Any tip in taking CSET in English?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by azreader, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Ignatius

Ignatius Rookie

Jul 9, 2007

It says I lacked subject matter knowledge about creative writing.
    The funny thing is that when I embarked upon subtest 1V, I felt like I had entered an oasis. It felt like a vacation after the rigors of the prior three subtests. The creative writing portion was the easiest in which they asked me to offer constructive criticism.
    I basically pointed out sections where the writer should have shown and not told and edited out the prolific use of adverbs.
    In other words, I approached it as I have done in the past with my creative writing students.
    I thought I did really well on this portion, so I was astounded to discover I flunked it.
    Perhaps I misunderstood the question?

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 9, 2007

Could be...

For Subtest IV questions, the performance indicators show that a response fell short in Purpose (p), Knowledge (k), or Support (s). Getting a k generally means that the test taker wasn't using enough buzzwords to suggest a good grounding in the domain, or wasn't using them accurately. You might try imagining that you're explaining to a peer what it is that the kid did wrong - and usually the creative writing question asks you to focus in on one or two classes of error.

3. Ignatius

Ignatius Rookie

Jul 9, 2007

Thank you very much for trying to help--really!
    But I am afraid I am as confused as ever. I thought I knew the buzz words! I am so afraid I am going to flunk this portion again, and I am to embark upon student teaching this fall as the final phase of my credential program.
    If I flunk again, they shall boot me out of the program.
    I don't mind failing as long as I learned something from it, however, I don't know what I learned from this failure.
    Again, thank you for putting forth so much effort in order to help me.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2007

Ignatius, what happened with the other three questions in Subtest IV? And have you looked over the content specifications/subject matter requirements document(s) for CSET English?

5. Ignatius

Ignatius Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

Oh I passed those just fine, and here I was only worried about Subtest Two.
    The part I failed was the creative writing portion of Subtest Four.
    I did indeed look over the subject matter qualifications.

Maybe I was over-confident on the creative writing portion? Maybe I over-wrote? Maybe my personality came off as unpleasant, anal-retentive, over-bearing and too critical? Maybe they just did not like me! I am sort of kidding here, but it does seem like some degree of subjectivity can creep in. Or maybe I am just paranoid--yet another negative personality trait of mine. I took it last May and I am to take it again this July.
    Perhaps this is a psychological test in disguise which explains my failing.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2007

A check mark on a constructed response doesn't necessarily mean the test taker aced it, just that the answer wasn't obviously deficient in purpose, knowledge, and support. That is, it's possible to get a check mark without getting more than two out of the possible three points for the question.

7. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jul 10, 2007

CSET english resources

Here are some great resources:
    XAM book CSET English
    Any book on Literary Criticism esp. the history of Different movements
    Acting & Theater by usborne
    Look at any writing rubrics for creative writing section.
    Any Schaum's guide or AP guide for English
    New Mexico Media Literacy project website.
    Also if you download some of the CSET English TEST materials from the CSET website, they will list some resources. You should be able to find some of these materials at a univeristy library. Good luck!

8. Ignatius

Ignatius Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

This is really valuable advice and bears repeating.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 11, 2007

Yup. The skills in thinking and problem solving that we all use every day can be very useful on teacher tests.

10. Ignatius

Ignatius Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

I know this. I did not say I aced anything. I just told you I passed those portions with no problems when you asked how I did.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 11, 2007

Wait, wait: the point wasn't to diss you, it was to note that some of the points you need in order to pass might be available from the other three questions.