this point.

20. DAH

DAH Companion

Sep 10, 2017

We have a majority wins system. And if we have a minority opinion, there's a number of things we can do to persuade others to see things our way. Or, we can just drop-out, go home and pout about it. This is why so many families, businesses, and nations split, because they don't agree with the direction the others are taking it in. Teachers are good at doing this when the majority doesn't get their way, (strike).