Anyone have ever taken progesterone only BC

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 4, 2014

Hey guys! So, I would like to be back on BC, but I cannot be on the typical estrogen BCs due to migraines with the auras.

MY doctor prescribed Depo Provera, but I was doing a bit of research and found that there is also a pill called the mini-pill that is also estrogen free. I haven't gotten the shot yet (my appointment is this Friday, but I may postpone because I want to make sure I'm making the right decision).

I was just curious if any of you guys have ever been on a progesterone only BC, what your experience was and which one you were on.

Thanks!!
    :D

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 4, 2014

I'm on the shot and I love it. The first time I got it, I was very emotional for a few days, then my body adjusted. Now I love it!

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 4, 2014

My significant other did the shot for a while, but she wasn't able to handle it.

5. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Mar 4, 2014

I have done progesterone only BC. I ended up getting pregnant...so I don't recommend it. Although I do have my 3rd bouncing baby boy to thank for it :)

6. msaly

msaly Comrade

Mar 4, 2014

I cannot have estrogen so I have been on the mini pill for 3 years. I love it, and haven't had any side effects. I take the generic for micronor.

7. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Mar 5, 2014

I was on the mini pill for a bit while breastfeeding DS. It is crucial that it be taken at the same time every day for it to be effective. They don't always suppress ovulation for all women, they work more by thinning your lining so a fertilized egg is less likely to implant.

Needless to say, for the brief time I was on it, I doubled up and used condoms because I was terrified of getting pregnant again too quickly. :) But I think if taken appropriately it should be just fine.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2014

Thank you all for your input. The one reason why I told my doctor I would like the shot is because I have a terrible memory and worried that I wouldn't be good at taking it on a regular basis. When I was on the normal, regular pill, I would constantly forget to take it days at a time.

I did a little research on side effects... some of them scared me. Weight gain, hair loss, increased body hair, decrease in breast size (although other sites mentioned an increase- I guess I'm okay with this one :D), acne, etc.

I know the regular estrogen BC had side effects and I didn't have any of them... wondering if it would be the same with this one. ?

9. msaly

msaly Comrade

Mar 5, 2014

I was on regular bc for 7 years before I started getting chest pain, blood clots, nerve damage, etc. They discovered it was from the estrogen after trying literally every type of combo pill there was.
    She told me my options were the shot or the mini pill. I chose the mini pill because if I had side effects I could stop taking the pill and the medicine would be out of my system in about 24 hrs. With the shot it stays in your system for 3 months.

I started the mini pill 3 years ago and haven't had any issues, so I've continued it instead of switching. The shot and the mini pill are not the same, the type of progestin is different.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2014

ooooh, I assumed they were the same, just given in different forms. Hmmm, I rebooked my appointment from this Friday to next so that I have more time to research before she gives me the shot. I may back out and opt for the pill, as that makes sense about the side effects being out of your system sooner.

11. msaly

msaly Comrade

Mar 5, 2014

They are the same in the sense that there is no estrogen in them, but they use a different type of progestin. There is also a progestin only implant if that's something you want to look inTo!
    If you didn't have any symptoms with the other ones, they shot may work for you! I was just petrified of the scary side effects I was having with the combo pills that I was very skeptical :)

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2014

Yes, my doctor brought up IUD, but the idea of having something surgically implanted into me scared me a bit. Maybe I'm overreacting, but it seems so drastic!!

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 5, 2014

I was on the shot a long time ago for a year, and I just got it again in January. The side effects sound scary, but remember, those are just side effects that might happen to some people.
    I think I gained a few lbs when I was on it, but it might not have been because of it. However I didn't have my period for an entire year and that itself was worth it!
    That is most the reason why I got on it now, I didn't want to have my periods. So what happens? I just had it for 2 weeks straight. I guess it's not so bad, my issues before were that when I had it, it was such a hassle, I would have leave class to check things (and get someone to cover for me), a few days before I'd have to pee like in every single hour. Now it wasn't inconvenient like that, so it's ok. I just hope it won't be like this every month.
    I did lose 4 lbs though, but that's because I was scared to gain even more weight and was more strict on my diet.

But I never had any side effects with hair loss / gain, moodiness, or anything like that.

14. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Mar 13, 2014

Interesting points in this thread. I'm following...I know when I go back for my post-baby visit, we're going to need to talk about bc. I'm really unsure of what I want to do.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2014

It's not really surgically implanted. It's just inserted, and it can be removed at any time. The Paragard (copper) IUD has no hormones and so might be a good option for you.

If you struggle to remember to take medication on time, I do not recommend the mini-pill. It needs to be taken at exactly the same time every day, like literally within minutes, for it to be fully effective. If you miss a dose or take it an hour late, your risk of pregnancy increases a ton.

Everyone I've ever known who has gotten the shot has gained a lot of weight, like at least 50 pounds. That doesn't happen to everyone, but it's something that should certainly be considered before going that route.

16. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 13, 2014

My wife took micronor for the same reason... Bad migraines, but she did find it challenging to take them on time. I ended up setting an alarm with a baby's cry on it for every day to remind her to take it.

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 19, 2014

Hi guys! I ended up taking the risk and got the shot. This was last Friday and so far so good. The site of the injection was very sore for a few days, but other than that I've been fine. I spoke with my doctor about the side effects and based on our conversation, I felt a lot better about getting the shot.

The biggest concern is the bone loss as I am very tiny with tiny bones. I do not do any dairy products, so I will have to be very careful and adamant about calcium intake now.