Anyone use this reading program? I got it free!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by becky, Sep 14, 2007.

1. becky

becky Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2007

Someone gave me a huge grade 2 reading program called Macmillan Reading Connections. It's in this big yellow box, and the contents include several different blackline masters books, TE's, workbooks, charts, and testing books. Plus, this is two levels and they're both complete programs. Anyone use this?

3. becky

becky Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2007

32 views and no response??

4. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Sep 14, 2007

I've never used it! Does your school not have a reading program? If you have nothing I would try it out.

5. becky

becky Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2007

I homeschool, Mom. I do already have a program that I've used for three years now- www.readingatoz.com. I just wondered if anyone here knew anything about this set. It's huge and looks great, but I was hoping for feedback from users.

6. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Sep 15, 2007

Oh I'm new so I didn't know you were a homeschool mom! MacMillian is a good company, they have a lot of other good programs that I know about.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2007

32 views and no responses probably means that no one uses this particular series but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's not good (just might be an older version of basal series currently used in school systems) Why not take all the stuff out and see what's there? The good thing about basal series are that they are typically highly organized. Stories are chosen to illustrate and develop specific skills, which are taught in a strict pre-determined sequence. The teacher's book usually contains ideas for pre- and post-reading activities and assessments, as well as scripted questions to ask students at specific points in a story to chec for comprehension. As a homeschool teacher, basals can be a reassuring tool because of their organization and structure. You generallly aren't going to 'miss' a strategy or skill with their use... Don't throw out the other good stuff you are doing though- still use 'trade books' for independent reading and so your daughter has CHOICE in her reading material. You want to foster a love of reading while also covering all the skills and strategies needed as a proficient reader.

8. becky

becky Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2007

Oh, czacza, we still use RAZ for our reading program. I'm so used to it maybe that's why I can't get a grip on this new set. There are so many components, I'd need them here to remember them all. When our RAZ story and lesson doesn't last all week, I'll get the new set out. The student book is full of stories, and an occassional poem. There is a wkbk, challenge activity, vocab. activity, writing activity, and enrichment activity with each story. I just pick and choose what to put with it. It's a fun break for Jeannie, I think. Her favorite reading to do on her own is Garfield comics. It's amazing to see her pick up little nuances within the comic. Even the vocabulary she sometimes encounters is a good learning experience. I wonder if there's any Garfield learning tools?? I want to start copying a few pages of her Garfield books, to white out the dialog and let her write her own dialog for them.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2007

Sounds like RAZ has many of the components you would find in a basal series...glad it's working for you.