Anyone do "The Daily Five?"

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by adellesmama, Jul 25, 2007.

1. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2007

Thanks mrs100, I was hoping that the k teachers who use it.....love it! I am going to try to get it started in the next week....:)

2. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Sep 10, 2007

Wow! This approach is amazing! I started guided reading today and had NO TALKING in the background as the kids Read to Self! It was wonderful to concentrate on the group! My class really likes it! We are already up to 14 minutes! They also like Read to Someone- up to 7 minutes on that. I have been teaching them the things that I want them to do during Word Work and Writing, so haven't implemented those yet. I wish I would have done this last year!

3. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Sep 10, 2007

I am the original poster and I just really love this! It is working so well in my class!

4. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Sep 11, 2007

This is my 2nd year using Daily 5 in my 2nd grade classroom, and I have to brag... We have been in school 14 days and we already go the full 45 minutes! It's amazing! I was lucky to get 21 kids who love independence and can follow directions to the T! So far we do Read to Self, Writing, and Word Work. Does anyone have other ideas for Word Work? I do white boards, magnetic letters and words, stamps, string, play doh, chalk, and letter beads. What else have you used that works?

5. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Sep 11, 2007

We are implementing the Daily 5 in my first grade classroom. We have only been doing it for 2 days (I didn't start it until 2 days into school) and it seems to be going well. We are still working on stamina.

6. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Sep 11, 2007

It's going pretty well in my classroom too...it's been 10 days and we're up to 12 minutes of read to self and 6 minutes of work on writing! A bit of noise during work on writing, but they're getting better!

7. LLteach

LLteach Rookie

Sep 11, 2007

Haha, writing is noisier for us, too! Does anyone use the Lucy Calkins writing series? That is awesome as well and I highly recommend it! I used it in 1st grade last year and now am using it in 2nd grade.

8. parentdopey

parentdopey New Member

Aug 9, 2008

I like your schedule. Did you emplement writing into your daily 5? HOw did you do it? At our school we teach a writing mini lesson and everyone writes at the same time (so it would not be a choice of when they want to write), while they write we go around and have writing conferences. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Tina

9. parentdopey

parentdopey New Member

Aug 9, 2008

Yes, we use Lucy Calkins writing. I want to try the daily 5 but I don't know how to fit writing into it.
    Tina

10. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

I use both Lucy caulkins and Daily 5, but keep them separate. We consider Daily 5 literacy time and writer's workshop is a different time completely. They may choose to work on things from writer's workshop during Daily 5, but we don't do mini lessons on writing during Daily 5. I hope that makes sense...:)