Anybody ever completed a one-year Bible reading plan?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JimG, Jan 16, 2018.

1. JimG

JimG Comrade

Jan 16, 2018

I have tried and failed a one-year Bible reading plan before, basically reading a single book at a time with three or four chapters each day. I did plan on breaking it up into five cycles of seven different themes. Even still, I eventually got stuck in Isaiah and didn’t follow through with the rest.

Just today, I am trying to start again. This time, my plan will still call for usually three to four passages each day, but those passages will be pulled from various books throughout the Old and New Testsment. So I will still read through entire books, but I will read a little from two to three books each day rather than focusing on a single book at a time. Hopefully this will keep me from getting too bogged down in any one book.

Has anybody here successfully made it through the entire Bible in a year, or any amount of time for that matter? If so, what was your reading strategy? What struggles did you face along the way? Any words of wisdom you would like to share?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 16, 2018

I’m six months into my two year plan. I bought a one year Bible that is separated by days with sections of old and new for each day. I decided to do one testament at a time.

On days I’m ill or run ragged, I give myself permission to skip and then catch up on the weekend. If I demanded a strict schedule for myself, I’d get behind and eventually quit.

4. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 16, 2018

Unless the Bible changed when you stopped reading, I would pick up where you left off and get the reading that stopped you cold when you are fresh and motivated. You may find once you are able to push through the part that stopped you that other sections won't be a daunting when you find them harder to read for whatever reason. A goal is great, but if it stops you because you aren't being completely successful then the goal is a weight and not being utilized for what it is meant for.

Read on. Stop tying your progress to a pre-set goal.

Question: Why a year? What is so important about that timeframe?

otterpop and greendream like this.
  5. JimG

JimG Comrade

Jan 16, 2018

Thank you for your reply. My wife recently bought a bible similar to what you described. That is a good idea to focus on one testament at a time.

I also like what you have said about giving yourself permission to get behind and then catch up later. I am sure that even if reading is part of a daily routine, there will be days that routine is broken up and plans need modified. I will keep that in mind.

Good luck to you!

6. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

Jan 16, 2018

I’ve tried them in the past and just lose focus. I do better with short reading plans that go through a specific book or group of books. Isaiah is tough but definitely worth the read when you get there!

I mostly reread Psalms and the epistles anymore. Sometimes one of the major prophets or John.

7. JimG

JimG Comrade

Jan 16, 2018

Here is the reason I did not decide to pick up where I left off on the old plan from a few years ago. As I mentioned, I had split it up into five cycles of seven themes. Now that I think about it again it was really eight themes (nine if you count Revelation as its own since I saved it for the very end as it did not seem to fit with any others). The details of this were I would plan on reading (roughly) a fifth of the Pentateuch, a fifth of the history, a fifth of the poetry, a fifth of the major prophets, a fifth of the minor prophets, a fifth of the gospels and Acts, a fifth of the Pauline epistles, and a fifth of the general epistles, then repeat with the second fifth of each, the third fifth of each, and so on. The way that broke down for the first cycle was Genesis, Joshua through Ruth, Job, Isaiah, Hosea through Joel, Matthew, Romans through 1 Corinthians, and Hebrews... I never made it to Matthew. Job and Isaiah are both very long and carry very melancholy themes. After about a month of reading through mostly melancholy themes for twenty to thirty minutes every morning, I just couldn’t take it any more. I understand they have their purpose and am not discounting the importance, but you can see why I got bogged down. This is why I am hopeful that this new reading plan I will follow mixes in different sections each day so that those difficult sections will be more manageable and balanced with other readings.

As for the goal of a year? I don’t really have a good answer other than that it is a goal that is both challenging and manageable.

Thank you for your response.

8. JimG

JimG Comrade

Jan 16, 2018

I can relate with the losing of focus. Something I have done this time to help is I have created a Google Keep checklist for each of the readings. Hopefully this will help to keep on track. It certainly helps me keep up with daily tasks while teaching.

Good idea about the short reading plans of specific books. I may go back and try some of those after I get through the entire thing.

