Anxiety

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by Tjd1990, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Tjd1990

Tjd1990 New Member

Jan 2, 2017

I am a second year teacher at a small Christian school. Though my first year of teaching was horrendous, my anxiety is through the roof here in my second year. I would like to quit as I just do not feel at peace being at this school. However, I would feel terrible putting the school in a situation where they would need to find a new teacher. I get nervous and anxious over everything and I just don't know how much longer I can take it. I would so appreciate your prayers for peace and wisdom in moving forward with the year.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Jan 2, 2017

Many young teachers find it helpful to seek professional help for anxiety issues related to teaching. As you explore this site further, you will see many posts from members who seek help and, perhaps, medications that really help them function more successfully in their job.

In the short term, can you tell us some of the specific issues you are having with your job? The experienced teachers here can give you some helpful ideas.

4. Obadiah

Obadiah Cohort

Jan 3, 2017

I've been concerned that sometimes people misunderstand feelings of stress, often labeling stress as sinful or harmful. Reading through the book of Psalms, one finds that stress is a normal, productive tool. The apostle Paul experienced stress. When he was stoned or beaten, he didn't find the experience pleasant. He even wrote of one particular troubling ailment that he described as a "thorn in the flesh", probably vision loss. Even Jesus experienced stress, and He certainly never sinned. The key is in how we deal with stress.

If God has truly called you to serve in a Christian school, then quitting will be more stressful than what you are currently experiencing. You are God's physical temple, so removing His temple from His designated place would cause more discomfort; you will feel like "a fish out of water". Trying to avoid stress only causes disappointment; it's going to come and this often results in the illusions of "having a bad day" or "bad luck". Sin messed up the current world and so the current world has trouble; trouble can't be avoided. Again, even Jesus Himself didn't avoid trouble.

Stress alerts you that, OK, something is wrong here. Can I fix it? Great! If I can't, great! (Huh)? That's right. As long as you are doing your best under God's power, you can't lose because God is inside you experiencing what you are experiencing. I figure if it's no longer I who lives but Christ who lives in me, then Jesus Himself feels everything I feel. If I feel pain, Jesus feels that, also. If you can fix a problem, there's rarely such a thing as a quick fix. Change takes time. If you can't fix a problem, God's completely aware of that. He guides you through the problem. He doesn't mind listening to our complaints, depression, feelings of inadequacy, whatever, in fact, He desires to listen to us, and we feel so much better when we share honestly how we feel. Again, that's not sin; that's how David prayed in the Psalms as an example of prayer.

I would recommend meditating by reading the Bible and praying. For some people like me, forcing myself to relax by relaxing each individual muscle causes more tension rather than less; I just sit comfortably or lie down and breathe deeply a few times, then if I feel a muscle that is tense, usually my shoulders, I relax them. While doing this I think about memorized Scripture. I find that eating properly, especially emphasizing fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, makes my mind more productive. (Apparently, that's how everyone was to eat until Noah's Deluge). A regular bedtime, even if that means eliminating school-related tasks that I would take home with me, shooting for at least 8 hours of sleep if not 9 (for me, 9 is best) works wonders. (A trick to eliminating unnecessary tasks is to focus on the curriculum, avoiding the extra stuff. For spare time activities, instead of worksheets to grade, assign spare time reading (as in The Book Whisperer), or give the students an on-going math activity, such as finding patterns in Pascal's triangle. Limit extra worksheets to 1 or 2 at the most, or eliminate them entirely). A seemingly counterproductive activity for over-busy teachers is to take a daily 30 minute walk; it's actually a time-saver--your heart runs your brain, and your brain is used by your spirit to perform your daily tasks. I personally believe this is part of what Solomon meant when he said to "keep your heart with all diligence...." Just a few tips that I've found helpful.

I will be praying daily for you.

5. Education4all

Education4all Rookie

Jan 9, 2017

Hang in there. You should definitely not take medication, like anti-anxiety and anti-depressants. They are very dangerous and addictive drugs. If you cannot find natural ways to handle your anxiety then maybe teaching is not for you. Taking drugs so you can work a job is the wrong solution and will be detrimental to your health in the long run. Many people find ways to cope and handle the stresses of life without being hopped up on drugs.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2017

This is terrible advice. Don't listen to this.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 9, 2017

Agreed. While I prefer talk therapy over medication, it's the equivalent of being able to control diabetes with diet instead of needing insulin. If you need the medication, YOU NEED IT!

ms.irene, Peregrin5 and Obadiah like this.
  8. Education4all

Education4all Rookie

Jan 9, 2017

The question is this, would leaving the teaching profession alleviate the anxiety? If yes, then the environmental change is your solution. Taking psychotropic drugs are far from a solution. Plus, she is working at a Christian school which is private. If a private school is too much for you to handle then teaching is probably not your calling.

Secondary Teach likes this.
  9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2017

I'm sure that some private schools are no walk in the park. And, honestly, we have no idea if leaving teaching would alleviate the anxiety. Sometimes anxiety and depression can be situational. They're still anxiety and depression, though, and for some people they can be debilitating. If a person talks with their doctor and discovers that meds work for them, why not take them?

I think I've talked about it on here before, but I have a long history of depression. For me, talk therapy does nothing. My depression is entirely chemical, which means that meds are extremely effective for me. I'm very lucky in this way, even moreso because I don't have to give up a job I love because some pompous womp thinks that needing meds equals inability to teach.

Backroads, ms.irene and anon55 like this.
  10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 9, 2017

There are all sorts of things wrong with this...

