Applying in new content area

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by viola_x_wittrockiana, Mar 26, 2018.

1. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Mar 26, 2018

So this is my first year applying for SS positions and I'm wondering how best to approach the situation. My "home base" certification is k-12 music, but I have an SS endorsement pending for 5-8. When I write my cover letters, should I address my "main" area as well? Do I pretend that I'm not also certified in something completely different? Normally I'd ignore it, but I'm concerned that the type of qualifications I have will cause confusion if I don't address it. My degree is a BMe (my diploma says education, but it's a BM instead of a BA/BS) and I wasn't a history minor. I have more than enough content credits for an endorsement though. Also possibly relevant is that I've been tutoring everything but music in my post-grad ed. career. Do I try to spin my other content area into an asset, or would it look better to address only SS? I know it'll come up in interviews and I'm ready for that; I'm just not sure what to do about the cover letter.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 26, 2018

I'd spin it into an asset, definitely. For one thing, it will distinguish you from the other candidates.