Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jul 16, 2017.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Jul 16, 2017

anyone have one? If so, are you happy with your purchase? Contemplating buying one.

3. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Jul 16, 2017

I have one, and I'm very happy with it. I use it primarily for the notifications (texts, reminders, calendar alerts, etc.), but it's also nice for tracking fitness levels. It comes in handy when I have a lot of students who go to other teachers throughout the day. I just set reminders for each student's schedule, and then my watch lets me know when it's time to send them! It's also helpful for knowing if I received an important text in the middle of teaching. I don't always have my phone right by me, but I can quickly see if there is something urgent that I need to respond to. All in all, a great purchase!

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Jul 16, 2017

A very good friend was dismayed when her spouse gave her one - too expensive, not necessary, and the list went on. A year later, and I'm not sure she could live without it. I'm not as invested in my electronics, and certainly not afraid to miss a text or a calendar alert, but for those joined at the hip with their cell phones and computers, it seems to be something highly enjoyable.

5. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Jul 16, 2017

I should add that I felt the same as your friend initially, as I'm not usually into having the latest tech or anything like that. I mean, I love my gadgets but not in quite the same way that many do. I'm okay with older items, as long as they get the job done, and I certainly don't need to have everything. An Apple Watch didn't seem necessary to me... I changed my mind when I saw how a colleague with a FitBit was able to quickly read a text message from her husband in the middle of a team meeting we were having. It was like she didn't miss a beat in the meeting and was able to read and reply to the text message. At the time, I had been using my phone for reminders about when to send students to other teachers, but it was a hassle when I left my phone on the other side of the room and the alarm started blaring. Once I saw what my colleague could do with her FitBit (which I initially mistook for an Apple Watch), I decided that I had to have one, to make teaching and moving around the classroom easier, if nothing else. Now, it's very rare that I go a day without the Watch.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    vickilyn likes this.
  6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jul 16, 2017

I looked at one last week when we took DSS to the Apple Store to get a new MacBook for law school. I do like gadgets, but I had trouble seeing it. I'd need to use my reading glasses to see it. I also don't have an iPhone. I love my iPad, but I prefer my Galaxy phone.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2017

I'm Android as well, and I have an ASUS Zenwatch 2. I love it! I can view texts as the poster above noted, and I can even respond quickly by voice. When I was taking a prescription, I set alarms and the watch vibrated so I didn't miss a dose. It was much less expensive than an Apple Watch--about $150, as I recall. It also takes standard easy-change bands, and I have silicon bands in several colors.

vickilyn likes this.
  8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2017

You can get a martian notifier watch on amazon for like $30 if you want notifications. I've been very displeased with notifications from FitBit. Martian Notifier is by far my favorite to wear but it doesn't track fitness.