Thanks for your reply.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2018

Is there a reason people don't read it front to back like any other book? It would be a lot easier to keep track that way because all you'd need is a bookmark.

10. JimG

JimG Comrade

Jan 16, 2018

Some people do, which is perfectly fine.

However, the Bible is not one singular, continuous narrative. Though physically it is a single book, narratively it is sixty-six different books with a variety of authors, purposes, themes, settings, etc. which are interconnected more like a web than one continuous flow chart. This is why it lends itself to a variety of different ways to read it or just parts of it, depending on one’s particular focus.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Bioguru likes this.
  11. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jan 17, 2018

I know a person (who recently went to Heaven) who preferred to read the Bible cover to cover 3 times each year. I've read the Bible through myself--I made a photocopy of the contents page and marked the books off with a highlighter as I completed each book. (Note for any unfamiliar with the structure of the Bible, the Bible is one large book of many different books, each divided into chapters, and each chapter divided into verses for ease of locating passages). I didn't use a time frame, just read. Reading through the Bible can be a slow process. There is so much even in just a single verse, and it's easy (and profitable) to get bogged down studying just a single small passage. Personally, I vary what I choose to read each day. Sometimes I read along in a book that the pastor or a radio pastor might be discussing or sometimes I just choose a specific book to read. Sometimes I do a topical study. Sometimes I read a book by a contemporary author that focuses on a specific Bible book or theme. (That is what I am currently doing now with Dr. David Jeremiah's book, A Life Beyond Amazing).

Of course, the purpose for reading the Bible corresponds with one's religious beliefs. Personally, I believe that whatever I read becomes part of me. It constantly changes me.

JimG likes this.
  12. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Jan 17, 2018

Just to add to this, you also have material that is repeated and expanded upon. For example, the two books of Chronicles repeat (and add to and take away from) material in Samuel-Kings. A good reading plan will keep the passages covering the same material in all three sets of books together.

13. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Jan 17, 2018

14. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jan 18, 2018

I started on a couple plans for two years in a row, but just lost focus by February. Not too proud about that, but I do want to read the Bible in a year, OP. It's a worthy endeavor and manageable (I believe the plan I was on had me reading 7 chapters a day).

15. JimG

JimG Comrade

Jan 19, 2018

You and I sound similar. It is indeed a worthwhile endeavor and easy to get off track. But I realized I didn’t have to wait until January 1 rolled around again, I could start any day and still read it in 365 days.

In the link at the bottom is a list of various plans with descriptions of what kind of focus they are designed for. If you click on the blue-font title of each plan, you can see how each is broken down by day without having to sign up to be a member. I chose the Thematic plan toward the end of the list and am liking it.

I believe if you create a username on the site, it has tools to help keep track of what you read, or you could just print off the list of days and cross them off as you go. One thing I have done on my checklist I created for my readings is highlite the days corresponding to Wednesdays and Sundays, with the idea being that if I get behind, my new mini-goal would be to get caught up by the next highliged day, just to keep from getting too far off track.

https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-reading-plan/

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  16. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jan 22, 2018

I have used the one year plan but it took me closer to three years.

17. JimG

JimG Comrade

Dec 29, 2018

Welp, I did it. Just today I finished the readings for Day 365. So I have now read through the entire book in a little less than a year!

Bioguru, tigger88 and miss-m like this.
  18. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2018

WONDERFUL! Not many have.

19. JimG

JimG Comrade

Dec 31, 2018

Thanks. It really became a morning routine. After waking up and pottying the dogs, I would spend 20 or so minutes in my daily readings with a cup of coffee. The question now is, do I sleep an extra 20 minutes, or find something else to do this new year in that time? I am a morning person, so likely, the latter. I got a daily devotional as a birthday gift, so maybe I will read that.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 1, 2019

Every year the church I used to go to laid out the reading plan of what we're to read each day to have the entire Bible read in a year. I never tried to do it myself. I'm sure you can Google this & it will tell you what to read each day.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2019

My hubs loves the Daily Audio Bible podcast.

greendream likes this.