Applying mid-year..

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HeartDrama, Oct 29, 2017.

1. HeartDrama

HeartDrama Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2017

I'm applying for a position at a high school in a district that rarely has openings even in the summer. I submitted my application on the district website and am now drafting an email to the principal to let him know that I applied and that bring my name to his attention. My question: Should I give a reason as to why I'm seeking employment elsewhere in the middle of the school year? The reason I plan to tell them is because of the commute. I took job living about 30 miles away knowing I'd be moving in the fall. At the time I thought I'd move closer, but it turns out we've moved further away. I'm now about 40 miles from the school.

Other reasons I want to leave: My desires for the students do not align with the vision or goals of the P. I also get the hunch that he doesn't like me very much. There's also a chance that our charter would not be renewed next month and I will be unemployed. How should I address this with the new P, if at all?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 29, 2017

If asked, stick with the idea that you have relocated closer to this new district and away from your current employment. If pressed further, talk about the need for job security and the investigation of the charter school where you are.

4. mrsf70

mrsf70 Rookie

Oct 29, 2017

Many teachers change districts mid-year. It's much more common than it was even ten years ago.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Oct 29, 2017

Stick with the commute and consider the rest of your reason TMI. To share about whether or not the charter will be there next year is breaking confidentiality, and some second guessing on your part. I wouldn't begin to verbalize that you think your principal doesn't like you, and vice versus, because it could come off as paranoid and may not be true. As far as goals and vision, you should simply be articulate about what your vision and goals are, without being snide about the goals and visions of others. You are there to sell yourself, not disgrace your current place of employment. Just remember - principals talk among themselves, so be very careful not to give the impression that you bad mouth colleagues. Just a couple of thoughts.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  6. HeartDrama

HeartDrama Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2017

So include the desire for a shorter commute in my follow-up letter, or no?

7. heatherberm

heatherberm Comrade

Oct 29, 2017

I left a job about this time last year and no one ever asked me why I was looking to leave my district. I'd have the commute reason ready in case it comes up in an interview, if it comes to that, but otherwise I think I'd leave it alone.

8. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Companion

Oct 29, 2017

If it were me, I wouldn't even address the issue unless it were brought up. That might be better discussed in person during an interview, whereas I would just use the email to re-iterate my interest in the position.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  9. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Oct 30, 2017

I'm with heatherberm - no reason in letter, and if asked in interview, commute is the way to go.