Leaving any job could potentially alleviate anxiety. That doesn't mean that job isn't for me. I love my job, but I would find life so much easier if I didn't have to teach. Unfortunately, money is a necessity in this world, and so I make a sacrifice.

I also have been diagnosed with depression, and while I am currently not on medication, I have required medication in the past. I trust my doctor about my medications more than I trust someone on an internet forum, but that's just me.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Jan 10, 2017

Absolutely ignore this advice. As other posters have said, depression is very often a medical issue, needing appropriate medication.

12. Obadiah

Obadiah Cohort

Jan 10, 2017

I agree with the several posters above, sometimes anxiety is best treated medically. As I said above, stress and anxiety are normal, beneficial parts of life, but they can also become detrimental. It is not wrong to need professional assistance in dealing with anxiety. I feel limited by the confines of space to post all the information that I've researched. Just briefly, concerning "natural" cures, I have high respect for many such procedures, but in my current situation of my cancer's (physical) side effects, I did a lot of research. Many natural therapists and herbalists unfortunately are quite deceptive. They even back their "research" up with peer reviewed journals, but upon close examination, the supposed research is fabricated; they figure no one will really look up the research to find it doesn't exist. I was going to go to a nearby "medical center" for a natural treatment. I got suspicious when I had to pay before I could make an appointment; then, getting the "nurse" to describe the procedure, I recognized right away a specific fake procedure they would use. Many herbs are physically dangerous and my doctor advised me to be aware of anything that could damage my liver. I even found that overuse of vitamins to prevent cancer can even cause cancer. My point is, if natural cures are attempted, it's best to be cautious, cautious, cautious! Back to the original point, however, medication is a controlled prescription. If all drugs were to be avoided, then coffee, tea, and even chocolate (which has a couple of mind effecting drugs in it) would be off limits.

13. Education4all

Education4all Rookie

Jan 10, 2017

Try smoking a joint to help with your mental/emotional instability. It is natural, has helped countless conditions, and no one has ever overdosed or killed themselves from the side effects. Unfortunately I cannot say the same for SSRI's and Benzodiazepines. So go ahead and take your "legal" psychoactive drug because your doctor with their utmost care for your well being has prescribed it. Let us all take our happy pill in complete ignorance as these psychotropic drugs bring in tens of billions of dollars each year.

So as educators who are suppose to teach students how to think for themselves, maybe some of us should be looking in the mirror.

14. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 10, 2017

Oh lord... :rolleyes:

jteach89, anon55 and Caesar753 like this.
  15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 10, 2017

I love it when people with little to no scientific training think they have more knowledge and experience than trained doctors and scientists and attempt to spread their ignorance to others. That can't have any detriment at all to public health. </sarcasm>

Really though, being unable to do your job is a perfectly valid reason for seeking out therapy or medication from your doctor if you need it. I felt unable to function in my job due to severe allergies during allergy season. It was only because I was unable to function in my job that my doctors and insurance allowed me to take allergy shot immunotherapy. If it was just to enjoy personal benefit from it, my insurance probably wouldn't have covered it.

Working is a large part of your life, and you have a right to seek treatment to be able to work in a job of your choice. Many people do. If you are someone that normally struggles with anxiety, I would see professional help as others have stated. That may or may not include medication. My boyfriend takes medication for his anxiety and he says it's changed his world for the better. I used to also be anti-medication, but being diagnosed with ADHD as an adult and actually trying out ADHD medication, I can tell you it made a world of difference, and I no longer feel as "broken" (unable to focus or function in focused environments, even though I knew I was intellectually capable) as I used to.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    ms.irene and Obadiah like this.
  16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2017

[​IMG]

Okay, so we weren't actually talking about marijuana. Many of us live in places where medicinal and/or recreational marijuana use is legal. If that's the safest and best option for some people to manage their mental health, so be it. I certainly never claimed otherwise. For me, a particular antidepressant, which happens to be neither an SSRI nor a benzo, works wonders.

You're being completely illogical. In your first post in this thread, you talk about how teachers shouldn't need to take drugs in order to do their jobs, and then you follow it up by suggesting that teachers take drugs. You're not making any sense.

Finally, get a grip. People who make medical decisions in consultation with their doctors are not typically idiots who cannot think for themselves. Again, you're not making any sense. But if it helps you to think that you are, go for it.

[​IMG]

anon55 likes this.
  17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 10, 2017

Let's move away from suggestions that could impede / endanger the OP's career. The request was for prayers of support.

ms.irene and Obadiah like this.
  18. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Jan 10, 2017

Thanks for being honest about this. I think more of us teachers need to be open about our mental health challenges because I'm quite sure it's very common in our profession.

Obadiah and monsieurteacher like this.
  19. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Jan 16, 2017

I will pray for you but continue to pray and ask God for His direction. If im ever at a point where my health is compromised it may not be the place for me. Your health comes first. At the beginning of my school year I was very stressed and I still am. However I'm pondering and praying to God for His will in my career. But I will definitely be praying for you and peace for this school year.

20. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Jan 28, 2017

Ha, ha?
    :)

21. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Jan 28, 2017

Ha, ha?
    But, I tend to agree with this part. Christian schools tend to have smaller classroom sizes and less bureaucracy than their public neighbors. I think accepting a position elsewhere would only cause more stress. Maybe a school with a different type of environment could help with this or not teaching all together. We don't what makes him/her nervous. It could be presenting information in a front of a large or even small size of people? We need more details here.
    :)