Apprehensive :/

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Hello.Mitra, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Hello.Mitra

Hello.Mitra Rookie

Jan 10, 2010

I am finding out my placement for my Junior internship tomorrow morning, and I really want to be excited, but I can't help but have a zillion other thoughts and feelings bog down that excitement.

I didn't start my college career knowing I wanted to be a teacher. I started off interested in fashion design, journalism, writing, and then education. This ring-around-the-rosie has completed yet another revolution, and I am unsure about teaching, and it couldn't come at a worse time, as mentioned.

I was wondering if anyone has double-majored or pursued a Master's degree in something other than education as a "fall back"? I really enjoy being in the classroom, but am slightly worried about obtaining a job and the possibility of being able to provide for a future family fairly comfortably on a teacher's salary.

Thanks in advance :]

3. love2learn07

love2learn07 Rookie

Jan 11, 2010

During undergrad I majored in English, minored in writing and graduated with the intention of working in journalism full-time. After graduation I worked at a news organization for a few years. Although I loved many things about the job I've actually found that my income has improved since becoming a teacher. I'm also far more satisfied and fulfilled professionally since I started working in education. Granted it isn't a huge salary or anything, but it is enough to live pretty comfortably on--especially once you've been in a district awhile (according to my co-workers).

I'm getting my master's degree while teaching and couldn't be more pleased with the decision to switch careers. I think there's always some apprehension about whether or not this is really the "right path," but I hope this all becomes clear for you once you begin your internship. I know a couple of people who have double-majored or considered getting a master's in something else. I think this could help if you are unsure about teaching or really have a strong interest in another subject area as well. This could also be an added benefit if you decide to specialize in teaching that subject area (i.e. pursuing a Master of Journalism and teaching a high school journalism course.)

Best wishes on whatever you decide and your internship !

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 11, 2010

I didn't start college to be a teacher either: wildlife managment, art, psychology, behavioral psychologist (earned a Masters), and finally secondary English language arts.

Love my job (11th and 12th grade language arts and English Adjunct).

I wouldn't make a decision about not wanting to teach until you spend some time in your internship ... it sounds like you haven't student taught, either?

Or, are you saying, you want to change majors again?

I live in an area with a low cost of living and live very comfortably on a teacher salary.

5. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jan 11, 2010

My college requires a double major- they suggest a content area, but as an early childhood major they do not really push it, so long as you pick a second major and complete prior to entering the professional ed program.

6. Hello.Mitra

Hello.Mitra Rookie

Jan 17, 2010

Thanks for all of your advice and support :]

It's so odd to see how my enthusiasm changes once I start being in an education environment. I haven't even stepped foot in my internship classroom yet, but just spending time in my other four courses on campus has made me so excited to get into the classroom and teach.

I've decided that I'll just take life as it comes. I really am enthusiastic about teaching, there's just always that slight underlying doubt if I'll truly enjoy teaching for the rest of my life. I know I'm going to get my master's in something, whether it be education related or I go the more marketable path with an MBA.

I totally agree with your statement of actually spending time in my internship. I think I was a little downtrodden from my last student teaching experience where all the teacher did was complain about how horrific her class is, how she can't control them, and how she doesn't want to teach anymore. Her students were disrespectful and the classroom totally lacked classroom management.

I usually LOVE student teaching (I think I've had more than 100+ hours student teaching). I think it may have been the mentioned experience combined with my father's aspirations of me doing something else, something "better" (as in profitable or respectful in his eyes), than teaching.

Thank you again for your good advice and experience <3!