Anyone excited about the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by chicagoturtle, Aug 6, 2008.

1. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 21, 2008

Why don't you change your homepage? That would solve the yahoo spoiler issue.

2. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2008

So the IOC is formally investigating the age of one of the Chinese gymnasts.

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 21, 2008

I hadn't heard that...is it the one with missing teeth????

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 21, 2008

Another one I think, but once the dominoes start falling...
    http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/be...estigation-into-He-Kexin-s-age?urn=oly,102564

As to the release of event results before we get a chance to see the events, Yahoo! is not the only guilty party. I was watching the NBC national news and they started giving the results of today's events (to be shown in prime time) without warning! "And on to today's Olympic events. The US Women's Soccer team took..." They didn't even pause so we could change the channel!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2008

Weazy--how exciting for your son! What events will he be watching?

As far as coverage of events, we are very lucky. Our national station broadcasts most of the night (for those who can stay awake) starting at 6:00pm and all morning, until noon. I have been able to watch most of the "big" track events live, as well as diving, equestrian, etc. Basically, we can see live any events held in the morning or at night in Beijing.

6. smalltowngal

Aug 21, 2008

rws-I've noticed that too! Oh well, hopefully they'll get everything together for the next Olympics.

mm-This is the one that got the gold on the uneven bars, but I agree, this is just the beginning.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 22, 2008

The investegation was a total farce....it lasted all of a couple of hours and looking at the passports again, and, *gasp* government issued birth certificates. They didn't even have the brains to fake it very good. Who do they think they're fooling. This whole mess makes me think that there really is something they're trying to hide. Why else would they put on a show for an obviously fake "investegation".

Besides that, even if, by some wierd sequence of events, the chinese girls are of age, then China still lied...but in previous competitions. So, the question isn't did China cheat, it's when did China cheat. Either way, they were dishonest and deserve sanctions.

8. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

I'm back--I couldn't log on AtoZ last night--part of the outage. :(

His group has tickets to the track and field events. I'm disappointed that neither the men's or women's teams qualified to compete inthe relay final. That would have been exciting for them to watch. I am sure there will be plenty of other events to watch, and just to be there should be exciting! I hope he brings me something back. hehe

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2008

He'd better!!!!!

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 22, 2008

My mom & I wished we had gone to Beijing! Boy, did we really miss out! :mad: Olympics time is the best time to visit other countries because many Americans are there & you're not sticking out like a sore thumb being out there all alone, especially if you don't speak their language. Plus, every 4 yrs is a good amount of time to save up for the next trip.

From now on, I want to travel to EVERY summer Olympics, no matter what country it is!!! In 2012, it's London & I certainly want to go because I've been wanting to go there for forever for Wimbledon since I'm a huge tennis fan!

My aunt died at a fairly young age this morning (58) & although I already realized how short life is & we have to enjoy each day to the fullest, her passing motivates me even more to experience as much of life's experiences as possible & seeing this world is definitely on the top of my list!

11. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Aug 22, 2008

Wow, your champion, Michael Phelps, is relaxing in the south of Portugal right now... :)

12. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

:love:
    I have been to London and LOVED it!! :love: I want to go back!! I did not get to see everything. You will love it too! Good luck!!

I think I was born to travel, but I wasn't born rich. Is something wrong with this picture?

13. smalltowngal

Aug 22, 2008

Well, what are you waiting for?!?! Go get his autograph!!! And one for me too! :D

14. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

My son called (from China) about an hour ago. He went to the olympics last night (China time, this morning our time) and said it was the most awesome experience of his life. His seat was three rows up from the track!! He said he was sitting a little to the right of the medal flags (flags that are raised during medal ceremony) and was wearing a red shirt. Maybe you will recognize him. haha :lol: Anyway, he was very impressed, and really enjoyed the medal ceremonies. He saw the Bolt guy from Jamaica set the new world record.

Tomorrow he is off to see The Forbidden City and Tieneman Square, and on Sunday he will see The Great Wall of China. I guess there is a possibility he could get to go to the olympics one more time. I hope so.

I'll shut up now. Sorry.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 23, 2008

Weazy, don't stop, I love hearing it. I bet the air is electric being out there in person watching it all! I'm not rich either, but I think I was born to travel too! I tell you, if I suddenly became wealthy, I'd travel around the world & I'm talking about those cruises that last 2+ months! I'd keep doing it until I've gone to practically (if not) every country on earth.

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 23, 2008

I want to save up for the 2012 Olympics in London. That would be amazing!

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 24, 2008

They say that for 2016, a bid's been put in to have it in Chicago! When it's within the US, I definitely want to go!

They didn't show much team synchronized swimming. They didn't even show the one team that had the costumes that had lights on it. :mad:

So today's the closing ceremony. Any closing remarks anyone?

I love watching it on TV, like I always have. This one's been great. I just really wish I had been there in person.

18. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 24, 2008

The team with the lighted cosutmes were forced to wear something different. They went with a cartoon character with his hat on backwards :D

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 24, 2008

I see. I had DVR'd the whole 8 hrs, so I didn't hear what the commentators said about it. The judges probably figured it was too distracting.

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 24, 2008

Have the closing ceremonies been shown? I though they were supposed to be last night, but they were still showing competitions.