Anyone do official modeling in science?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Camel13, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Camel13

Camel13 Rookie

Aug 10, 2018

i just completed a three week modeling course in physical science. Transformed my idea of teaching! Wondering if anyone on this forum has tried or is doing modeling in their science or other classes. Would love to hear feedback or successes.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 11, 2018

Let me suggest that you sketch out how you mean "modeling": it could be you'll get some responses from people who are doing what you're doing but happen not to have heard of it under the name "modeling".

czacza likes this.
  4. Aces

Aces Comrade

Aug 11, 2018

Yeah I'm very confused as to what is being referred to as modeling. If op means the picture in a magazine kind then no I do not model with my textbook. (For op: I'm a hs science teacher for context)

WindyCityGal606 likes this.
  5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2018

:rolleyes:

6. Aces

Aces Comrade

Aug 11, 2018

I mean my bird leg and my fake leg that is currently Spyder themed would not be magazine worthy.

WindyCityGal606 likes this.
  7. Camel13

Camel13 Rookie

Aug 11, 2018

Oh goodness. I am not sure exactly the definition, but it is a process of teaching that engages students in a cycle of investigation, Socratic circle discussion and formulation of science concepts with a teacher acting more as a facilitator rather than using lecture, worksheets, or direct instruction. Using large whiteboards for students to draw diagrams and ideas of what they are learning is a key part. I am really excited about the process, but hoping to find some other folks who have delved in. This style of teaching has been around since the 1980s but this isn’t the first I had heard of it.

8. Aces

Aces Comrade

Aug 12, 2018

Oh. Then yes, at least partially. My classes are lab-based which are hands on activities.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2018

Most science classes are. Modeling, however, seems to be a different approach that could be used in conjunction with lab-based instruction.

Camel13, this is very exciting! Do you know if any of your colleagues use the modeling approach? You might try looking on twitter for other educators who are immersed in this method for continued discourse, resources and inspiration.

10. Aces

Aces Comrade

Aug 12, 2018

Well if I'm understanding, it sounds like it's more of a real-world setting for science, rather than a classroom setting at least in how students go about the learning. Students are given limited information and are expected to fill out the rest via experiments. Unless I'm just misunderstanding (which is entirely possible) my students do this. They just don't draw as much.

11. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2018

Modeling, sounds like a snake oil name for how most of us science teachers have been doing it for decades!

Aces likes this.
  12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2018

It seems to me that this is a different strategy than lecture, readings, lab. Perhaps the OP can elaborate or point us to a website so we can more clearly understand.

13. Camel13

Camel13 Rookie

Aug 13, 2018

Here is a link to the American Modeling Association: https://modelinginstruction.org/
    I stumbled upon this really. I signed up for a three week course through my university’s STEM program. It sounded like a great intensive professional development opportunity. I was surprised by the approach to teaching. Like Aces said above, it is more real world, and has students conduct investigations and make observations. They then create whiteboards of their ideas using graphical analysis to probe at the underlying reasons why something is observed. Essentially the process has students discovering scientific laws themselves, without us as teachers just telling them and having the students memorize for a test. There is a lot that goes into this that is more than I can recap here. Anyway, I am hoping to find more teachers having success with this methods since I am new to it to gain support and bounce ideas off.

14. physteach

physteach Companion

Aug 13, 2018

My entire curriculum is based on creating models through experiments and argumentation so yes.

bella84 likes this.
  15. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

16. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Aug 18, 2018

I use "official modeling " in my classes. I have been attending 2 year program where we were trained in this style of teaching and did lesson studies on it. What would you like to know?

17. Camel13

Camel13 Rookie

18. Camel13

Camel13 Rookie

Aug 19, 2018

Everything! Lol. I am so excited to begin. I attended a modeling course specifically for Physical Science, but I gained access to the resources for other science areas. Since I teach both middle and high school science in y small school, I have been re-vamping my classes since. I feel like this is really going to help my students that struggle with rote textbook reading, lecture, and worksheets. But, I am also a bit scared that I am in over my head! I only just finished my first year teaching! In a way this seems so advanced for me, but I feel like the students will learn more if done correctly. Geology Girl, are there positives you can encourage me with or stumbling blocks you could point out in first year implementation?

Geologygirl likes this.
  19. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Aug 19, 2018

It is hard for us because it's very different from how we were taught. It also takes some getting used to for the kids as well.
    The thing to remember is that it is better for them even if they complain at first since it teaches critical thinking vs memorization, and problem solving.

Pros: engagement goes way up when you have the kiddos create their own questions to explore from the phenomonan. Sometimes you might have to help lead them to asking the right questions( what is required in the standards) as some come up with super random questions which can not necessarily be answered with the supplies available in class, or by science. One strategy I have to help with this is to tell them, the question must be about science. Another is to ask them leading questions about the question that is presented. One strategy I heard last week is to have students create questions from their observations of the phenomonan. ( The ice on the heavy block melted faster than the ice on the light block----> why did the ice melt faster on the heavy block? Then give them a choice of the available equipment you have on hand to design a experiment to answer the question.

This does require more planning because you might have to find different readings depending on their questions. But again this type of teaching doed help students develop skills they will need to solve problems in life better.

TeacherGroupie likes this.