Any advice on resigning?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by akconnel, Nov 5, 2018.

1. akconnel

akconnel Rookie

Nov 5, 2018

Next week I plan to tell my principal that I am not coming back next semester. I understand that this has consequences and I have thought it through thoroughly. The bottom line is I am so miserable in this position that the only thing that scares me more than leaving mid-year is staying a full year. I dread going to school every day. On the way to school I stop in a parking lot and just sit there for twenty minutes dreading the day. I cannot keep doing this for five more months. I have to get out.

Can anyone give me advice on how to break the news to my principal? Has anyone been in this situation before?

3. pommom

pommom Comrade

Nov 5, 2018

Sit with your principal and tell him/her that you are unable to fullfill teacher duties at this time. You need to give a good reason. The earlier you let them know the better. Also, they cannot put that job posting up until they have your resignation letter.

I have left a position before. I was able to get out of it without any consequences on my certification.
    The only thing is you may not be rehirable at that district.

otterpop likes this.
  4. akconnel

akconnel Rookie

Nov 5, 2018

I plan on leaving the teaching profession to do a career change. I am just burned out. I tried to recharge my battery (so to speak) by changing schools, then grade levels. Nothing. On top of that I’ve been handed a boxed curriculum that I am required to teach, and it’s horrible! You would think that would at least make for easy lesson planning but it doesn’t. It takes everything out of me to make this curriculum work and is somewhat realistic way. Add to that a large number of special education students (very high needs ones) and very little support for them.

There is a student teacher in the school who graduates in December and I am thinking maybe they can hire her. I think the kids would be better off with a brand new teacher who is still enthusiastic and will have the energy to make this difficult situation work.

5. pommom

pommom Comrade

Nov 6, 2018

The downside of applying to other places while your still teaching is making it to interviews without calling in.
    I hope you find a new career. I was not able to. During a certain period of my life, I applied everywhere to switch careers, even positions I was over qualified for. I just recieved a bunch of rejection emails. I had other professionald look at my resume, and said it looked great.
    I just took this as a sign that I am meant to stay in education. I am working at a school now.
    Teaching is hard, but just take it one day at a time.

6. akconnel

akconnel Rookie

Nov 6, 2018

I’m sorry you couldn’t get out.

I am thinking I’ll go back to school to get a degree in Computer Information Systems. My living situation right now is ideal for it because I don’t have any rent/mortgage or utilities or even grocery bills really. I’m living with my retired mother.

7. alp123

alp123 Companion

Nov 6, 2018

I left a horrible assignment last year and don't regret it. I spoke to a higher up at the district office and had written down all the reasons I could no longer be in that position. Fortunately, I was released from my contract without any consequences. That district and population just wasn't for me. And apparently, 2 more teachers also resigned after me who were hired in that same position, so I don't feel bad. Your mental and emotional health are also important. Do what's right for you and the students and be honest with your P. Good luck!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2018

This sounds like anxiety. Have you seen a dr?

9. corunnermom

corunnermom Rookie

Nov 6, 2018

I just resigned today and will be leaving my position at winter break. It was a tough decision but like you but I dread going to
    school every day and can't wait to go home. I hit complete burnout very early on as I have three students with severe behavior problems. I also just went through a horrible, abusive divorce so I am welcoming some time away. Your emotional
    health is important and life is too short to waste time doing what you don't like. Yes, teaching is challenging but it shouldn't be torture. Things have a way of working themselves out in time. You're not alone!