Approval of Public Schools at an All Time High

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tyler B., Sep 5, 2017.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 7, 2017

You can't "Yeah That" your own post. That's just self-aggrandizing.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    bella84 likes this.
  2. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2017

You said you are ok with a few tests, how many standardized tests are your students taking?

3. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Sep 8, 2017

I'm a little confused because I thought that the discussion of politics was against the TOS of this site. This entire thread is highly political and will result in a gigantic flame war....

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2017

If it reaches a point where you aren't allowed to have basic conversations between consenting adults, I say shut the forum down and stick to the printables AtoZ.

bella84 likes this.
  5. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Sep 8, 2017

By way of votes!

otterpop likes this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 8, 2017

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  7. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2017

Personally I think computer-adaptive testing could take care of a lot of this. For those who aren't aware, computer-adaptive testing is done on a computer and gives different questions depending on what the tester gets correct.

For example, after the first two questions one could get both right, both wrong, or one right and one wrong. If one gets them both right, the computer gives a more difficult question. Both wrong, a less difficult one. One right and one wrong, a question of similar difficulty. Each question then proceeds off the history of previous questions.

The GMAT is done this way, and what was previously a 3-hour test gets done in a half-hour (sometimes less).

Incidentally -- speaking purely legally -- it should be noted that originally the bill of rights did not apply to the states, and only was deemed to apply after the 14th amendment's equal protection clause. This means that at the founding an individual state could establish an official religion. This obviously isn't our understanding today, and a reevaluation of this would require us to also reevaluate other first amendment freedoms such as free speech and press.

8. DAH

DAH Companion

Sep 8, 2017

I figured that I would be the only one that felt that way, so I had to support myself.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 8, 2017

Feel free to communicate your preferences to the site owner: use the "Contact Us" box at the bottom of this page, or send her a PM. She might even comply. On the other hand, she hasn't done so up to now, and (with one highly instructive exception) she has been explicit with the moderators about not wanting political discussions here, so you might have to deal with the forum as she wants it rather than as you want it.

a2z and Upsadaisy like this.
  10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 8, 2017

There's no explicit rule against it, of course, but I agree that it's odd, though I'd say less self-aggrandizing than needy.

11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2017

Seeing as it hasn't been shut down it must be OK. Not to mention the absurdity of discussing anything education related without considering the political issues related to it.

I would expect the political debate to be limited to education though.

bella84 likes this.
  12. DAH

DAH Companion

Sep 8, 2017

:toofunny:

13. greendream

greendream Cohort

Sep 8, 2017

Here's some more points from that poll that don't fit the OP's narrative quite as nicely:

• If cost and location were not issues, just one-third of parents say they’d pick a traditional public school over a private school (31%), public charter school (17%), or a religious school (14%).
    • Just 21% agree that vouchers erode the quality of public schools. Opposition to vouchers seems based on views about the appropriate use of public funds.
    http://pdkpoll.org/results/using-public-money-to-support-private-schools

Backroads, a2z and AlwaysAttend like this.
  14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 8, 2017

My understanding of how political discussions are moderated is discussion of ISSUES is more than okay, provided it remains civil and doesn't delve into a red / blue / green issue. In other words, let's talk about what moves the world and the classroom, but keep it non-partisan.

Upsadaisy and AlwaysAttend like this.
  15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2017

That's how I roll.

16. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Sep 8, 2017

I've tried using "contact us" (for a different issue though) several times and have been unable to get a response. Also, I do not have the ability to PM, unfortunately.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  17. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Sep 9, 2017

By and large, the American public is is led by the nose like some dumb animal at the hands of legislators, lobbyists, and a media enslaved by advertising dollars from legislators and lobbyists. Frankly, the American public doesn't know what the hell to think, though this never stops them from trying—badly. The American public likes to be manipulated. The American public has been conditioned to favor an existence defined by subservient lechery and self destruction.

Atop the perpetual social manipulation, tax dollars we think are being used for the services needed to maintain a just and verdant society are stolen by legislators and their corporate backers. Yet no one seems to notice or thinks to raise an alarm. The American public has been manipulated to a point that they can no longer perceive long-term threats, cannot react properly to even short-term threats, and values media titillation beyond self-preservation.

The loss of quality public education is paving our way to a national state of wage slavery never seen before—even beyond that America experienced prior to the rise of industrialization.

The forces working to reduce America to a third-world source of cheap labor supporting the growth of foreign economies are emboldened, relentless, and widespread—but largely subversive. They are everywhere.

Actual teachers and members of the thinking minority have a duty to find and highlight the actions and manipulations of those who favor a powerless, enthralled America.

I am alarmed by the frequency at which views challenging anti-labor and anti-education rhetoric are being classified as partisan threats that need to be shut down.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 9, 2017

I know the button doesn't always get a response. If you want me to set up a PM for you and another member, I can set it up. I will try PMing you.

19. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2017

Did you run out of tin foil this morning or did you have enough to cover all the windows?

greendream and bella84 like this.
  20. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Sep 9, 2017

As an actual teacher, I have many duties, but I don't think that's one of them.

greendream and AlwaysAttend like this.