Any one else feeling discouraged?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JoanPD, Aug 22, 2018.

1. JoanPD

JoanPD Rookie

Aug 22, 2018

I graduated and got my licensed in my state 2 years ago. I've had several interviews since then.
    After about 6 months, I got an offer and was asked if I could start in a few days. Later that same day I got called back and said, after calling my references, never mind they were looking for someone that had strong classroom management.

More interviews, and got an offer for a job at a school that was suppose to start next week. Got to meet the staff and some of the students, was shown my classroom and even got to start moving some things around. Said no to a long term sub position, since I thought I had a permanent position. Just found out due to some last minute restructuring of the district they don't have a position to offer me anymore.

When I do hear back from an interview, I frequently hear that I was a strong candidate, and would keep me in mind if they have any other openings, but are going with someone with more experience.

(I have had some interviews where I know I haven't done that well also, but I usually don't even hear back from them)

I'm just starting to feel discouraged. Anyone else feel that way?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2018

What experience do you have on your resume?

4. JoanPD

JoanPD Rookie

Aug 22, 2018

I have my subbing experience, where I student taught, the schools I was observing in when in the education program (4)

For non education experience my two retail jobs, the last of which I was at for 11 years.

5. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

Aug 24, 2018

I feel discouraged too, but because I was looking for a para position for about three years. I finally became a substitute band hope this year goes well.

6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Aug 24, 2018

I’m not feeling discouraged as I work in an essentially perfect private school. However, here’s my $0.02 on your situation:

I find it very strange that public school districts do this. If they were looking for someone with “strong classroom management,” then why did they even bother with your application in the first place? Why even entertain an interview just to give you false hope in the end?

This is the craziness I see all the time in public schools. It’s the same, “I’m sorry, but we’re looking for someone who is a better fit” and they then REPOST the job opening after hiring NO ONE. And then the position goes unfilled a lot of the times. Yeah, that makes sense. A better fit is no one at all.

Great job America!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2018

Seems like the OP did well on interview but reference check didn’t go well. And the ‘better fit’ response means just that- another candidate was a better choice. It’s not just public schools- it’s any job for which there are competitive candidates. One must stand out and be compelling so as to be that ‘better fit’.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2018

OP, you may want to have fresh eyes look at your resume. Even though you are a newly licensed teacher, many skill sets that could benefit you as a teacher can be learned outside of teaching, if you truly breakdown the skill sets required to do well at those other jobs. It is up to you, however, to connect the dots for prospective employers. Additionally, you may want to reconsider your references, since they may not be describing you as a "can do" kind of candidate. Some references like you well, but don't share your strengths well when asked to be a reference...I am somewhat suspicious about this because of coming back and rescinding their offer because they wanted someone with strong classroom management. Where do you think that they got the idea that you were lacking strong classroom management skills? I agree with Csacza about better fit, but do wonder about offers that have been rescinded after reference checks.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Aug 24, 2018

If another candidate was a better fit, that is, a teacher with “better classroom management,” or a more experienced candidate, then WHY would they interview a NEW teacher in the first place?

Do you see what I’m saying now?

10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 24, 2018

Because “new teacher” doesn’t automatically equal “poor classroom management”. All schools want strong classroom management... Have you ever heard of a school saying we look for poor classroom management? Plenty of first year teachers get hired under the assumption that they can manage a classroom. It seems that, in this situation, they assumed the OP had good classroom management and found out otherwise during the reference check.

11. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Aug 24, 2018

Yes, I agree somewhat. However, when schools say “we’re looking for established teachers” and interview new teachers and then reject them because they are less experienced, it’s just stupid.

12. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 24, 2018

I've never seen a school ad of that variety. "We're looking for established teachers". Must be a CA thing...

Ms.Holyoke, czacza and bella84 like this.
  13. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 25, 2018

Yeah, I’ve also never heard of an ad like that. And that’s not how the OP described the situation in this thread. In this particular case, based on the OP’s retelling of it, it seems like a reference check issue.

14. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Aug 25, 2018

Thank you, understood.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2018

Because they don’t know who the better fit is until seeing the total package...and that includes an interview, checking recommendations, sometimes a demo lesson, etc. Sometimes a new teacher is a good fit despite not having as much experience as another candidate. Those who hire are looking for candidates they find compelling, passionate, knowledgeable...experience helps and glowing recs are a cherry on top...while poor recs can pull the plug on the whole situation. Surely you can understand that.

16. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Aug 25, 2018

Yes, I agree with you and you’ve made some very valid points. My comments were in regards to job postings I’ve read about where they specifically say they are looking for “experienced” teachers after the new teacher gets to the final round of interviewing only to be turned away. Wouldn’t it just have been easier to only examine the applications of teachers with X+ years of experience? Wouldn’t that logically make more sense? For the better fit scenario, you are correct. I pivoted to the “experience” reason for not hiring someone.

If a new teacher applies and the job posting says experience required, then the interviewee should decline their interview request. BUT, if the posting does not say that, and the new teacher goes through the trouble of doing the interview with the interviewee knowing full aware they’re new, only to say they’re looking for someone with more experience, then it is morally wrong to do that. There was no point in putting them through the hiring process, especially if there are multiple rounds, as it is a waste of everyone’s time. That’s what I’m saying.

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2018

OP didn't say that they were looking for someone with experience, but rather someone with strong classroom management. One can only assume that something the references said or suggested implied that at that specific time, they could not speak accurately as to the strong classroom management skills. Some people show these skill sets as a student teacher, while others do not. Once again, not a matter of X number of years of experience, but rather the possession of a specific skill set. It is highly possible that the references simply were not able to answer the questions presented with conviction, not that the skills were lacking.

bella84 likes this.
  18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2018

I’m not sure where the idea of ads for experienced teachers came into the conversation. If there are situations where newbies are in competition with more experienced teachers, the newbie might have a resume that is interesting or comes highly recommended or has some other compelling feature in their cover letter,etc. When such a new teacher DOES get an interview, it’s up to them to SHINE. And even if not offered the job, the interview gave the newbie ‘interview experience’ and the interviewer might keep that person in mind or pass the name along to another administrator for another opening.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  19. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Aug 26, 2018

I didn’t think of the excellent point you brought up in your last sentence. Interview experience, by itself, IS beneficial to applicants.

20. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Oct 27, 2018

Try getting some experience as a building sub