Anxiety/Panic Attacks

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kinderkids, Nov 10, 2009.

1. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2009

Have any of you dealt with a family member (son or daughter) who experiences these to the point that it required medication? Have they ever gotten better? Just needing some support or a shoulder from someone who has experienced this with a loved one. Thanks.

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 10, 2009

Kinderkids. Yes, my grandson had very bad anxiety attachs. The first time he had one, I thought he was coming down off drugs. He was on two kinds of meds and saw a counselor. He took the meds for a couple years, and now that he is 18, he has outgrown the need.

The first few weeks were really scarey. PM me if you need some privacy.

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2009

TY for the reply, Blue. It is very scary to see a loved one go through it. :(

5. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Nov 10, 2009

It wasn't a son or daughter but my mother suffered from both panic and anxiety disorder for years. Medicine did help but eventually (after 10 years or so) it had gotten so bad that she needed enough medicine that she got addicted. After a LONG rehab/recovery phase she joined a meditation type group and never needed medicine again, and also never had an attack again. So yes, it can get better and medicine can help it for a long time.

It is a very scary thing to witness and I am so sorry you have to go through it. If you want more information on the type of group (or class) my mom took PM me and I can find out more information.

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Nov 10, 2009

Kinder--I suffer from panic attacks and have been on meds for several years. They are very few and far between at this point but they are scary for me and they have scared my hubby and kids on several occasions unfortunately.

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2009

Ty all for your replies. It helps to talk or hear from someone who has been through it either personally or with a loved one. I appreciate all of you willing to open up and discuss it on here. It is so hard to see someone you love go through it and the helplessness I feel is overwhelming.
    This happened the first time over two years ago and was treated with meds. I was hoping it would never come back, but unfortunately I was wrong. I think this may be chronic. :(

8. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Nov 10, 2009

I have suffered from anxiety attacks before. I had my first one when I was 13 but was not aware that it was anxiety. I had a really tough time in college. With counseling and medication, I have been able to work through most anxiety issues. I haven't had an anxiety attack in a couple of years. They are scary to have and to witness. My parents and my roommates at the time were very worried.

I hope whoever you are worried about is able to get the help they need. Counseling really helped me.

9. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2009

My son had them. He started with them around 18 and they finally eased up around age 27. Apparently that's a typical age span, although of course they happen at other ages and for other lengths of time. He hasn't had one for quite awhile,and is just now begining to feel back in control.

He took Paxil for about a month and found its side affects to be too much to deal with. When he tried to stop taking it, the withdrawal symptoms were very bad. We've since discovered a lot about Paxil. Look it up on the Internet.

Because of that experience, he stopped taking any daily medicine and instead used a tranquilizer if it got severe. But mostly we both read up on it and discovered ways to deal with it through a different type of breathing, and simply a recognition of what was happening to the body. That, and the care of a doctor who told him he wasn't crazy and that it was a chemical misfiring.

It is a horrible thing to watch someone go through this. Know that it will ease up, and reading about ways to keep it from spiraling out of control will help significantly.

By the way, being prone to panic attacks runs in families.

10. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Nov 10, 2009

I suffer from anxiety attacks too. The first time I had one, I thought I was having a heart attack at the ripe old age of 22. I have never taken meds for them, because they don't adversely affect my well-being, generally speaking, but they are quite unnerving. My way of coping was to more about them, and I kept a journal for a while when I was getting them frequently. I learned what kids of stresses were triggers and I learned how to recognize when one was coming on and how to calm myself back down. Having that bit of control really helped me.

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2009

I'm calling the doctor today to hopefully get the meds started again. Prozac seemed to help last time. sigh. This is so hard.
    Thanks again to everyone for your replies.

12. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 11, 2009

:hugs::hugs::hugs::love: You've got mail......

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Nov 11, 2009

My DH has panic attacks. They are scary to watch. I didn't know he had them, and I had NO idea what to do the first time I saw one.

He also has OCD and Aspergers, and he was taking buspar for awhile. I thought it helped, but he didn't like taking it and stopped.

He is to the point where he cannot function normally on a consistent basis. Fortunately, his job allows him to have "down time" when he needs it.

14. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Nov 12, 2009

I encourage you to read about them online. Understanding what's going on really helps getting over them. Understanding that they're not harmful and that the sensations will stop soon helps calm a person down.

15. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Nov 12, 2009

I don't have any family members that do but I do myself. I used to get them several times a day and several times at night but now I get about 3 or 4 a week. I would consider asking what helps your son/daughter feel better. For example being hugged might be enough to make one person safer, whereas for another, touching them could be the worst thing you could possibly do.

I know that Zoloft helps a lot of people with anxiety, so it might be worth asking your doctor about it.

16. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 12, 2009

Well it is my son who is going through this. He is also on the autism spectrum, so communicating what is going on, how he feels is difficult. He was put back on Prozac today. The doctor recommended he stay on it for at least a year, and then reevaluate how he is doing. Thankfully, it seemed to balance him out the last time this happened, so I'm hoping to see the same results.
    Ima, my concern too is for him being able to hold a job. This is where the biggest area of stress seems to be coming from for him. He already has had to miss several days, but I'm thankful they are understanding at his current place of employment. I know it won't always be that way for him. It worries me. Some days he cannot function at all.

17. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Nov 12, 2009

My DH has PTSD, ever since he returned from Iraq in 2006. With it, he has panic attacks... they were really bad when he was first diagnosed and with medication + therapy, he's come a long way. He's been off the meds for almost a year now, but yesterday he had his first panic attack since then. He was quite upset; he, too, thought he was over them.

18. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 12, 2009

Your son will make it, Kinder.... He has the backing of a wonderful family...... and an absolutely fabulous Mom........:hugs:... Sending you an email......:love:

19. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Nov 13, 2009

I have panic attacks myself and they can be unnerving. I had a bad attack earlier this year. I was feeling a tingling all the way down the right side of my body from head to toe. It was very scary because you begin to think heart attack or stroke. But the doctor did a series of test to determine that it was an anxiety attack. The thing with me is that I was on a mild drug, but it did not help. therefore, she had to prescribe something stronger for me. I hope that your child feels better and can bounce back soon.

20. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 13, 2009

I went to accupuncture for my anxiety/depression. I didn't want to take any medicine. It worked and I felt better

21. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Nov 13, 2009

I used to have quite severe PTSD myself. Therapy and medication has made a huge difference for me too. I'm sorry to hear your husband has had to go through PTSD symptoms.

Please tell your husband not to lose faith in the fact he has come a long way, though. A lot of the time when we are stressed our flashbacks and panic attacks will resurface for a bit, but it is more a symptom of stress than a sign of not having healed.