Any concerns or stipulations about this year?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 26, 2013

Do you have any concerns or stipulations about this year?

Mine is... just being at a new school, teaching a new grade level, and having to set up the classroom somewhat quickly. How about you?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2013

No new contract...negotiations at impasse

4. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jul 26, 2013

Finding out test scores from last year
    My P's new "brilliant" ideas :rolleyes:

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 26, 2013

Working with a new team makes me a little nervous. I know they have their own way of doing things and it doesn't really match my philosophy.

6. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 26, 2013

mentoring two newbies and a student teacher. :dizzy:

I love to help out other people and having them around to help in the classroom. But sometimes....I just want to do my thing. I guess its a pitfall of having seniority.

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2013

I have a feeling it may be a stressful year. We have a new reading/language curriculum and I will be mentoring a new-ish teacher (she only taught a couple years about ten years ago before staying home with her kids). 1/3 of my kiddos are on service plans (what we have instead of IEPs at our parochial school) and we have no special ed resources.

Personally, I will be having a long-distance relationship with my fiancee, planning a wedding from afar, and dealing with the fact that this will be my last year at an amazing school that I love (we will be moving somewhere for his job, but won't find out where until spring).

Bring it on! :dizzy:

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2013

Lots of excitement, as my previous school is "splitting" and half the staff and students are moving to a brand new building (where we'll be about half of the staff and students of the new school). It's thrilling to think that everything will be brand new.

There is trepidation, though--How will we all come together to form a new entity? Will the building be ready? How will the dynamics play out with my grade partners (we have very different styles and philosophies)?

Right now, the excitement is outweighing the trepidation. I'll be working hard to keep it that way.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2013

I'm not elementary, but I thought I'd chime in.

I'm anticipating lots of changes next year. Our admin likes to constantly change things up, and they don't always keep us in the loop about the new rules/policies/procedures or what's expected of us. It can be challenging. I just want to get through without messing anything up.

I'm a new department chair, and my supervisor has already told me that he knows that my job next year will be challenging due to difficult personalities in my department. I want to do a good job, support my colleagues, and make my supervisor proud of me.

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2013

I'm just worried about my after school groups. I have a ton of them, and it's really stressful.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 26, 2013

I'll be departmentalized and my heart is in self-contained. I'll bloom where I'm planted, but I am still in the mourning phase. It'll all be okay. I am going to miss teaching ELAR though.

12. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2013

New school, new ways of doing things, moving in quickly...
    Preparing for maternity leave and everything that comes with that..

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 26, 2013

Lots of issues at the Board office, contract negotiations this year ( I am on the team), new grade level (but I am very happy about this), mold was just found in quite a few rooms in our building.

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 26, 2013

Right now my concern is that we have just over 2 weeks left and we still can't get into our school (an issue with the floors). I'm starting to stress about getting things done. We pack our rooms up each year so they can strip and wax the floors. We put everything out in the hall and it all gets dumped back in the center of our room.

15. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2013

Two new teachers on my team and one seems a bit inflexible. IEPs this year. I may even be assigned to a new subject this year, but I won't know until August sometime.

16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 26, 2013

We are a k-5 splitting into two separate campuses (about a mile apart) this year, so I'm nervous about the complications associated with that. I'm excited and nervous about being in a brand new school! I'm sure there will be lots of hiccups. We've already had to delay our start date.

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2013

I'm a little nervous about teaching a new, testing grade. I'm more excited though, I think. I'm more nervous about tutoring after school. I'll be tutoring ELA to third graders every other week, for 3 days (Tuesday-Thursday), and my coworker will be tutoring them in math on the alternate weeks. I tend to work myself to death as it is, but my boss is in a serious personnel jam, and my kiddos will definitely need the help!

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 26, 2013

I'll be teaching a new grade and even though I will be responsible for less curriculum (I'm moving to a gr.1/2 EBD self-contained from a grade 1-6 EBD, mild-moderate cognitive delayed self-contained class and all of the students that don't fit in a program), I'm still totally psyching myself out.

My principal is also expecting me to do something wonderful to make the teachers "better" teachers and I really don't feel that it is my job. I pay to go to PD sessions to help myself grow as a teacher (it's not my fault the staff I work with don't want to go to PD on their own time or pay and that my school's PD session aren't usefull...):dizzy:

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 26, 2013

I still can't believe I'm going to be an Assistant Principal. My learning curve is definitely going to be steep, but I'm ready to soak up everything my district is going to teach me.

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2013

Yeah, I have one major concern that I can't express here...but yeah, I'm concerned. :unsure:

21. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2013

new evaluation system, getting tenured, lots of new teachers on my grade level (so I'll have a lot of responsibilities), new math and reading programs