Applying to a school again that I was rejected at?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Taylor556, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Taylor556

Taylor556 Rookie

Mar 27, 2019

Is it considered acceptable to apply for a school that I was rejected at 6 weeks ago for another position? It was for a temporary second grade position and this is for a full-time third grade position in August. The only experience I have differently that I didn't have then is subbing.

The principal called to tell me they had filled the position but they really enjoyed hearing me and my story and that I had so many great things to share. When I asked for feedback, he said it was filled internally. At this school district, they tend to hire internally first. He said at many different levels I interviewed well and that I have a very calm demeanor. And that a lot of my passion for teaching came through. He said to talk more about my experience and to be sure to draw out why an interdisciplinary unit is important and what the benefits are to using it.

They seemed to really like me but I don't know if it's acceptable to apply again at a school 6 weeks after being rejected. Doesn't it reek of desperation? And it'll be very awkward since both the principal and assistant principal will be interviewing me again.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2019

If it is a position you are interested in, I see no reason why you shouldn't apply.

4. Baroness

Baroness Rookie

Mar 27, 2019

It reeks of determination and dedication. Not of desperation. Good luck!!

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 27, 2019

We have had multiple teachers apply to our school more than once. We have hired several of them. Sometimes one job is a better fit than another.

bella84 likes this.
  6. Taylor556

Taylor556 Rookie

Mar 28, 2019

Thanks everyone!

Ima Teacher, I have a kindergarten/primary concentration and excel in teaching the primary grades so a third grade position wouldn't really be the best fit. But I'm desperate for a job so I'm assuming I might have to teach a grade level that isn't ideal before teaching a grade level I love?

Also, would it be possible to be hired for a full-time third grade position after being rejected for a temporary second grade position?

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Mar 28, 2019

It will depend on your skill sets and experience. Sometimes it is about your willingness to learn on your own time to fix your own deficits. Unless you have been told, bluntly, that you are not a suitable teaching candidate or good fit for the district, it can never hurt to apply to a new posting. It is often about who else applies, so every time you apply you will almost certainly face a different applicant pool. However, if you are jaded about being turned down once already, you may not be in a good mental place to apply, since it may color how you view every comment, or read into whatever is said or asked. If you feel that you were treated poorly in your prior experience, you may go into the interview with a defensive posture that is off-putting. That could result in the negative self fulfilling prophecy.

futuremathsprof likes this.