Apply or Not?!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherBug08, Feb 26, 2013.

1. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Feb 26, 2013

So I am student teaching now and my supervisor just e-mailed me to say that she talked with this principal that has a 1st grade job opening. The principal wants to know if I am interested in an interview. Wow! Couldn't be more excited, but what my boyfriend is going for we have to be a bigger city. This school is 1,000 people and no bigger town close by. It is still very early in the job search. I shouldn't settle for this should I? However, do I still go to the interview to gain experience? I really would love some advice because I am not sure what to do?

3. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Feb 26, 2013

**The town is less than 1.000 people.

4. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Feb 26, 2013

I would go for it. You never know. If anything it will be experience

5. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Feb 26, 2013

Take the first job offer you get. You can be picky in this job market.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2013

You really cannot be picky in this job market. If you want a job and are willing to work anywhere for a job, then I would go on the interview. If you aren't willing to go to the town for a job, I wouldn't even go on the interview.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2013

Go for it.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2013

DEFINITELY go for it. This job market is too tough to turn down any opportunity. You don't have to live in the same place where you have your first teaching job forever. With my husband and I, I got offered the good career job first, so we moved for my job. (Only about an hour away, but it's something.) Who knows if we'll be here forever, but I don't regret this decision for one second, and neither does he!

Also, it's first grade, which is my personal favorite - no way would I recommend turning that opportunity down! :D

9. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Feb 26, 2013

And don't forget, boyfriends come and boyfriends go!

10. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Feb 27, 2013

I agree it is amazing opportunity. The only thing I am thinking is that it is so early and I haven't even had the opportunity to apply for the openings that I really do want...

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2013

It may depend on what area of the country you're in. In my state (California), there are practically NO jobs. When I graduated I applied statewide. We were willing to move almost anywhere for my job. I couldn't have the "maybe something better will come along" mentality because I knew I'd be incredibly fortunate if anything came along at all.

My current job was my first opportunity, and I am VERY happy where I am!

12. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Feb 28, 2013

I got two job offers my first year out of college. The first one came a couple of weeks before school started and was miles from my home. I would of had to move to a community where I knew no one. The second came the first of November. It was miles away from home, but I did have family living close by that I could live with. Point being, I didn't get the "dream job" that I waited for. It never materialized. Now, twenty years later, instead of being able to retire at the end of the school year ten years from now, I'll have to work in to the next school year until October to even be able to consider retirement. Do, I wish I would have took that first job. You bet! Can I live with the decision I made. I have to. The advice I'm trying to share is that you must be able to live with the decision you make today; today, tomorrow, next month, next year, and many, many years down the road. Live with no regrets!

13. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Mar 1, 2013

Does your boyfriend have a higher paying job in the big city? Is he a keeper? Does he view you as a keeper? Can you be financially stable without a teaching job? Are you willing to work in another job than teaching? Are you willing to sub for the next year or so?

14. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 2, 2013

Since you aren't married, I would say go for the job interview. Take care of yourself (and your profession) since no commitment has been made between you and him. If it's meant to be, you two will survive a long-distance relationship while you get yourself started in your profession and he gets himself started in his (my hubby and I did while we were still dating).

15. dannyboy

dannyboy Companion

Mar 7, 2013

Small town school versus big city school job? Small town any time. Most of the "want to cry" posts here are from urban schools. Go for it and make boyfriend commute. This is written by a guy.