Anyone excited about the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by chicagoturtle, Aug 6, 2008.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 19, 2008

Aside from the women's gymastics and the opening ceremonies, I have rather enjoyed them. (when I've watched)

2. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2008

I've noticed and been disappointed by it. It feels very stale watching the Olympics without any cultural references, particularly in the case of China which has been so important to world history and so unknown to many Americans. You'd think they'd allow pieces on Chinese art, or historical inventions, or something.

I find it a bit sad that they're using underage athletes, but I'm probably more disturbed by the lip syncing done. The world would have loved Yang Peiyi as much as Lin Miaoke, regardless of the chubbiness of her face or the awkwardness of her teeth. I'll be charitable and say the Chinese government is just trying a bit too hard to portray perfection.

I'm also a bit bothered by the reactions of some towards Asian athletes generally. Some people will cite the rigorous training schedules, and call Asian athletes "robots" who are forced into training. I don't think it's a fair accusation: becoming an Olympic-caliber athlete isn't something you can just push someone into doing, even if they're talented. I have no doubt that these athletes follow a difficult schedule, maybe more difficult than if left to themselves, but also do not doubt that they have great personal commitment to the sport that isn't forced from outside. Heck, I have difficulty making my 8 year old practice the piano for twenty minutes a day, much less getting him to do something for hours on end.

edit:
    As far as the Olympics on the whole, I've enjoyed them but wish they'd show a greater variety of sports. I've pretty much seen swimming, swimming, more swimming, gymnastics, and beach volleyball. My kids are seeing them for the first time, so it's great to see the light in their eyes as they see people do truly amazing things ("and they didn't even fall!").

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 19, 2008

There's a huge difference between dedicating your life to a sport because you love it, and doing it because you know that it's your families ticket out of poverty. Can you imagine having your kid taken from you when he or she is just a toddler to be put into a training program and worked relentlessly until it's the only thing your child knows. Even more than that, knowing that that's your ONLY child, because the law punishes you severely if you do have another child. I've heard many stories about kids who do this because "it will bring honor to their families", but say nothing about loving the sport.

My own child has to be forced off the ice. He drags me to the arena at insane hours of the morning, not because I want it, but because it's his passion. An athlete of that caliber should be doing it of his on initiative, not because some government agent identified him as a small child and forced him to live and train in a boarding school situation long before he was old enough to decide for himself.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 19, 2008

I've seen the more obscure and/or unpopular sports on the cable channels at strange times. Handball, beach volleyball, boxing, equestrian, soccer, etc. at 6AM are not likely to be seen by a great many people, but it's all about the ratings.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 19, 2008

One of the female gymnasts had reportedly called home in tears some time ago wanting to return to her family, but her parents refused to let her come home. She had no choice but to stay and keep training.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2008

And this is the way its been for us as well.

I find it sad as well that these athletes cannot go home to their families because of the training schedules, and that this is the only way that some of them can get out of proverty.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 20, 2008

Yea! Shawn and Nastia took gold and silver! You go, girls!

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2008

what?!

isn't that child neglect?

how can you refuse to let your child come home? :unsure:

they're pushing these kids way too much!

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 20, 2008

That's just the way it is in china, and formerly in the USSR. It's considered an honor to the family to have a child in one of those programs and it's also frequently the only way to secure a family's living situation. The little girl in question came from a very poor family and having a child who could compete at this level ensured them a stable home and decent food/clothes/basic needs. Remember, for centuries "family honor" has been the absolute, most important thing to the Chinese people. The government tells them that dedicating their children to these athletic programs is a matter of "family honor". The rest, as they say, is history.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 20, 2008

Ah, the synchronized swimming duets are on now! I love the beautiful costumes.

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 20, 2008

I heard something about Spain's swimsuits being too flashy, but I didn't see them? Did you Ms. I? What did you think?

12. smalltowngal

Aug 20, 2008

I can't find syncro swimming, but beach volleyball is proving to be quite an exciting game!!

13. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 21, 2008

I want to watch it also, but can't find it.

14. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2008

They apparently have actual lights on them, powered by miniature waterproof batteries.

I don't see a problem with it, actually. I probably have more of an issue with synchronized swimming being considered an athletic event than the types of costumes they use.

15. smalltowngal

Aug 21, 2008

Well, no point in watching tonight, Yahoo already ruined that surprise for me. :down:

16. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Aug 21, 2008

I am happy that Nelson Évora won a gold medal. Portugal won one gold and one silver.
    I have been getting to bed extremely late, in order to watch the Olympics. Yesterday I found myself watching racewalking for one hour and a half!:eek:

17. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Aug 21, 2008

Oh, and congrats to the USA team!

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 21, 2008

Yay! Rhythmic gymnastics will finally be starting today! It's always done towards the end.

They're showing some track & field today & it's pouring rain! I hope no one gets hurt.

Tonight on the Oxygen channel, they're showing a gymnastics gala where the gymnasts perform for fun.

There was talk about it, but it hasn't been shown yet. They were talking about the team that has the flashing light costumes. Only the duets have been shown so far. I can't wait to see how it looks, probably very pretty. I like the team better! They can do even more tricks!

The last 2 days, for me, it's been on the Oxygen cable channel & the medals have been awarded for duets so far. Do you guys get that channel? In my area, the Olympics is shown on NBC, CNBC, MSNBC, Oxygen, and USA Network. Do you get any of those? The synchronized team is still coming, so you haven't missed it all yet.

19. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 21, 2008

I just found out that my son gets to attend the two days of the olympics-- track and field. (we originally thought he would only be there one day) He said Beijing is awesome!! Of course, they poured 40 billion into that city, so it should be!! I can't wait to hear more from him, but his pictures have been great! I can't believe he is getting to experience so many great things!! I know I'm bragging--but I can't help it. I'm so proud of him for working hard in college and making these opportunities possible for himself.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 21, 2008

Weazy, don't worry about it. If I were in Beijing right now, I'd be excited & bragging a little too! :D